Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I was asked to post some results of a recent deer cull hunt we did in Southern Australia, so here goes. There were 2 shooters, 3 calibers and 7 bullets used, and 500 animals taken, mostly fallow does and red hinds.we were expected to differenciate between male and female hornless yearlings too. Bear in mind that a hunt conducted to help control population may be lacking in some of the comforting niceities, and there is next to nothing pretty about it. On the other hand, its a lot of shooting. we averaged about 35 a day apiece.

So anyways here's the Readers Digest condensed version.

I was using a completely stock but very accurate Weatherby Lazerguard in .257 Weatherby as a main gun. The base load that I brought with me was the 115 grain NBT loaded with IMR 7828. The air-line limit of 5 Kilograms allowed 170 rounds. Three other loads were assembled in camp on a hand press, namely the 110 Accubond, 100 grain Swift Scirroco and finally the 80 TTSX all using ADI powders which as many of you know produces the Hodgdons powders we use over here. Ranges varied from zero to 700 yards, with most somewhere around the middle.

The 115 grain NBT is a bit sturdier than people give it credit for. It was a fast killer of the little fallows which are about pronghorn sized, and entirely adequite for the red hinds which ranges from the size of small whitetail for yearlings on the low end to some that would pass for a really nice cow elk. Exits were routine and DRTs likewise routine. I believe that the 100 grain would have been the perfect match for the fallows.They are pretty small.

Next in line is the 110 Accubond. It was surprisingly close to the NBT in performance, perhaps a little slower on rib hits on the little fallows and good on the reds. Exits could be expected. Shoulders were better than ribs. This H1000 load ( A2217) didn't survive the American to Australian translation well, and I was reluctant to shoot it much past 500. It also started showing pressure signs even when I backed it off a couple. These things happen.

The Swift proved to be a pretty tough bullet. If you just got lungs on the fallows you could count on a run even if it wasn't a long one, shoulders were much better. The bullet came into its own on the reds. Getting twofers on purpose with it became a bit of a game when my driver/guide/spotter/identifier/friend asked for them. Picking the right animal out of the herd and not killing the one behind it or in front can be frustrating, but sometimes two you want will line up. He was also prone to asking for random head shots, sometimes for no particular reason. What can I say, he's an Aussie. They do that.

The wheels fell off with the TTSXs. I was at least hopeful that the 3950 fps velocity would compensate for the copper bullets but that didn't prove to be the case.If you ever have a pressing need for something to die somewhere else this is your bullet. Practically everything that wasn't spined or brained ran, and many that fell to the shot got up an ran. you can't hear them hit, and most animals didn't even look hit. When we weren't looking for cripples we were getting the dogs to look for them. finding blood was a fantasy. We went out lamping one night (just once) with a another guide and a neighbouring property owner who is in the deer business as well as we could have some witnesses. Comments there were pretty damning. My favorite was "they shouldn't be allowed to sell those foooooking things".

So there you have it. I was predicting that the results would come in in a fastest killing order as presented. Softest to hardest, which also translated to least penetrating to most penetrating. It hasn't completely escaped my notice that the order is also heaviest to lightest, and slowest to fastest but they aren't that far apart except for the 80 grain outlier.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Amazing to me how radically different bullets perform for different people. My son has shot quite a bit with the 80gr TTSX in a 25-06. Even a brown bear. Total penetration and mostly DRT.

I have only watched about 30-35 Accubonds used and have yet to see a pass-through, even on smallish stuff. Watched a Kodiak bear take four 270gr Accubonds in the ribs from a 375H&H... all were caught.

A lot more questions than answers...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Interesting stuff. Sounds like quite the testing ground.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome write up. The Accubond, NBT and Swift are three of my favorites in my 25-06. Sounds like all three are worked pretty well. Thanks again for taking the time to write it up.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice write up with actual results. Good info to have, thanks.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I can't imagine shooting 500 animals. Something so fun could turn into a job with numbers that high.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Amazing to me how radically different bullets perform for different people. My son has shot quite a bit with the 80gr TTSX in a 25-06. Even a brown bear. Total penetration and mostly DRT.

I have only watched about 30-35 Accubonds used and have yet to see a pass-through, even on smallish stuff. Watched a Kodiak bear take four 270gr Accubonds in the ribs from a 375H&H... all were caught.

Speaking of questions, when did they start making a 270 grain Accubond?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

I'm guessing he meant the 260 gr .375" Accubond which has worked out nicely for me.

Thanks for the detailed write-up on the culling efforts! That had to be interesting, to say the least. The 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip has become my favorite .25-06 bullet. Mostly I use it for mule deer & pronghorn antelope, with the odd coyote thrown in now and again. Accurate and very lethal.

I'm a bit envious of all the shooting experience you got on that trip!

Regards, Guy

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by blairvt
I can't imagine shooting 500 animals. Something so fun could turn into a job with numbers that high.

