I think 1/2 mile is ok with your breed if not a big ranging dog

I use 1 mile when I had gsp's and pointers

I recently went to a GPS collar

BP-B2

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ribka- Thanks for the advice/info. I've been given advice elsewhere on the GPS collar, but they are just more than I want to/can spend right now. I doubt Hank has ever been more than 1/2 mile from me when hunting, except for once. He took off after a jackrabbit in ND. laugh

I'll probably still try to use a whistle as well for a backup and to help with recall for my wife. Hank doesn't like to come to her as readily as he does for me.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Something I didn't mention in the previous post about the fun hunt trial, is that Hank did not munch on the retrieved birds. I have been playing more fetching games with bumpers, which may have helped. I was just happy he didn't munch the darn things. Will be shooting some pigeons over him this weekend, so we'll see if that good news continues.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got in a bit of water work yesterday in anticipation of see how he does with live ducks in a couple of weeks. He LOVES the water and seems to almost prefer retrieving out of it than on land... Any who, I don't know who enjoyed the lesson more, the dog or my helpers! laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
good stuff,,,,I'm beginnging a similar journey with a new drahthaar,,,,,she's 13 weeks old and we are learning,,,,,,,I've been a dog man for 40+ years but always hounds and one lab,,,,,but now a new friend,,,,,

thanks for sharing your journey

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
IC B2

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck with the DD!! The ones I've been around are GREAT hunting dogs. Looks like I got bit by the photobucket monster. Thread is quite lame now without the pics...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoyed reading about the journey with your new dog. My wife convinced me to get a male GWP pup this Feb. Our 3 yr old GWP female took to him immediately. Now they play together and hunt the property. Looking forward to the quail opener this Oct. Lots of training to do in the meantime.
Snake avoidance training next saturday.

I would encourage you to get a tracking collar. I realize they are pricey but should you loose a dog, as I did before those collars were available, the agony of trying to find the dog makes the collar worth far more than any money you have to spend. Dealing with a lost dog for a few days will turn you inside out. This is something no one needs to endure any longer. Sure your dog won't wander off but all it takes is once! Heck he could fall into a mine shaft (as a friend's did in Montana) or some other strange situation. How would you find him?

It can be an invaluable tool as you will know if the dog is on point when out of sight and you won't encourage him to return via buzzer or whistle. In heavy cover you will know what the dog is doing and if he has suddenly come across a deer and is chasing it.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AZ- Thanks for the kudos and good luck with the new pup! I'd love to get Hank to AZ to see if he could figure out quail there without getting ever sticker and spine in the country inside him. I've hunted Gambels on foot without a dog and Mearns with a guide. Quite the experiences, both of them!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dang I sure wish your pics would show up! Stupid photobucket!! Pudelpointer is on our short list

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Last weekend was another training day. Had ordered a couple of ducks to get him some experience with them. First one we taped the wings up and let go on dry land. He flinched, but then caught on that what we wanted. Got 2 retrieves out of that bird... Next one just had the flight feathers plucked and set loose on the water. Took him a bit to catch up to him, but boy did he seem to like it!! Got 3 live retrieves from that bird...

Here's Hank bringing back his first water retrieved duck.
[Linked Image]Untitled

Last edited by pointer; 07/12/17.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
hank seems to be coming along great!

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by J_D_Patrick
hank seems to be coming along great!
Thanks! I'm happy with his progress considering the limited time I have to work with him due mostly to kids activities. Lately we've been working on "steady" to flush with the bumpers in the yard. He's kinda getting it, but then will get too excited and take off before I can give the "fetch" command.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This past weekend, I joined a guy from the local conservation club in Michigan's UP for Hank and I's first attempt at ruffed grouse. The country and birds are much different than the planted birds we hunt at home or the CRP/shelterbelts we hunted pheasants in North Dakota last year. This is the cover we were seeking out and where we were finding birds.
[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Wary birds and cover like that means that you can get a lot of birds ups and not a lot of shot opportunities and many times not even a glimpse of the flush, just the sound. The guy I went with has two Braque Fracais and we usually ran Hank with the female. She's older and has a pretty good grasp of how to hunt this cover and these birds. This was good for me as I could see how she was reacting and then could guage how Hank would react when covering the same ground. He would usually get birdy where she did and you could tell he was picking up something in the same places, which was good news for me. The first day, Hank got his first point in...of a dead bird! lol Guy shot and we didn't see the bird go down, we worked forward and all of the sudden Hank turned inside out and POINT! The bird was dead, but it was a treat to see that light bulb come on. Later that same day, after bumping a few prematurely, he finally struck a point on a woodcock. They were out of season, but it was fun to see him pick up on another species.

