Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12169776 07/26/17
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
If you guys were going to get one of the advertised "Long Range" rifles like Fierce, MOA, or Gunwerks rifles- do any stand out as better than the rest? I am probably going to build a rifle from a 700, too- but would like to try one of these, someday. Was just wondering if I should be looking at one more closely than the others...thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Budget?

DF

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
That's definitely negotiable- I would prefer to stick with the models that are around 4K without optics, but have spent more on guns before...and hopefully will again in the future!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'll toss my 2 cents your way, just incase this is something you'd like to consider.

I was VERY close to doing to same thing you are talking about - spending 4K on a turnkey custom built rifle with long range capabilities. Very close as in I had a build sheet completely done, and the downpayment check was written. It just needed to be put in an envelope and mailed. The weekend came, and the check was to be mailed on Monday.

Over that weekend, I ran into a buddy that had recently acquired a Ruger Precision rifle. I got a chance to see the thing in action, shot it myself, and was blown away by the quality and accuracy from a factory gun with factory ammo (6.5 Creed).

I decided to keep the check, but look for an RPR to make the decision myself. After a week of looking, I found one lightly used with 80 rounds of match ammo to go with it. I pulled a Bushnell LRHS off a Tikka, bought some rings from Seekins, and mounted the LRHS to the Ruger.

It took less than 20 rounds for me to realize that I could tear up that $4K check because this gun would likely outshoot anything I could buy, and it would do it for $3K less, with off the shelf ammo.

The RPR may not be for everyone, but if you're looking at a dedicated LR rifle, I'd start there. Because it may save you $3K and be a whole lot of fun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are lots of custom guys and semi custom guys, I've had good luck with surgeon and Jon Beanland. That being said a Remington sendero with a barrel chop to whatever you want will probably do all you'll ever need it to. I've got a Kimber patrol that could lose a few ounces with a better stock but will outshoot me all day long.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There are lots of Youtube videos of guys with Ruger rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor. Most of them have the Predator model, and the Precision Rifle version should be even better. I'm tempted myself.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One from MPA prolly don't suck.

http://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-lite-pcr-competition-rifle/

Or a Tikka CTR with MDT ESS chassis

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've got one on an MPA BA Lite chassis that I put together myself in my garage. Shilen DGR action, Criterion barrel. Best shooting rig I've ever had. Below is six shots from two different loads.

John

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hondo64d; 07/28/17.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a Remimgton 700 CDL .270 I had,sent the barreled action to Pac-Nor to turn it into a 30-06.They put on a 28" Stainless Steel Super Match Grade barrel,lapped and trued the action for $625.00.The shipping from me to them and back to me totaled $67.00,so my whole total was $692.00.About the cost of another rifle,but the difference is this one will shoot,another new one may or may not shoot.The rifle is capable of shooting better than me.I really didn't do any work finding a load it shot well.I seated my bullet .025 off the lands and a max book load of Accurate 4350 and I'm done.Shoots as good with Ramshot Hunter too.I'm sold.Instead of buying more rifles,believe me I was tempted with the $150 rebate Remington has going on through 7-30-17,I have decided to go this route again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure if there's a photo next to "bad-@ss" at dictionary.com, this would be the accompanying pict.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I got a chance to try out a chassis stock from KRG last weekend with a Timney Calvin Elite trigger and really liked the set up. Masterpiece arms are supposed to make an awesome chassis. I'm sentimental to a more traditional stock but the chassis I tried had great ergonomics and the new Timney was fantastic.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure if there's a photo next to "bad-@ss" at dictionary.com, this would be the accompanying pict.

That rifle bares a striking resemblance to a 6.5 Creed and a 223AI that I have in sitting in chassis'.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a nice Beanland in the classifieds now...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wouldn't a Proof barrel on a Remington or similar action with a quality trigger dropped in McMillan or Manners be as solid as one of the Gunwerks or Fierce rifles, for less money and built exactly the way you want? I've had these same thoughts as the OP, but keep coming back to this core question...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
TIKKA has a factory option for a gun with a chassis system. Their TSR-1, which is a T3 in a MCrees chassis of a newer design.

Or grab a factory T3 CTR and put it in your chassis of choice, like an XLR Industries, which I personally like better than any MCrees I have tried, though I have not tried the newest/latest MCrees, but the XLR is a very nice rig.

I would go that route LONG before I went the custom gunsmith route.

Then top with optic of choice, and rock on.

This is my XLR and it is a very comfortable rig:

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What cartridge class are you looking for?

I have a full custom 338LM that I will be putting up for sale in the coming days.

RBros Rifles - Manners EH-1 stock, Defiance action, Broughton barrel, Jewell trigger, Seekins rings, BM and CIP mag, NF 5.5-22x50 HS ZS MOAR, Redding Comp dies , test target, etc.

Unfired other than the test target from the builder. PM me if that it the type of rifle you are looking for...

Semper Fi

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
NULA is in your budget. They shoot very well, and you can choose the barrel length and contour as well as cartridge to do what you want.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
TIKKA has a factory option for a gun with a chassis system. Their TSR-1, which is a T3 in a MCrees chassis of a newer design.

Or grab a factory T3 CTR and put it in your chassis of choice, like an XLR Industries, which I personally like better than any MCrees I have tried, though I have not tried the newest/latest MCrees, but the XLR is a very nice rig.

I would go that route LONG before I went the custom gunsmith route.

Then top with optic of choice, and rock on.

This is my XLR and it is a very comfortable rig:

[Linked Image]

I like your style.

CTR in an XLR chassis and buttstock as well:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AICS mags? Or PMags?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And why hasn't anyone made a cheap Chassis for the RAR that uses PMags and doesn't cost as much as the RPR?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.