Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We managed to get some very fresh Bristol Bay reds from my wife's co-worker who has a son that works on a fishing boat out that way and this was the first time we've eaten one. We've usually eat either Kenai or Copper River reds, I also have some Copper River reds and some king in the freezer that got in a trade for some moose a few weeks back. We're going to try the Copper River reds and see how it compared to the BB version but I was wondering if there really is a difference in taste between the 2 from those that have had both?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

BP-B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well... I have had both. Not sure that my unsophisticated pallet can tell the difference. I like them both. I have friend that lives in the town of Kenai. Is coming to AZ in 3 weeks, and bringing me some REDS. YUM !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe its in my mind, but I think Coppers are a firmer fish and better tasting.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BB fish suffer from rougher handling and long waits at the processor...

Copper River fish, especially early in the run, are babied to maintain the image as the best. They also mostly run farther and start with more good fat.

The difference is small, but Copper or Kenai (second run) are the best IMO.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Copper river fish have the best marketing.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Heck, we think we can taste a difference between Kasilof and Kenai reds, and they are only a few miles apart. There is a definite difference in average size.

I haven't eaten a Copper red in about 40 years, but they are definitely in the top 2.

Handling has much to do with it. Fish that die in the gill net are not nearly as good as those that are alive-bonked (gillnet, dip net, rod-caught), and gill ripped to bleed out. I like dip-netted fish the best - no long struggle involved. Those rod fisherman that put live salmon on a stringer to rest for awhile may have something.

Most commercially caught fish, in addition to being deaders in the net, are tossed in a hold or tote without bonking or bleeding (if still alive) and not delivered or even iced for hours, then may spend up to 48 hours in an iced tote at the processors before being butchered.

For this "additional handling" - you pay - what? $12/lb? I can't recall ever buying salmon in the store, but I've crewed on commercial boat and beach site both. I'll catch my own, thank you.

Of course - I have a choice. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
BB fish suffer from rougher handling and long waits at the processor...

Copper River fish, especially early in the run, are babied to maintain the image as the best. They also mostly run farther and start with more good fat.

The difference is small, but Copper or Kenai (second run) are the best IMO.
The reds that we got from my wifes co-worker came straight from his boat and didn't go to a processor, if that makes any difference.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've eaten Copper,Kenai,Eshamy,Main Bay ,Bristol Bay and Coghill Reds,but never all fresh at the same time to do a side by side comparison,to me a Fresh Copper Red has a more flovorful taste,after they've been frozen I can't tell the difference.People put so much goop on top of their fish that mask the flavor,nothing wrong with just flour ,Salt and Pepper.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Flour?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Flour?

Its made from wheat. Free range flour is good for you. Maybe he meant flower?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a little flour and pan fry,not used when cooked any orther way.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=las]

Most commercially caught fish, in addition to being deaders in the net, are tossed in a hold or tote without bonking or bleeding (if still alive) and not delivered or even iced for hours, then may spend up to 48 hours in an iced tote at the processors before being butchered.
quote]

At least in Bristol Bay, the big companies are requiring RSW (refridg salt water) holds so the fish are basically on ice within 2-5 min of being caught.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Copper river fish have the best marketing.

This is the truth. They have great marketing and like Sitka Deer said, the CR fish are handled with care and brought to market faster and fresher and are treated with kid gloves from the moment they're brought onboard. Those early first of the season fish bring ridiculous money down here, like $39.99 a pound ridiculous at the Market. Everything being even, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the two.

Several years back I had a neighbor that was always FOS and was gods gift to knowledge. I smoked up some Chum I'd just caught and gave it to him as an early Christmas gift. A couple days later he told me that was the best smoked king he'd ever had and then spent 15 minutes explaining to me how he could tell it was a king (I removed the skin after smoking 😉).

I'm not really a salmon snob and enjoy smoked chum. Hell I'm not too proud to admit that I enjoy fresh grilled humpy that I caught, bled, gutted and iced immediately. 😁

I draw the line at sardines, in mustard, in olive oil, in porcupine crap it won't touch my lips. I'm likely to eat rattle snake before eating baitfish.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I draw the line at sardines, in mustard, in olive oil, in porcupine crap it won't touch my lips. I'm likely to eat rattle snake before eating baitfish.

I am about the least adventurous food person I know, but I had sardines for the first time just over a year ago, and they are great. You are missing out.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cwh2

I am about the least adventurous food person I know, but I had sardines for the first time just over a year ago, and they are great. You are missing out.

A can of sardines sent to 60 fathoms tastes like spot prawns. 😁

I'm pretty omnivorous so I probably should try them. I like sushi, sashimi but anchovies on pizza ruined me on eating tiny fish.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by the guy who puts pistachios in his coleslaw

Fixt

But a big 10-4 on the sardines. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Fixt

Having been there for both events I can only say you are about the only human less adventurous than Chris... I liked the slaw... and the bait...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slm9s
[quote=las]

quote]

At least in Bristol Bay, the big companies are requiring RSW (refridg salt water) holds so the fish are basically on ice within 2-5 min of being caught.

If only...

RSW is far from instantaneous and saving a few bucks by not starting your system until you have to is a far-from-uncommon-practice... been there, seen that...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2

A can of sardines sent to 60 fathoms tastes like spot prawns. 😁

I'm pretty omnivorous so I probably should try them. I like sushi, sashimi but anchovies on pizza ruined me on eating tiny fish.

Stick said it first... something about the best recipe for bear meat started with a 40 fathom saltwater soak... left it tasting remarkably like shrimp...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Fixt

Having been there for both events I can only say you are about the only human less adventurous than Chris... I liked the slaw... and the bait...

Oops.

wink

Last edited by ironbender; 07/26/17. Reason: Oops

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.