I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, that's for sure. wink First off, cut it in half because my partner shot the other half. Still, its a lot of shooting, killing and recoil because its day after day relentlessly. I did a 14 day one once, ending up with 390 animals of which 112 were water buffalo. Since the 2nd week was all .458 Win Mag there were times when I would wonder if I was having fun or not.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Model70Guy,

That is some interesting info. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Size/attitude of the animals being shot? Hasn't your son been primarily shooting things like moose, caribou, and bears in the shoulders?

I will say that the culling report has a very similar nuance to what would be expected from the NZ website that reports all of his bullet experiences/expectations.

Basically, a soft-fronted tough-butted heavy-for-caliber C+C bullet started at 3000 or more kills ungulates very well. Everything else becomes a compromise from that ideal.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd be curious to hear your load with the 80 ttsx? You chronographed these loads?

I've shot and seen shot a decent pile of whitetail does and pronghorn antelope with 80 grain TTSXs from a 257 Roberts AI, and even more with the 80 grain TSX from the 270 at 3800-3900 fps. The results were essentially the opposite of what you described. Animals were very dead, very quickly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

My error... they were actually 300gr Accubonds in a vanilla H&H.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Size/attitude of the animals being shot? Hasn't your son been primarily shooting things like moose, caribou, and bears in the shoulders?

I will say that the culling report has a very similar nuance to what would be expected from the NZ website that reports all of his bullet experiences/expectations.

Basically, a soft-fronted tough-butted heavy-for-caliber C+C bullet started at 3000 or more kills ungulates very well. Everything else becomes a compromise from that ideal.

Cannot say any one aiming point... brown bear was twice through the heart broadside, once from each side. Bear made about 150 yards, dead bear running. At that point it twirled in place, absolutely painting a huge circle, then died and rolled another hundred yards.

He has also used CNS, shoulders, and frontal chest shots on deer, moose, caribou, mountain goat, etc...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barnes bullets are a funny subject. People that shoot them and don't like them really don't like them. People that shoot them and like them really really like them and are very sensitive about any negative that surrounds them. Almost like talking bad about their mothers.

I'm in the group that shot them on one Africa trip and was wondering why they were for sale to begin with..

Thanks for taking the time for the write up.

Todd

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

And you let him shoot a big bear with an 80 grain bullet? Isn't that like letting a kid play on an LA freeway?! Haha

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I'd be curious to hear your load with the 80 ttsx? You chronographed these loads?

72 grain of H4831, or 2213. I can get the same results with old 7828. That's a smidge over Barnes data. The loads were all chronographed in Canada, those loaded in camp in Australia weren't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by a12

And you let him shoot a big bear with an 80 grain bullet? Isn't that like letting a kid play on an LA freeway?! Haha

Not really a stunt and he is an adult, so he got to choose. The bear was not really much more than a monster black bear for size... 150 yards broadside and unaware.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, how is it things have stayed rather civil, on topic and not on the 5th page already?

Ive seen other .257cal Barnes X threads drift to people telling how much they then hated the .270win because J. O'Connors rifle
would only group 1.5" moa with Noslers... and that he didn't deserve to be a popular well read gun author because of it..... grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was asked to post some results of a recent deer cull hunt we did in Southern Australia, so here goes. There were 2 shooters, 3 calibers and 7 bullets used, and 500 animals taken, mostly fallow does and red hinds.we were expected to differenciate between male and female hornless yearlings too. Bear in mind that a hunt conducted to help control population may be lacking in some of the comforting niceities, and there is next to nothing pretty about it. On the other hand, its a lot of shooting. we averaged about 35 a day apiece.

So anyways here's the Readers Digest condensed version.

I was using a completely stock but very accurate Weatherby Lazerguard in .257 Weatherby as a main gun. The base load that I brought with me was the 115 grain NBT loaded with IMR 7828. The air-line limit of 5 Kilograms allowed 170 rounds. Three other loads were assembled in camp on a hand press, namely the 110 Accubond, 100 grain Swift Scirroco and finally the 80 TTSX all using ADI powders which as many of you know produces the Hodgdons powders we use over here. Ranges varied from zero to 700 yards, with most somewhere around the middle.

The 115 grain NBT is a bit sturdier than people give it credit for. It was a fast killer of the little fallows which are about pronghorn sized, and entirely adequite for the red hinds which ranges from the size of small whitetail for yearlings on the low end to some that would pass for a really nice cow elk. Exits were routine and DRTs likewise routine. I believe that the 100 grain would have been the perfect match for the fallows.They are pretty small.

Next in line is the 110 Accubond. It was surprisingly close to the NBT in performance, perhaps a little slower on rib hits on the little fallows and good on the reds. Exits could be expected. Shoulders were better than ribs. This H1000 load ( A2217) didn't survive the American to Australian translation well, and I was reluctant to shoot it much past 500. It also started showing pressure signs even when I backed it off a couple. These things happen.

