Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's your aversion to AICS mags?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Dave MDT makes a chassis that does not suck and they have an AICS knockoff and magpul also makes AICS pattern mags.

I am enjoying the RAR in the mdt and the mdt mags are everything a pmag could wish to be.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by fredIII; 07/31/17.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I simply cannot see the value in rifles that expensive.
After reviewing rifles, I simply saw too many that would plop bullets way under the inch to warrant spending that much money.
Yesterday at the range I shot several groups with a .25/06 with match barrel and trued Model 70 action ($550 worth) that went .115". 317" and .223"
Also have a .30/06 Featherweight that puts 150 grain Partitions into slightly larger groups and a BACO Super Grade in 7x57 that shot its best group using the 175gn Partition at .295"

I know full well I had a good day at the range yesterday, being 57 degrees and overcast, but that is why I went.

As an aside, there is a husband and wife promotions team that flogs a high end rifle with the usual adornments and the edited show regularly shows them dropping game at sniper ranges. There is a recent version where the lady in the outfit shoots a moose under 100 yards and when the outfitter says to shoot again, the 2nd shot hits the water in front of the moose and the 3rd way over its back also into the water. Shot number 4 or maybe the effects of shot number 1, cause it to drop as Moose commonly seem to take a few seconds to drop after a hit.

The point is, that being a rifleman is much more important that the tool selected. That's why many of you have a grandfather that fed his family using an open sighted whatever he could afford, lousy by today's standards, factory ammo and wearing a BO impregnated set of Bib and Brace overalls.

Sometimes it is best to take an impartial look at facts.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JustinL1
If you guys were going to get one of the advertised "Long Range" rifles like Fierce, MOA, or Gunwerks rifles- do any stand out as better than the rest? I am probably going to build a rifle from a 700, too- but would like to try one of these, someday. Was just wondering if I should be looking at one more closely than the others...thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

I have never heard of any of those.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My collection of LR build rifles pales compared to many but they have all been superb. I did my research, had a good idea what I was after and ha e always been pleased with the results. They all have shot ridiculously well, cleaned super easy and have been nothing but a pleasure to own and shoot. Quality rifles from good named smiths with solid reputations rarely disappoint. Hell I had Pacnor put one together for me and it too is a hammer.

Pacnor 280ai on a R700 action
[Linked Image]

KMW 300 WM on a R700 action
[Linked Image]

GAP 7WSM on a surgeon action.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mallardaditc
That's pretty good looking stuff.

My 7wsm is about three weeks out. Can't wait had to buy 100 rounds of load d ammo to get brass. But oh well. Looking forward to flinging 180's out of it.
Bought some hornady 300 wsm brass to form but the shoulders claps (to soft) probably great for 300 but not so for forming. Probably going to snag some Norma and try if I can't work hard the shoulders with the stainless steel media.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I simply cannot see the value in rifles that expensive.

Sometimes it is best to take an impartial look at facts.

Most people don't like facts......Its all about pretending to feel warm and fuzzy and trying to impress the uneducated masses with dazzle and BS. Less than $1000 all in will get you where you need to be and for most it will take years if not a lifetime to learn to make what they have work

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 10/17/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know anything about you; what you have or your experience, but if it were me and I was just getting started, I'd get one of those factory chassis guns or put a good donor in one and shoot until I felt the gun was holding me back. Saw a review or two about the RPR in .223 and was very impressed. I'd be at it a while with that one myself before I'd be getting itchy feet. Either of the Predator models (RAR or Hawkeye) would do to learn with too, I'll bet if you're allergic to chassis guns.

$4K would buy any of those and a lot of ammo or amazing glass.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have had several rifles rebarreled by Precision Barrel Works. They shoot 1/2 groups. All were Remington 700’s. I probably have 1500.00 in them.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JustinL1
If you guys were going to get one of the advertised "Long Range" rifles like Fierce, MOA, or Gunwerks rifles- do any stand out as better than the rest? I am probably going to build a rifle from a 700, too- but would like to try one of these, someday. Was just wondering if I should be looking at one more closely than the others...thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

I have never heard of any of those.

