-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have now cast about two thousand bullets using the new furnace and am completely satisfied so far. It is easy to adjust the alloy flow out of the bottom pour spout. Also easy to adjust the mold guide both for centering under the spout and for getting the distance from the spout set. The only drip problem I have had ( and this really is no problem) is when heating the furnace when alloy is left in it from the previous session. Once I start casting, the drip stops. The furnace heats quickly when filled with ingots and the electronic controls keep the temperature consistent. I am happy with my decision to buy.

[Linked Image]

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I bought one about 6 months ago, and am pleased with it as well.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My 50 year old Lyman pot is still going strong, but I know I may outlive it (or not, I'm 64 years old). My question is do y'all find the temp gauge/controls to be accurate? Ie: have you checked them against a thermometer, up and down the scale?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
My 50 year old Lyman pot is still going strong, but I know I may outlive it (or not, I'm 64 years old). My question is do y'all find the temp gauge/controls to be accurate? Ie: have you checked them against a thermometer, up and down the scale?

I have not cross checked my furnace for temperature accuracy. The first pot full I juggled with the heat setting until I was satisfied with the bullets I was casting (720 degrees) and have left it there since. The melt reading on the furnace stays within +/- 5 degrees of the temperature setting and the bullets continue to be to my satisfaction. I'm only on my fourth full pot cycle, however. If anything changes, I'll report back.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Don,
At your suggestion on a separate thread, I ordered some of Rotometal's Super Hard alloy to add to my pure lead along with some tin which I already had. Worked out great with a BHN of 15. Great looking bullets. I haven't shot any yet though. I'll correct that soon. Thanks for your input.

Doug
IC B2

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Doug,

Glad to hear it worked out for you. In the future, you may want to look for some linotype being sold by individuals online. It can be typically bought for $1.50 a pound and is a hard alloy consisting of 84% lead, 12% antimony, and 4% tin. Little bit goes a long ways when mixed with pure lead.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Still rolling along with the Mag25 with zero problems. I have now run about 200 lbs of alloy thru the pot.

Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.