The Swift proved to be a pretty tough bullet. If you just got lungs on the fallows you could count on a run even if it wasn't a long one, shoulders were much better. The bullet came into its own on the reds. Getting twofers on purpose with it became a bit of a game when my driver/guide/spotter/identifier/friend asked for them. Picking the right animal out of the herd and not killing the one behind it or in front can be frustrating, but sometimes two you want will line up. He was also prone to asking for random head shots, sometimes for no particular reason. What can I say, he's an Aussie. They do that.

The wheels fell off with the TTSXs. I was at least hopeful that the 3950 fps velocity would compensate for the copper bullets but that didn't prove to be the case.If you ever have a pressing need for something to die somewhere else this is your bullet. Practically everything that wasn't spined or brained ran, and many that fell to the shot got up an ran. you can't hear them hit, and most animals didn't even look hit. When we weren't looking for cripples we were getting the dogs to look for them. finding blood was a fantasy. We went out lamping one night (just once) with a another guide and a neighbouring property owner who is in the deer business as well as we could have some witnesses. Comments there were pretty damning. My favorite was "they shouldn't be allowed to sell those foooooking things".

So there you have it. I was predicting that the results would come in in a fastest killing order as presented. Softest to hardest, which also translated to least penetrating to most penetrating. It hasn't completely escaped my notice that the order is also heaviest to lightest, and slowest to fastest but they aren't that far apart except for the 80 grain outlier.

Great write up, thanks for the field report.

More importantly, how can I get a job do this too.

I am ALSO from Saskatchewan - that should count for something??:)

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Starman
Wow, how is it things have stayed rather civil, on topic and not on the 5th page already?

I'll admit to being surprised myself; at least about the civil part.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Me too. Also surprised about the 80 TTSXs...I would have banked on that one...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe

They have left me in awe...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I'm still banking on the 100 gr TTSX at 3550, it's a damn meanie!

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know of folks with 80s out of 25-06 rounds that have killed big bears and big moose and with zero complaints.... but thats not exactly the same. But should be dang close.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Justahunter
Barnes bullets are a funny subject. People that shoot them and don't like them really don't like them. People that shoot them and like them really really like them and are very sensitive about any negative that surrounds them. Almost like talking bad about their mothers.

I'm in the group that shot them on one Africa trip and was wondering why they were for sale to begin with..

Todd
Thats pretty simple because if they are not the best single bullet design out there, they are damn close to perfection.

But you know where I stand.

For folks that demand DRT, big holes, huge blood trails if they do run a bit etc... cup and core is your baby. For me running never has mattered one bit. The fact I can take any shot angle at any reasonable distance and almost be assured of 2 holes says all I've ever wanted.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cannot say any one aiming point... brown bear was twice through the heart broadside, once from each side. Bear made about 150 yards, dead bear running. At that point it twirled in place, absolutely painting a huge circle, then died and rolled another hundred yards.

A bear running 150 yards from a lung shot doesn't sound too good, sounds not too much different than what Model70Guy had happen. Barnes makes a good product but they aren't perfect all the time either.

Had some excellent results with the 358 200 gr TTSX this spring by the way but there seem to be way fewer problems reported with the bigger TTSX bullets.

I'm a big Accubond fan and have only recovered 2 so far but in general they expand really wide so it's not surprising they get caught in the hide on occasion. The bigger 358 and 375's I recovered really expanded wide and dropped game quick, so far all the 6.5's and 308's all have exited.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

For folks that demand DRT, big holes, huge blood trails if they do run a bit etc... cup and core is your baby. For me running never has mattered one bit. The fact I can take any shot angle at any reasonable distance and almost be assured of 2 holes says all I've ever wanted.

Around here if animals run excessive distances the chances on recovering them is not good, the brush is just too thick. I don't mind animals that run a ways but 100-200 yards and there can be big trouble. In the case of mountain goat DRT is preferred but in their case I try to take out some heavy bone anyway to make sure they don't run into the cliffs where they can't be recovered.

Gerry.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gerry35

A bear running 150 yards from a lung shot doesn't sound too good, sounds not too much different than what Model70Guy had happen. Barnes makes a good product but they aren't perfect all the time either.

Had some excellent results with the 358 200 gr TTSX this spring by the way but there seem to be way fewer problems reported with the bigger TTSX bullets.

I'm a big Accubond fan and have only recovered 2 so far but in general they expand really wide so it's not surprising they get caught in the hide on occasion. The bigger 358 and 375's I recovered really expanded wide and dropped game quick, so far all the 6.5's and 308's all have exited.

Bear was just shy of 8' and shot twice right through the middle of the heart... I have shot a lot of bears in the same place and had them go farther... using a lot bigger bullets.