The final morning, we hunted Hank by himself to see how he'd do. When alone, he didn't range out quite as far, but he did hunt and work the cover well. In about an hour and half he put up three grouse, two that he pointed; the last was which was a blast to watch. These ruffeds run more than I had ever seen the ones in UT and ID do. Hank started getting birdy and lined out a bit on a track. POINT! I moved in and he moved up. Nothing. We kept working it and about 20yards later he pointed again! Once more of that same routine and he finally got the bird pinned. He locked up as well as he does (he's far from a stylish point) and the bird got up. I had a bit of shot opportunity, but didn't connect. Regardless it was great to see him doing it seemingly well and on his own.

In summary, we didn't bag a lot of birds, but we moved quite a bit birds. The weather was unseasonably hot which resulted in many more mosquito's than anticipated. Hank does not like to hunt too long at 80º. It was a new experience for both of us and a good time. I'd like to get back there or to similar country and try it later in the year with the leaves off and possibly some snow on the ground. Some things we need to work on; steadiness to point. He broke point a bit more than he should. Once to the point of flushing then proceeding to catch a fat, lazy woodcock. He's still crowding birds a bit too much, but I'm not sure how I can help him figure that out. I think wild birds, if given enough exposure to them, will teach him that. And lastly, some basic obedience. His recall was great! Even coming to the tone of the ecollar. Heel was good enough to not get him in trouble in the field. Being better at heel and stay would have gotten him into less trouble at the cabin. I was pretty darn tickled how he did. He's far from finished or even a good hunting dog, but he's getting better, he's mine, and we had fun!

Hank's 1st and 2nd ruffed grouse!
[Linked Image]DSCN2148 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr
[Linked Image]DSCN2156 by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Other shots from the trip
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4363/37344273925_81af5cbb60_b.jpg[/img]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Upon seeing this one, my boys were like "Hank's wrestling! He's putting in the half-Nelson!"... :rolleyes:
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4419/37153216876_3c58fe8a85_b.jpg[/img]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like he is turning into a great dog. In the cover you were in, I'd never touch a feather on a grouse.

Last edited by 30338; 09/20/17.
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's tough shooting that's for sure. Not sure if great is the proper adjective, but we have fun and every once in a while get something killed.

Though I don't get to do it as often as I'd like, but it makes me smile watching how happy a dog is doing what they were bred/trained to do. It's easy to tell by watching them that they are doing what they were meant to do.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
[Linked Image]

That face really says it all...... laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice work Pointer! Hank's on it, gonna be a great season for you!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like he did just fine for his first go on Eastern Ruffed Grouse. High temps do little for his nose or endurance and leaves still up the same for the shooting.

That second Bird looks like a big Bull Grouse, but an abundance of young Birds is what one hopes for. I'd say you both did fine under difficult conditions.

Heading up there in a couple weeks.

laissez les bons temps rouler
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the kind words. I think he'll do just fine if I can get more birds in front of him. I don't live in a place with wild birds of any number...

You guys with dogs will get my dilemma. I drew a hard to draw elk tag and a deer tag in MT this fall. That's good. The bad part is that trip is going to eat up a bunch of leave I had hoped to use for a bird trip or two. The tags are for an area known to hold some sharptails and huns. So, now I'm considering on taking Hank with me to MT. Will probably board him nearby until the big game tags are filled as I'm not sure he or I have the patience for him to be along on that portion of the trip. May have him along for the the deer part, but most certainly not the elk part. Perfect plan would be to tag out the first day or two and leave a few days to chase birds. Here's to hoping we can pull that off!

Battue- That second bird was by far the biggest we shot on the trip.

Last edited by pointer; 10/02/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I enjoyed the hunt recap,,,,my 6 month old pup and I are headed to the UP here in a week or so (depends on work schedule),,,,hope to get on some birds but will be happy just to explore for next year

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 71 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,357
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.