Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I am the new, and puzzled, owner of a Rem 721 in 300 H&H, rebored to 300 Weatherby Mag. ( Don't know why)
Any chance someone has an original 721 barrel in 300 H&H they would part with?

Thanks,
Larry

GB1

NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't help you on the barrel but if you need another gun just like it let me know!
I have the same deal it's stamped 300h&h but PO said it is now a wby.
Why some people can't leave a good gun alone.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup... I have an original H&H... well, had... a certain poster here talked me out of it and started to restock it and it has been here for years waiting for him to return and finish it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by NTO
I can't help you on the barrel but if you need another gun just like it let me know!
I have the same deal it's stamped 300h&h but PO said it is now a wby.
Why some people can't leave a good gun alone.

I guess you could say the same thing about Weatherby himself. We had the 300 H&H, so why make the 300 Weatherby? But when you do you always will have those who absolutely need the latest and greatest thing and will go buy it. Then you also will have the guys who can't afford one so they re-chamber their humble 721s.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Old Roy saw a lot of those types coming.... Like PT Barnam did.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Be aware at least some of those 721s had blued stainless barrels. Marked SS on the stamping.

I was not, until I turned the rear sight hump off a customer's barrel per request. Stainless bluing was not something I could do, so it cost me about what I charged to turn the hump. Maybe more - it's been 30 years, but some things even us old guys don't forget!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Weatherby would rechamber your 721 back in the day. I have seen several done by them. The caliber stamping is unique to their shop.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Be aware at least some of those 721s had blued stainless barrels. Marked SS on the stamping.

I was not, until I turned the rear sight hump off a customer's barrel per request. Stainless bluing was not something I could do, so it cost me about what I charged to turn the hump. Maybe more - it's been 30 years, but some things even us old guys don't forget!

Uhhhh... the Remington blued SS barrels did not start with the 721 line... there were 700s from early production that may have had the donut... AND been blued SS. The 721 ended in 62, the same year the 700 started and also the beginning of blued SS barrels. Early 700s also had the donut sight boss. Yours would be the first 721 with a blued SS barrel I have heard of and I have had a strong interest in these rifle for a very long time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Maybe he was talking about a pre 64 model 70, I know that some of their 300 H&H had a stainless barrel original from the factory. You can look it up in Rules book, and I also happen to own one.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
In "The Remington 700", page 74, John Lacy wrote about barrel steel on the 721:

"The 264 WIN MAG was equipped with a twenty-four inch (23.5" nominal length) stainless steel barre. These barrels were not marked as stainless steel. This alloy would be undocumented except for a new in the box specimen (S # 445501, assembled in July, 1961) that is labeled on the box as having a stainless barrel). there is little reason to question its authenticity as the first year (1962) 700 magnums also had stainless barrels that were unmarked with regards to alloy."

No mention of stainless in the 300 H&H in the 721.

I have a 700 ADL that was one of the first 200 made (SN 11XX). It does not have the sight boss and has the same open sights as all other early 700's.

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/07/17.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by las

Uhhhh... the Remington blued SS barrels did not start with the 721 line... there were 700s from early production that may have had the donut... AND been blued SS. The 721 ended in 62, the same year the 700 started and also the beginning of blued SS barrels. Early 700s also had the donut sight boss. Yours would be the first 721 with a blued SS barrel I have heard of and I have had a strong interest in these rifle for a very long time.

OK - I can't argue Model # as that was more than 30 years ago, and my book has long since been sent back to BATF. I've carried it in my mind as a 721, tho. Thanks for the correction. (There might be one or two other bits in the alleged mind that aren't entirely accurate as well.... smile. )

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by las

OK - I can't argue Model # as that was more than 30 years ago, and my book has long since been sent back to BATF. I've carried it in my mind as a 721, tho. Thanks for the correction. (There might be one or two other bits in the alleged mind that aren't entirely accurate as well.... smile. )

You might be right because I have a number of examples of obviously misstamped Remingtons... calibers not being offered at the times the production date stamps indicated... date stamps that do not match model years, and so on.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
On thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure the receiver was a 721, as this was the first of only about 3 that I have ever handled or worked on, so that really stuck in my mind.. along with the bluing faux pas. It made enough impression that I even remembered the customer's name- last name immediately, a few hours later his first. With my memory for names, that is beyond remarkable! smile

The stock was Remington standard, so I really never considered that it wasn't factory. Obviously, I haven't researched it like you have, Art. (By the way, you are over your limit for PM's apparently. smile. )

This was in the late 80s or early 90's, so I see at least 3 possibilities. Re-barrel, custom put together of owned receiver after the 721 parts were no longer available, or Remington maybe had more 721 receivers than they did barrels, or one was just fitted with the "wrong" barrel during the change-over period oby accident or design, and not documented or the documents disappeared.

In which case we likely screwed the pooch for collector value, tho this was a working gun and showed a fair amount of use.

Interesting. Still, I learned something. I often do by sticking my foot in mouth. smile

Last edited by las; 08/10/17.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
On thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure the receiver was a 721, as this was the first of only about 3 that I have ever handled or worked on, so that really stuck in my mind.. along with the bluing faux pas. It made enough impression that I even remembered the customer's name- last name immediately, a few hours later his first. With my memory for names, that is beyond remarkable! smile

The stock was Remington standard, so I really never considered that it wasn't factory. Obviously, I haven't researched it like you have, Art. (By the way, you are over your limit for PM's apparently. smile. )

This was in the late 80s or early 90's, so I see at least 3 possibilities. Re-barrel, custom put together of owned receiver after the 721 parts were no longer available, or Remington maybe had more 721 receivers than they did barrels, or one was just fitted with the "wrong" barrel during the change-over period oby accident or design, and not documented or the documents disappeared.

In which case we likely screwed the pooch for collector value, tho this was a working gun and showed a fair amount of use.

Interesting. Still, I learned something. I often do by sticking my foot in mouth. smile

No collector value in 721s... 725 maybe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought like Sitka Deer. Never knew of any stainless, blued 721's.

The early 700 magnums had an iron coating that was blued. Wear that coating off and traditional bluing isn't, at least in my mind, possible.

Unless you have to have the Remington stampings, why not buy a barrel from ER Shaw?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No collector value? How about the Navy trophy rifles? THOSE would be cool.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las

I don't think that Remington ever cataloged the Model 700 with barrels that featured the rear sight barrel boss.

If there was caliber overlap between models, I believe that Remington stopped making barrels with the rear sight barrel boss when the 725 was introduced in 1958.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
No collector value? How about the Navy trophy rifles? THOSE would be cool.

Weren't the Navy trophy rifles Remington 720s?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes,720.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 722 in 257 Roberts has the sight boss.

[Linked Image]

Mine has collector value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.