I still cannot understand how everyone else gets pass-throughs with Accubonds and I have never seen one, even with bullets that should have made an exit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by rost495

Around here if animals run excessive distances the chances on recovering them is not good, the brush is just too thick. I don't mind animals that run a ways but 100-200 yards and there can be big trouble. In the case of mountain goat DRT is preferred but in their case I try to take out some heavy bone anyway to make sure they don't run into the cliffs where they can't be recovered.

I agree and a TTSX high in the shoulder will drop them as fast or faster than anything else I have seen.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A high shoulder will drop game in a heap, but the TTSX is far from the only bullet that will do that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Todd

In my experience folks that hate Barnes haven't used them much...kinda like the guys that'll tell you a .223 is inadequate for deer, and have never used one on a deer....

FWIW Ive formed more than a few staunch opinions myself, based on a "sample of one"... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had nothing but good results from the TSX and the TTSX, but I've not launched them faster than 3,350fps or slower than 2,950fps. In that velocity window, they don't seem to lose petals too much and have worked really well. Only caught one and it looked like something from a Barnes advertisement, after hanging in the hide on a diagonal shot on a big pig. I do like the tendency to leave a bleeding exit hole. And it's only a guess, but I bet that 80gr .257 TTSX would be more reliable when shot in that velocity window as well.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A high shoulder will drop game in a heap, but the TTSX is far from the only bullet that will do that.

IME&O the various X iterations are far more reliable at producing an exit and do far, far less meat damage.I will not use a C&C bullet on the shoulder of a meat animal...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think when you shoot the TTSX, you don't aim for lung tissue, aim for bone, break down the structure. I've had very good luck with 100 TTSX in the .257

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At 257 Weatherby velocities, a lug nut in any location would be a killing projectile. Don't worry about it.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

IME&O the various X iterations are far more reliable at producing an exit and do far, far less meat damage.I will not use a C&C bullet on the shoulder of a meat animal...

Personally, I don't care about meat damage. However, animals are in general sort of way made out of meat and meat-like substances. Since animals are killed by damage to the most immediately necessary bits, it stands to reason that that whatever does the most damage kills the fastest.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Personally, I don't care about meat damage. However, animals are in general sort of way made out of meat and meat-like substances. Since animals are killed by damage to the most immediately necessary bits, it stands to reason that that whatever does the most damage kills the fastest.

Sadly, it does not stand up to reason unless reason includes far more anatomical comprehension than most will ever get.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The 'you-can't-know-if-you-haven't-tried-it' argument gets so stale and crusty.

I don't text and drive. Never tried it even. Common sense would indicate taking any attention away from driving will cause problems resulting in accidents. Did we really need statistics to prove it? Do we have to try it to prove it?

Todd

In my experience folks that hate Barnes haven't used them much...kinda like the guys that'll tell you a .223 is inadequate for deer, and have never used one on a deer....

FWIW Ive formed more than a few staunch opinions myself, based on a "sample of one"... wink

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

Wellll, I'm old and stale and crusty...so that works!
laugh

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Join the club!

laugh

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Then again, so does the "I'm an expert on all sorts of things I've never even tried" approach...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So many teenagers today would declare their cell phone does NOT affect their driving.

Is it just simple genetic stupidity....or a lack of experience (accidents)?

Does driving to work one day without an accident....prove texting is safe?

Can a non-texter declare it is not safe? What if they've heard of accidents caused by texting?

The wheels fell off with the TTSXs. I was at least hopeful that the 3950 fps velocity would compensate for the copper bullets but that didn't prove to be the case.If you ever have a pressing need for something to die somewhere else this is your bullet. Practically everything that wasn't spined or brained ran, and many that fell to the shot got up an ran.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Then again, so does the "I'm an expert on all sorts of things I've never even tried" approach...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jstevens
I think when you shoot the TTSX, you don't aim for lung tissue, aim for bone, break down the structure. I've had very good luck with 100 TTSX in the .257

Also works well in the .257R, 3,250 fps over max charge of H100V.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by jstevens

Also works well in the .257R, 3,250 fps over max charge of H100V.

DF

Amen! from the back row! wink

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Model70Guy,

Yep, as you say, "A high shoulder will drop game in a heap, but the TTSX is far from the only bullet that will do that."

I've seen it and done it with a bunch of bullets, including (gasp!) the dreaded Bergers, and even Federal "blue box" and Remington Core-Lokt factory ammo. My wife did it, very deliberately, with the heaviest-bodied Montana whitetail buck she's ever taken, using a .243 Winchester and a 100-grain Nosler Partition at a measly 2900 fps. The lousy Partition even went through both shoulders and the spine--and exited.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
..animals are in general sort of way made out of meat and meat-like substances. Since animals are killed by damage to the most immediately necessary bits, it stands to reason
that whatever does the most damage kills the fastest.

