-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's in the classifieds along with Roger Rules "The Riflemans Rifle". I had listed them as a package for $1250 but that may be high

How would you guys price em? I literally don't have room in the safe and want to sell this rifle and a few others that I'll list when this one sells.

Any input is appreciated....

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Winchester M/70 market is kind of soft now, Featherweight rifles that have sold have been priced around $1K or a little less. Buyers perhaps may not be interested in the bundle with the book, I would price each item separately and not in the same ad and see what happens.
While I am not suggesting you price your rifle this low, I purchased a Featherweight .30-06 off the internet about a month ago for $730.00 shipped. Perhaps as hunting season gets closer there will be more interest, right now vacation and summer pursuits are what's on most folk's minds.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
huntsonora,

FYI, I believe there are three editions of "The Rifleman's Rifle". The first edition is hardback, published by Alliance Books, Inc., Northridge, California, 1982. The second edition is also hardback, I believe by the same publisher, but the year is 1996. The third edition is paperback, published by Authorhouse, 2009. The third is still available for less than $100, but the first two are "collectible", and bring much more money. In general, the earlier the edition the higher the price, but I don't know the current market difference between the first two editions. I have found that the earlier the edition, the better the photographs, with the third edition photos being much less clear than the photos in the first two.

Note, the above is not considering some fancy bound and autographed special first editions.

From your picture of the book, I believe you have a first edition, but I wouldn't swear to it. It is of course easy to determine by looking at the title page.

Hope this information is useful to you.

Regards,
Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/29/17.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys!

The book is a first edition hardback from alliance in 1982. Really good condition

Any idea what I should price it at?

Would I be in the ballpark at $250 shipped for the book and $800 shipped for the rifle? I just need to know where to be for fair market value

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm not sure of the value of the book, I sold my first edition several years ago. Pricing the rifle at $800.00 shipped should generate some interest. Good luck with your sale.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Thanks guys!

The book is a first edition hardback from alliance in 1982. Really good condition

Any idea what I should price it at?

Would I be in the ballpark at $250 shipped for the book and $800 shipped for the rifle? I just need to know where to be for fair market value

Way too low Drummond. The book is worth more and so is the rifle. Don't let these guys convince you your 270 is worth the same as a similar condition 30-06. The 270 fwt will bring a lot more than a 30-06 because they just did not make as many, thus making it worth more money!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will agree the market is soft right now, but not that soft....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With both books and rifles, condition has a lot to do with what your pay. And with both, reasonable cosmetic wear hurts the function not at all. I just looked and found a first edition book on the 'net in "good" condition for $245. There are asking prices for first editions that are much higher. If the book is in really good condition, I think $250 is at the low end. If I didn't already have a first edition, I would be all over it for that price. But I need another copy of the book about like I need another .270, so I will leave the good deals for someone else, hopefully someone deserving, to enjoy. No use being greedy.

My recommendation to anyone looking for the book is to get a first edition for when you really need to see detail, and a third edition to "paw" over. As hunting rifles go, a Pre '64 Fwt. .270 is tough to beat.

If someone out there wanted to get into Pre '64 M70 rifles and "jump right in", this is a fine spot to do it, both the rifle and the book.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you guys so much for all of the input!!! I really appreciate it!

It looks like the rifle is SPF and it's going to a guy that's going to use it in country that sure means a lot to me so I'm thrilled about that!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a first edition Rule in 99% condition that I turned down $600 for a couple of years ago...It was worth more to me to keep it. Agree with BSA on price differences between 270 and 30/06..

Last edited by Godogs57; 08/01/17.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 42 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,352
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.