Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hopefully this is ok to post since it's gone thru a few times with no bites yet. I don't know enough about these to know what I'm looking at. Figured it must be overpriced or it would have been bought by now in that condition. Is it still original and factory?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/672452413

LOL
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have expected a letter be available hoping it would show delivery to Great Britain and in what form with regard to sights. The BP is rare but has been seen. That's all I got Roy, didn't see anything fishy.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Pretty rifle. I'd want a letter.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Is that a crack in photo 12?

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Might be? I'd sure want a letter on it too! The barrel stamping leaves me scratching my head...

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know about the fancy 99 but I'd go for the carbine if I had the scratch.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would you bid 9500 for a savage when new ones go for 299?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
His price has dropped, it was up around $12,000. He had several interesting guns, one was a 4 digit 1895 that he advertised as a very early 1899, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Sure looks like it!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
His price has dropped, it was up around $12,000. He had several interesting guns, one was a 4 digit 1895 that he advertised as a very early 1899, Joe.

He has 7 less than he used to. wink

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's an 1895 buttplate. I wonder if it's numbered to the rifle? It's unlikely the factory would still have one lying around in 1906. I paid about 2/3rds that much for "B" engraved, flame checkered 1902 vintage 1899A that is almost that nice. While I got a good deal, I think that rife is overpriced especially if the number on the BP doesn't match. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know I'm arguing minutiae here but 1906 is only 11-years after 1895. I think its quite possible for factories to have items such as butt plates kicking around for that long. Now back to that discussion about angels and pinheads (I mean the sewing implement and not people of slow wit and limited reasoning).........

Last edited by S99VG; 07/25/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
The barrel stamping leaves me scratching my head...

First thing I thought of.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
I think its quite possible for factories to have items such as butt plates kicking around for that long.

How likely is it that butt plate made it from the Marlin production line to Utica, NY?

Second thing I thought of.

If I were going to spend XK on that gun, I sure would want to see the letter and the matching serial numbers.

Just me.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 99guy

How likely is it that butt plate made it from the Marlin production line to Utica, NY?

"Ok, you guys. We want all the leftover parts- everything you got- loaded into that box car by the end of the week, 'cause we're outta here! Da boss sez a barrel of beer for the lot of youse if nuttin's broke."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by S99VG
I think its quite possible for factories to have items such as butt plates kicking around for that long.

Second thing I thought of.

If I were going to spend XK on that gun, I sure would want to see the letter and the matching serial numbers.

Just me.

Very likely. If my contract for producing guns had came to completion at a certain factory (like Savage's was at Marlin) and I was setting up shop in a new plant (like Savage did in Utica), I would be certain to take everything with me that I paid good money to have made with my name on it. I can easily see a lot of Marlin made "private label" Savage product going out the door to the new plant. Now pass me another barrel of beer!

Last edited by S99VG; 07/25/17.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those are British Proof marks. They always use the term NITRO PROOF, ( Nitrocellulose) and then Tons Per sq. in. and the square inch mark is just a square drawn in small. I recognize the Proof Marks as British Crowns, If you buy the little book on proofs, or pick it up at the Library you'll see it all there. Also I'm sure that that is English walnut on the butt, but the forearm may be American black Walnut. The backsight looks to be for hunting close up in bush. A fast rifle maybe in Africa used by an Englishman. They look after firearms very well in Great Britain. I'l bet you the bore is pristine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Malcolm
The backsight looks to be for hunting close up in bush.

That back sight also looks way to tall to work with the front sight, from what I can see of the front sight in picture No 1, the only picture that shows it.

Gene
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone really think its worth 9.5K?

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never been in a position to pay that much for a rifle. For that kind of money I could buy 4 or 5 of the nicest '03 Springfields out there, a couple Dakota single shots, a presentable Harley-Davidson, or a decent used Audi. In other words, although I appreciate such fine guns I have other more pressing interests, and I'm happy to let them to the well heeled collectors or those who need to stroke their egos.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,579 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.