.257 or .375 well placed through the heart or brain of deer, those organs are going to stop working might fast regardless.

In the case of say substantially larger elephant hearts and brains .458 cal solids seem relatively minuscule and damage not that visually impressive.

size for size, .257 through a deers heart has a smaller ratio than .458 through an elephants.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are more negative reports on the TSX line than all the other PREMIUM bullets combined. Where there is smoke....

My "sample of one" was using them on one trip to Africa that included 12 animals ranging from Cape Buffalo and Giraffe to Impala and Bushbuck... I'll never use them again and still wonder why they were for sale to begin with. I know a lot of really good men that swear by them. I swear at them and have earned the right to have my opinion about them.

Todd

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Model70Guy,

Yep, as you say, "A high shoulder will drop game in a heap, but the TTSX is far from the only bullet that will do that."

I've seen it and done it with a bunch of bullets, including (gasp!) the dreaded Bergers, and even Federal "blue box" and Remington Core-Lokt factory ammo. My wife did it, very deliberately, with the heaviest-bodied Montana whitetail buck she's ever taken, using a .243 Winchester and a 100-grain Nosler Partition at a measly 2900 fps. The lousy Partition even went through both shoulders and the spine--and exited.

Ain't that the truth. I'm sort of at the point of wanting the softest bullet I dare instead the hardest I can get. Heresy; I know. smile

My second rifle on this trip was a .300 win with a favorite load with the 190 Accubond LR, and a hastily camp developed one with the 210 Hunting VLD. Spectacular wound channels and exits were the norm, even on shoulder shots at close range.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

laugh

Well, I got ya beat by a couple of years, probably not with stale and crusty... laugh

Fast monos do mess up soft tissue.

High shoulder shots may produce faster DRT's, but here's how a 120 gr. TTSX impacted a 200# sow's heart. One caliber up from .257 (26 Nosler) and at 3,450 fps. This pig couldn't have been more DRT. I've posted this before but PB whacked it.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Todd

My girlfriend lunged a forkie whitetail a couple years ago. 223 with a Barnes bullet. Double trouble!

That buck ran a LONG way before falling over.

I've also seen long runs with the 80gr TTSX in a 25-06

Not the best bullet around, IMO.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
A bullet that gets lost in the latest and greatest shuffle is the 87gn Hornady.
It was Roy E Weatherby's favorite and I used it on Fallow, goats and pigs in a .257 Weatherby and it did work very well.
Also tried it in my .25/06 and would definitely consider it for White Tail sized game.

In the Weatherby, I loaded it to 3800fps and in the '06, up to 3600fos in my 26" barrel.
JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Model70Guy,

I've seen quite a few animals killed with both Barnes X's, from the original to TTSX's, as well as Berger bullets. In my experience, hunters who THINK Barnes X's destroy a lot of tissue are amazed when they see the amount of internal-organ destruction caused by a Berger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The lack of a returning "WHOMP" is interesting to me. I have not noticed that on game with the mono's but have certainly noticed it on steel.

All you get is that unrewarding "tink."

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Model70Guy,

I've seen quite a few animals killed with both Barnes X's, from the original to TTSX's, as well as Berger bullets. In my experience, hunters who THINK Barnes X's destroy a lot of tissue are amazed when they see the amount of internal-organ destruction caused by a Berger.

Things like being able to look at a wound and see the sky on the other side? Or smacking a deer so hard that it looks like its snowing out? wink

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
The TTSX failures may be caused by them shedding petals when driven at that velocity. If that is the cast they basically become FMJ bullets.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Gatogrizz27
The TTSX failures may be caused by them shedding petals when driven at that velocity. If that is the cast they basically become FMJ bullets.

If I pretended that I found any, I could pretend that I knew what they looked like. wink. Many other TSXs that I have found were de-flowered though, and all of which were fired at lower velocity.

I've been trying for many years now to not to get wrapped up in what a bullet is "supposed" to look like, what it is supposed to weigh, measure, what member of the fungus family it should resemble or even what letter of the alphabet it might resemble if you squint just right. All I care about anymore is results.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting report. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Model70Guy,
...hunters who THINK Barnes X's destroy a lot of tissue are amazed when they see the amount of internal-organ destruction caused by a Berger.

Yep, those can be pretty messy at the skinning shed...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

First of all, what ya think those "shedding petals" are doing? I'd say they's flying all around, messing up stuff. Go check out the Cutting Edge Bullet web site. Those guys make monos designed to fling off ALL the petals, the core blasting on thru. They're deadly.

So, from that reasoning, a Partition, after the front half messes up a bunch of tissue, the back half becomes an "FMJ"... whistle

Well, I reckon it does... grin

DF

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

First of all, what ya think those "shedding petals" are doing? I'd say they's flying all around, messing up stuff. Go check out the Cutting Edge Bullet web site. Those guys make monos designed to fling off ALL the petals, the core blasting on thru. They're deadly.

