Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Picking up my first AR tomorrow. Got 500 new LC cases coming too.

Seems to be some difference of opinion on how necessary it is to crimp ammunition.

What say ye?

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Never have and see no reason to start now.

I have no idea how many handloaded rounds I've put through AR's.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With sufficient neck tension, I've had no issues with uncrimped rounds.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have far too much brass to keep it all separated closely by lot except for some small lots used in my more precision guns, therefore, there is always more variance in the neck springback / tension for all the rounds to have the same neck tension when the bullets are seated.

So, yes, I use a Lee Collet crimp die & very, very lightly squeeze the neck to, hopefully, a level that tends to somewhat uniform the grip on the bullet.

Hard & heavy crimps can cause other issues if overdone.

Ejecting a few unfired rounds occasionally & examining them for bullet setback from hitting the feedramps as the round is chambered might give a clue as to whether a crimp is needed or not.

MM

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What Montana said. I put a very light taper crimp just to uniform neck tension and prevent any setback. Only takes a quick second to do and I don't have to worry about a loose one moving on me.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I read many articles and reviews before putting the Lee collet crimp behind the bullet seater on my press. The way the LCC works doesn't deform case necks unless you try very hard to. It may not be necessary but never found a test where it hurt either. It's one extra pull per cartridge is all.

It did nothing to hold in the Winchester 64 gr. PP's that I bought though. I kinda wanted those to work too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I set all of my seating dies for a slight crimp, the AR is no different. This has been known to also help improve run-out and minimize TIR as well. Kind of like killing 2 or 3 birds with one stone, so to speak...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never crimp rifle rounds, except for lever actions. I have the Lee FC die, so I guess I'll test my loads for good neck tension and crimp if needed.

One of the bullets I'm gonna try is one of the Barnes frangibles. I'm thinking too much crimp might not be a good thing with those.

Thanks, all.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
not

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someday I'll work up the motivation to test a couple different loads crimped and uncrimped.....

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
Someday I'll work up the motivation to test a couple different loads crimped and uncrimped.....

I have and there did not appear to be a difference in groups.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BarryC

I have with carefully prepared brass, same headstamp, same number of firings, trimmed and freshly annealed.
The uncrimped was more accurate, but not by a lot.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr

I have with carefully prepared brass, same headstamp, same number of firings, trimmed and freshly annealed.
The uncrimped was more accurate, but not by a lot.

Ya gotta run the test at least 10 times, with 10 rounds/per, in order to be meaningful as one test don't mean jack schitt.................just sayin' wink

Seriously, I think it matters a lot as to how hard they are (over) crimped.............but if you are going to crimp, it does have to be enough to get uniformity.

MM

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My main interest in this is whoopsie avoidance. Not expecting accuracy miracles from a 16" carbine, just good function.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

have one AR rifle........Aero Precision 300 BLK.........

yes I crimp..........what does it hurt ?

Lee FCD..........nuf said......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 5th station of both of my progressives sport a Lee crimp die.

Why not crimp if its a free motion as it is in a progressive

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'll bet I've shot 75+ K rounds in competition that I loaded, out of a match AR in 223 and never crimped the first one. Never had my gun have a FTF or failure to fire due to a round that tied the gun up due to bullet creep... Waste of time in my opinion...

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
There is a whole lot of ink on the affects on accuracy using the Lee FCD. Hard to find much negative.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Glynn
There is a whole lot of ink on the affects on accuracy using the Lee FCD. Hard to find much negative.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

IF, there's any pushing the bullet deeper into the case as the round is pushed into the chamber, there will be more negative effect on accuracy than the potential loss of accuracy due to using a light crimp.

And unless you eject enough live rounds that have been chambered from the mag to know, then you really just don't know.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tedthorn
The 5th station of both of my progressives sport a Lee crimp die.

Why not crimp if its a free motion as it is in a progressive

+1 for the Lee crimp die. Run it on all ammo I build up that will be cycled in my ARs.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 3,177 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,527
Posts18,452,853
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.