Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Starman
Wow, how is it things have stayed rather civil, on topic and not on the 5th page already?

I'll admit to being surprised myself; at least about the civil part.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Wow, how is it things have stayed rather civil, on topic and not on the 5th page already?

Me too. Also surprised about the 80 TTSXs...I would have banked on that one...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe

They have left me in awe...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I'm still banking on the 100 gr TTSX at 3550, it's a damn meanie!

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know of folks with 80s out of 25-06 rounds that have killed big bears and big moose and with zero complaints.... but thats not exactly the same. But should be dang close.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Justahunter
Barnes bullets are a funny subject. People that shoot them and don't like them really don't like them. People that shoot them and like them really really like them and are very sensitive about any negative that surrounds them. Almost like talking bad about their mothers.

I'm in the group that shot them on one Africa trip and was wondering why they were for sale to begin with..

Thanks for taking the time for the write up.

Todd
Thats pretty simple because if they are not the best single bullet design out there, they are damn close to perfection.

But you know where I stand.

For folks that demand DRT, big holes, huge blood trails if they do run a bit etc... cup and core is your baby. For me running never has mattered one bit. The fact I can take any shot angle at any reasonable distance and almost be assured of 2 holes says all I've ever wanted.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Cannot say any one aiming point... brown bear was twice through the heart broadside, once from each side. Bear made about 150 yards, dead bear running. At that point it twirled in place, absolutely painting a huge circle, then died and rolled another hundred yards.

A bear running 150 yards from a lung shot doesn't sound too good, sounds not too much different than what Model70Guy had happen. Barnes makes a good product but they aren't perfect all the time either.

Had some excellent results with the 358 200 gr TTSX this spring by the way but there seem to be way fewer problems reported with the bigger TTSX bullets.

I'm a big Accubond fan and have only recovered 2 so far but in general they expand really wide so it's not surprising they get caught in the hide on occasion. The bigger 358 and 375's I recovered really expanded wide and dropped game quick, so far all the 6.5's and 308's all have exited.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

For folks that demand DRT, big holes, huge blood trails if they do run a bit etc... cup and core is your baby. For me running never has mattered one bit. The fact I can take any shot angle at any reasonable distance and almost be assured of 2 holes says all I've ever wanted.

Around here if animals run excessive distances the chances on recovering them is not good, the brush is just too thick. I don't mind animals that run a ways but 100-200 yards and there can be big trouble. In the case of mountain goat DRT is preferred but in their case I try to take out some heavy bone anyway to make sure they don't run into the cliffs where they can't be recovered.

Gerry.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gerry35

Cannot say any one aiming point... brown bear was twice through the heart broadside, once from each side. Bear made about 150 yards, dead bear running. At that point it twirled in place, absolutely painting a huge circle, then died and rolled another hundred yards.

A bear running 150 yards from a lung shot doesn't sound too good, sounds not too much different than what Model70Guy had happen. Barnes makes a good product but they aren't perfect all the time either.

Had some excellent results with the 358 200 gr TTSX this spring by the way but there seem to be way fewer problems reported with the bigger TTSX bullets.

I'm a big Accubond fan and have only recovered 2 so far but in general they expand really wide so it's not surprising they get caught in the hide on occasion. The bigger 358 and 375's I recovered really expanded wide and dropped game quick, so far all the 6.5's and 308's all have exited.

Bear was just shy of 8' and shot twice right through the middle of the heart... I have shot a lot of bears in the same place and had them go farther... using a lot bigger bullets.

I still cannot understand how everyone else gets pass-throughs with Accubonds and I have never seen one, even with bullets that should have made an exit.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by rost495

Around here if animals run excessive distances the chances on recovering them is not good, the brush is just too thick. I don't mind animals that run a ways but 100-200 yards and there can be big trouble. In the case of mountain goat DRT is preferred but in their case I try to take out some heavy bone anyway to make sure they don't run into the cliffs where they can't be recovered.

I agree and a TTSX high in the shoulder will drop them as fast or faster than anything else I have seen.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A high shoulder will drop game in a heap, but the TTSX is far from the only bullet that will do that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Barnes bullets are a funny subject. People that shoot them and don't like them really don't like them. People that shoot them and like them really really like them and are very sensitive about any negative that surrounds them. Almost like talking bad about their mothers.

I'm in the group that shot them on one Africa trip and was wondering why they were for sale to begin with..

Todd

In my experience folks that hate Barnes haven't used them much...kinda like the guys that'll tell you a .223 is inadequate for deer, and have never used one on a deer....

FWIW Ive formed more than a few staunch opinions myself, based on a "sample of one"... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had nothing but good results from the TSX and the TTSX, but I've not launched them faster than 3,350fps or slower than 2,950fps. In that velocity window, they don't seem to lose petals too much and have worked really well. Only caught one and it looked like something from a Barnes advertisement, after hanging in the hide on a diagonal shot on a big pig. I do like the tendency to leave a bleeding exit hole. And it's only a guess, but I bet that 80gr .257 TTSX would be more reliable when shot in that velocity window as well.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A high shoulder will drop game in a heap, but the TTSX is far from the only bullet that will do that.

IME&O the various X iterations are far more reliable at producing an exit and do far, far less meat damage.I will not use a C&C bullet on the shoulder of a meat animal...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think when you shoot the TTSX, you don't aim for lung tissue, aim for bone, break down the structure. I've had very good luck with 100 TTSX in the .257

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At 257 Weatherby velocities, a lug nut in any location would be a killing projectile. Don't worry about it.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

IME&O the various X iterations are far more reliable at producing an exit and do far, far less meat damage.I will not use a C&C bullet on the shoulder of a meat animal...

Personally, I don't care about meat damage. However, animals are in general sort of way made out of meat and meat-like substances. Since animals are killed by damage to the most immediately necessary bits, it stands to reason that that whatever does the most damage kills the fastest.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Personally, I don't care about meat damage. However, animals are in general sort of way made out of meat and meat-like substances. Since animals are killed by damage to the most immediately necessary bits, it stands to reason that that whatever does the most damage kills the fastest.

Sadly, it does not stand up to reason unless reason includes far more anatomical comprehension than most will ever get.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The 'you-can't-know-if-you-haven't-tried-it' argument gets so stale and crusty.

I don't text and drive. Never tried it even. Common sense would indicate taking any attention away from driving will cause problems resulting in accidents. Did we really need statistics to prove it? Do we have to try it to prove it?

Todd

In my experience folks that hate Barnes haven't used them much...kinda like the guys that'll tell you a .223 is inadequate for deer, and have never used one on a deer....

FWIW Ive formed more than a few staunch opinions myself, based on a "sample of one"... wink

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.