So, from that reasoning, a Partition, after the front half messes up a bunch of tissue, the back half becomes an "FMJ"... whistle

Well, I reckon it does... grin

DF

I did a 111 water buffalo cull a few years ago in Armhem land in which CEB Safari Raptors got pitted against TSXs and A-Frames. They didn't win.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive heard some wacko tales about CEB raptors e.g;

"Last year I had a hunter hit a bull facing 3/4 on on the near side just off the front shoulder with a 370gn Raptor in 416.
The impact drove the bull's head up in the air and tipped him over head over ass, quite spectacular."

No hunting bullet has ever been able to lift a hulking buff over end to end, till CEB came along ...LOL

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I read where an Africa hunter said the CEB Raptor wasn't his choice for thick brush. He said they flew apart when hitting brush. Makes sense.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm conflicted about the TTSX's performance in your report and my experience with them which has been very good in 7mm, 30/06, and the 375 H&H. No run-offs other than very short distances and most DRT. I have seen some narrow wound channels though and even through soft tissue (lungs).

I wonder if it has something to do with that weight in the 257? Or "that batch" for example?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And pretty obviously, I was driving those respective Barnes a lot slower than you were.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

And pretty obviously, I was driving those respective Barnes a lot slower than you were.

George,

I experienced something like that, 80 gr. TTSX at 3,600 fps out of my .240 Wby., not nearly 80 gr. at 3,900 fps,

I think the effect of speed on bullets can be a major factor regarding optimal bullet performance.

I try to match bullet design and velocity for the task at hand. The best testing lab is in the field, oberving how well bullets kill game animals.

Conventional wisdom has it that there is no mono velocity ceiling. Theoretically, maybe not; a mono won't blow up. Practically speaking, there seems to be a functional velocity ceiling in cases like this, low S.D. monos at warp speed.

Terminal performance is the gold standard, all else is speculation.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

I'm conflicted about the TTSX's performance in your report and my experience with them which has been very good in 7mm, 30/06, and the 375 H&H. No run-offs other than very short distances and most DRT. I have seen some narrow wound channels though and even through soft tissue (lungs).

I wonder if it has something to do with that weight in the 257? Or "that batch" for example?

Maybe there is a simpler answer. The frontal area of a 7mm is about 25% larger than a .25. The 30 cals are half again bigger and the .375s a bit over double. Size isn't everything but it is something. If big guns weren't better for something there wouldn't be any big guns.;)

I've used Barnes in 6mm, .257, .277, 7mm, .308, .338, .375, .416 and .458. I no longer see any sense in using them on anything smaller than buffalo, and honestly if they don't quit making A-Frames I don't want them there either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

On a phone here so hard to reply easily but I think that is a very valid point.

DF, I have not used them at the those very high velocities-- interesting supposition.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It appears, looking at these results, once a certain bullet mass/S.D. is reached, high speed terminal performance seems to stabilize. And, like George said, he wasn't pushing them at warp speed; I think that's the key point.

My thinking: when you get into larger calibers, you shouldn't see a terminal performance "velocity ceiling". .264 may be the break point caliber. I push 120 TTSX and E-Tips at high speed in the 26 Nos. S.D is .246, up from the sub .20 S.D.'s, 80 gr .257 and .243 TTSXs.

I have moved on from using llight monos at high speed on game, would think Model70guy has as well.

The Nos runs 120 monos at 3,450 fps, not 3,800, a more balanced mass/velocity ratio and quite effective on game. I'm not sure if the higher S.D. or the inability to push a 6.5 120 gr. TTSX at 3,800 fps is the biggest factor. Maybe some of both.

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes, my bet is that weight (or lack-of).

I wonder if it has something to do with that weight in the 257?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bought 1800 of those 87 grain SP's at a gun store closing out years ago (for $5.99 box). Very decisive (and destructive) on the 20-25 coyotes we shot with them. Shot a few hundred prairie dogs with them as well, but had to watch barrel temps closely. They are all gone now, years ago.

Very accurate in the Remington 25-06........but don't know why anyone would want to go after any sort of big game with them....even Roy.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
A bullet that gets lost in the latest and greatest shuffle is the 87gn Hornady.
It was Roy E Weatherby's favorite and I used it on Fallow, goats and pigs in a .257 Weatherby and it did work very well.
Also tried it in my .25/06 and would definitely consider it for White Tail sized game.

In the Weatherby, I loaded it to 3800fps and in the '06, up to 3600fos in my 26" barrel.
JW

Attached Images
25-06pds - Copy.jpg (57.29 KB, 576 downloads)

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I read where an Africa hunter said the CEB Raptor wasn't his choice for thick brush. He said they flew apart when hitting brush. Makes sense.

