Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm considering a Winchester 92 in .44 or .45. For pinecones and possums and such.

I don't want to put a scope on it or a red dot but I've got old eyes and would consider aftermarket iron-sight alternatives for the buckhorn rear sight. Maybe a tang sight. If I can score a raccoon with it at 50 yards that'll be good enough for requirements.

What's been working well for older members in such matters? (No scopes red dots or holographic time warp devices.)

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I was of the exact same frame of mind as you when mine arrived. I finally realized you can use the buckhorn rear sight just like an aperture.

I replaced the front sight with the biggest white bead sight I could find. I pretty much just shoot with the big white bead right in the center of the buckhorn.

It works very well and is very fast. Give it a go and don't over think it when you use it.

The far left example is how I use it, and basically disregard the notch in the rear sight.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great idea Steelhead...why didn't I think of that? wink Gonna have to try it now!

Ken
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Stevesgunz.com Take a look at this. They sell a peep eight that attaches to the bolt and it also replaces that silly safety they now have on the M-92s.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well thanks Steelhead. I never thought to think of a buckhorn that way. I'll try that before I think about replacing it.

IMR: about that stevesgunz sight. It appears to replace the bolt safety of a Rossi 92 if I understand correctly. I'm looking at the Winchester and will probably order this week. They have tang safeties according to the website.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've got a model 92 in 45 colt. Sourdough front sight, Ashley rear, mounted to the bolt. Nowadays I'd use a Skinner rear sight. Heck of a porcupine gun........

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Great idea Steelhead...why didn't I think of that? wink Gonna have to try it now!

Don't feel bad, it took me 50 years to finally figure it out.

I really does work well. Is it 'precision' aiming, nope, but I hit what I point it at.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
Well thanks Steelhead. I never thought to think of a buckhorn that way. I'll try that before I think about replacing it.

IMR: about that stevesgunz sight. It appears to replace the bolt safety of a Rossi 92 if I understand correctly. I'm looking at the Winchester and will probably order this week. They have tang safeties according to the website.

In my opinion, you will want to replace the front bead. The one that comes with it is too small/fine. Once I put the big bead up front, it all came together.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You could also do a fiber sight up front, if you're wired that way....grin

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Big white bead - check.

Fiber sight - gayer than a .270 X-bolt. Grin back.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Post up how it works out for you and if you go another route, I'd be curious as to what that is also.

Did you decide on 44 or 45?

I have a 44 and it feeds cast SWC's perfectly.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm leaning .44 because I'm well set up for that with abundant components including a bunch of 240 grain SWC for a brace of N-frames.

Also Winchester lists the .44 short rifle as current production and I'm hopeful my LGS can locate one at a price I can bear without too much drama. I will talk to them tomorrow.

That's good to know about your rifle feeding SWCs. That's in magnum brass?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yes, magnum brass. I've been meaning to stuff some 44 specials in there, but just haven't done it yet.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Updated:

Took 3 months for my LGS to find one but a couple of days ago I picked up a brand new Miroku '92 that says Winchester on it. Guess we were waiting for a container from Japan.

It's a terrific little rifle. Couldn't be more pleased. Took it to the range today and set the ladder under the buckhorn on the 50 yard notch and it proceeded to put my inexpensive plinking loads into a couple of surprisingly tight 3-round groups at 50. To point of aim no less.

That's enough of the bench I thought. Over at the steel range on my hind legs it rang the 65 and 100 yard gongs all the doo-dah day. 65 was near enough to dead on. A little experimenting with the buckeye portion of the sight and 100 was easy enough. Swallows 240 grain LSWC like a hungry baby bird.

That little brass bead is going to have to go however. It will be replaced with a bigger white one. I believe I can make the buckhorn work. Thanks for that good advice.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Glad it worked out for you and you found one. They really are a shooting, little bastard. Changing to a big dot up front really helped.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 64 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.