Dave

+ 1. I've never seen any of these is in the flesh including ranges and comps. At least not in my area. Mackay's CTR suggestion with chassis is a great one. I'm impressed with my bone stock CTR's. The Bergara HMR's I've shot had a lot of great features (AICS mag compatible, decent stock, etc.) If looking to spend more, GAP, AI, and many other customs over what you're looking at.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For a LR hunting rig, I'd think about:

Kelbly Atlas tactical action $999
X-caliber bbl $250
Timney trigger $150
XLR element chassis $550
Sierra precision grip (I can't stand the ergo grip) $40
Magazine $60
Plus gunsmith fees

Send it to a good smith and I'd put it up against any of those $4000 rigs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I get a little confused what some feel are long range guns ? is it 500 yards ? 1000 yards ? 1500 yards ? i have guns that do all these ranges some are custom some are just normal guns trick out a little. but you wanna talk long range i built with a weatherby accumark a 338 lapua with a 28 in bonx barrel " barrel work by straight line machine > which has guns that have won national and state titles out 1000 yards in USA,he also does alot of swat guns , custom work for cartridge companies and the medical field too " i have a 8-32 x56 nite force scope and my handloads.this gun has better specs than any military rifle too. i have the privilege to shoot and hunt some with a real USA sniper who worked at the Whitehouse and he likes my lapua. my 338 lapua is built to shoot a long ways maybe 2000 yards or longer ? price with scope ? under $4500.00 ,I am a FFL dealer too so that saved me plenty money too.under a 1000 yards with this gun is not a hard shot if you know how to shoot wind,temp and currents.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's a name you need to know:

JON BEANLAND

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Those boutique rifles are nice for guys who really just want someone to do all the work for them and go kill stuff. I don't think they are really any more accurate than most custom guns. I put a rifle together for my buddy on a Pierce action/ Broughton barrel with a Micky A5 stock -it was basically a Red Rock precision without the mark up. It is a 7 RUM. It shoots 4" 3 shot groups at 1000 yards. It is heavy though. He bought 2 Fierce rifles thinking they were going to be the greatest thing ever. They even came with a supposed test target. Both rifles are 300 WSM. Neither will break an inch. Pretty much wasted his money.

I couldn't stand to hunt with a chassis rifle myself as you carry a rifle a LOT more than you shoot it. I won't tell you what to buy but will suggest that your money is better spent than on the $5000 boutique rifles you mentioned. I build my own so I can save a little by doing that. My next one will probably have a heavy proof research barrel and a carbon fiber shell stock to get the weight down to the 6 pound range and still be a heavy duty tack driver. So far I have been leery of cutting into a $900 barrel blank so haven't done it!
'

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How far and how often do you shoot? If 500 is a long way, then you don't have to go any further than Walmart.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How far and how often do you shoot? If 500 is a long way, then you don't have to go any further than Walmart.

I built (3) rifles for myself in Sept - Oct 2017:
Sav 12 250 Sav
Rem700 6.5-06
Rem700 7mmRemMag

The each weighed ~ 10 pounds with bipod, scope, sling, ammo, ect.
They each cost $3k ~ $4k in parts with scopes. I have a lathe and mill.

The 7mm required less skill in compensating for range and wind, so I shot all (4) deer with the 7mm.

The longest shot was 625 yards. I could have done that with an off the shelf 7mmRM from Walmart.

I keep wanting a better rifle, but the rifles are good enough... I need to get better.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cark, cool building your own rifles.. The 7 would be my pick, but never had a 6.5-06.. Use my .25-06 quite a bit and the .270.. Both are great rounds so I am sure the 6.5 is also.. Enjoy!!

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 16 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.