DF

That was the problem I had with them; which is a bit of an Achilles heel for animals that live in the bush. Another is that they slow down like they are dragging an anchor. If they kill any better at close range I was never able to detect it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Model70Guy,

Thank you for the report, very interesting results.

Do you happen to have a breakdown of how many animals taken with each type of bullet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

... The frontal area of a 7mm is about 25% larger than a .25. The 30 cals are half again bigger and the .375s a bit over double.
Size isn't everything but it is something. If big guns weren't better for something there wouldn't be any big guns.;)

Harry Selby for decades guided on or culled everything from elephant to antelope with moderate vel. .416 solid, in effect a frontal area notably
smaller than some of the expanded softs from your .257 Wby, however, what the Rigby especially offered was bullet weight for penetration.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Model70Guy,
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to share your results.

Salmonhead
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by a12

Not really a stunt and he is an adult, so he got to choose. The bear was not really much more than a monster black bear for size... 150 yards broadside and unaware.

Having dunked that skull in a shrimp pot, I'll just say I would be amazed to see a black bear skull that size.

Regarding cull hunts, I think a Berger VLD would work well.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ringman
Model70Guy,

That is some interesting info. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Ditto.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by a12

Having dunked that skull in a shrimp pot, I'll just say I would be amazed to see a black bear skull that size.

Regarding cull hunts, I think a Berger VLD would work well.

Brown bears are larger than blacks...

Saw a gorgeous Toklat bear day before yesterday on the Kisaralik...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Model70,

Thanks for posting. Your results don't surprise me at all, in fact, I would have bet on that outcome. Your study is also corroborated by the study done at Cedar Knoll Hunt club in SC where they found that premium bullets in thin skinned whitetails caused deer to run a good bit further than standard cup and core bullets.

I am using the 130 Nosler AB in my .264 for a compromise between ultimate penetration and tissue destruction - so far so good and runners have not gone very far and have left an adequate blood trail. If I didn't already have the 130s I'd probably just shoot the 120 ballistic tips.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Out of curiosity, how big?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Out of curiosity, how big?

I would be lying if I gave a hard number from memory, but it was very ordinary for a middle-aged sow in this part of AK. The hide was/is about 8'3", very average for middle-age sows in salmon country. I want to say the skull was about 22???

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
That would make a real nice black bear. Our three family black bears taken on the farm this year scored out at 21 9/16, 20 10/16 and 19 even. I doubt that we could do that again. With the new bear trapping season coming up I suppose we'll get to try.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

'Bout this big.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That would make a real nice black bear. Our three family black bears taken on the farm this year scored out at 21 9/16, 20 10/16 and 19 even. I doubt that we could do that again. With the new bear trapping season coming up I suppose we'll get to try.

That's a hella farm you have there. You should guide a few hunters.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Backs against a national park.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great report/info. My results with the 115 Ballistic Tip mirror the OP's.

Launched at a tad over 3400fps from my 257 Wby, the 115 Ballistic Tip holds up surprisingly well. It's an unbelievable killer. I've had more DRT's with this cartridge/bullet combo than any other. It just flat turns the lights out. Like the OP, I've also used the 110 AB with H1000 and experienced nearly the same result. Quick kills similar to the NBT, but with the occasional unexplained pressure excursions. Because of this, I've just stuck with the 115. It seems to hold up just as well at the 110 AB and it's consistently more accurate.

As for the Barnes, I shy away from them. The only thing I've ever shot with a Barnes was a hog using the 80 TTSX from my 25-06. It dropped him instantly, but it was a head shot, so any bullet would have most likely worked. I've just read too many stories of lost game using Barnes bullets. I prefer the animal not to run after being shot. Here in South Texas, that can be somewhat of a problem. Tracking a wounded animal through cactus and thick, rattlesnake infested scrub brush is not an ideal scenario for me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like a photo post fail. It looked good on the Preview, really.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ok, so it didn't fail,,,

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Last edited by Model70Guy; 08/18/17.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is a good bear!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13023389/sons-bear#comments

Just as a follow up, the bear rug showed up a couple days ago. I'm 6' 1". The bear is still 8' between the front finger nails and 7' 9" nose to tail. He was 8' 4 " when green.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 07/29/18.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In my limited expierance when a mono sheds its petals they kill pretty poorly. In addition I have found several shed petals in the entrance wound that never made it to the chest cavity so I dont know if I buy the argument that shedding petals decreases the time it takes for an animal to expire.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m surprised about the TTSX, I’ve killed many pigs with them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Model70,

Thanks for posting. Your results don't surprise me at all, in fact, I would have bet on that outcome. Your study is also corroborated by the study done at Cedar Knoll Hunt club in SC where they found that premium bullets in thin skinned whitetails caused deer to run a good bit further than standard cup and core bullets.

Here's the study you referenced. http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BWalker,

My experience with "petal" type bullets is that losing or retaining them doesn't make any noticeable difference in "killing power." Have been shooting them since the 1990's on BUNCH of game.

One thing that often happens is the front end of any "petal-free" bullet is usually well above bore diameter when recovered, and the front end is flat.

Of course, the percentage of bullets that shed various numbers of petals is only approximate, since the number recovered is pretty small. I'd guess the recovered percentage of Barnes X's (whether the first, the blue-coated version, or the TSX, TTSX, etc.), Fail Safes, Hornady GMX's, Nosler E-Tips or whatever is less than 20%. But I do have a substantial number in my collection, going back to around 1990.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Losing petals doesn't bother me, either.

Cutting Edge bullets are designed to do just that and they are very effective.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TTSXs, like Porsche, there is no substitute and especially at 3500 plus smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've posted before about my experience with a low S,D. mono at 3,600 fps. It seems to me that you need a mono S.D. > .2 for optimal hyper vel. terminal performance on WT class game.

My 240 Wby shooting 80 gr. TTSX at 3,600 fps didn't do well on a WT doe. Way too much superficial destruction, not enough in the chest cavity.

I'm thinking one would expect better with larger caliber, higher S.D. monos at hyper velocity. Low S.D. bullets may be losing too much energy too quickly without enough follow thru mass for an efficient kill.

Would appreciate thoughts on that.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BWalker,

My experience with "petal" type bullets is that losing or retaining them doesn't make any noticeable difference in "killing power." Have been shooting them since the 1990's on BUNCH of game.

One thing that often happens is the front end of any "petal-free" bullet is usually well above bore diameter when recovered, and the front end is flat.

Of course, the percentage of bullets that shed various numbers of petals is only approximate, since the number recovered is pretty small. I'd guess the recovered percentage of Barnes X's (whether the first, the blue-coated version, or the TSX, TTSX, etc.), Fail Safes, Hornady GMX's, Nosler E-Tips or whatever is less than 20%. But I do have a substantial number in my collection, going back to around 1990.

As I said my expiereance was limited. Just grasping for a reason to explain the pretty inconsistent results I have gotten from monos at times.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=AussieGunWriter]A bullet that gets lost in the latest and greatest shuffle is the 87gn Hornady.

I spoke with a guy whose entire family and friends ( about a dozen in all) all used the 25-06 and that Hornady 87grsp for South Texas whitetail. On the Hill country deer, he said they sometimes got almost "end to end" penetration! I've only used the 115NP and the 100 TSX out of the .257W myself, and had no issues. thanks for "testing" out that 80gr TTSx, I would have "chosen it" if it had been available since it is the fastest. I would love to go on a cull hunt IF I didn't have to do the gutting/butchering! ha. The Wild Game cullers I saw in Leakey, Tx, all used the 22-250, head shots only and had a big cheek full of Red Man chewing tobacco! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/01/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
our group of deer hunters that shoot 257 weatherby`s only use 100 gr. Nosler partition or myself and some others use 100 gr. Swift A-frames we have tried other bullets but have had poorer results,we hunt whitetails by the border of Canada in Minnesota so these deer are bigger too . thanks for posting your results of the cull hunt I figured the swift bullets would do good always have for me. thank you ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I love the cleaning part. Just part of the process.

100 ttsx and my buddy and I have never looked back. Though I only used mine a few years, until the 300/221 and can came along... no need for the 257 and they all run about the same distance anyway.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by pete53
our group of deer hunters that shoot 257 weatherby`s only use 100 gr. Nosler partition or myself and some others use 100 gr. Swift A-frames we have tried other bullets but have had poorer results,we hunt whitetails by the border of Canada in Minnesota so these deer are bigger too . thanks for posting your results of the cull hunt I figured the swift bullets would do good always have for me. thank you ,Pete53

Pete . . . since you are hunting big woods, I imagine some of those deer can be shot pretty close up too.

How well do the 100 gr. Partitions hold up when the shots are at close range and the velocity is high?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don`t use Partitions anymore because deer shot close with a Partition make a mess on a deer at close range the guts are just soup and bullet is destroyed ,that`s why I use Swift a-frames these bullets worked better close range or a long ways out ,Swift bullets are as accurate too, swift 100 grain a-frame bullets seem to work well deer or elk as many of my friends feel too.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I don`t use Partitions anymore because deer shot close with a Partition make a mess on a deer at close range the guts are just soup and bullet is destroyed ,that`s why I use Swift a-frames these bullets worked better close range or a long ways out ,Swift bullets are as accurate too, swift 100 grain a-frame bullets seem to work well deer or elk as many of my friends feel too.

I'd rather lose SOME meat than maybe ALL of it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If by guts you mean chest contents, then soup is what I like to see.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just theorizing but possibly did the 80 grain TTSX shed its petal immediately on entrance? I have had good results with the Barnes but never drove them past about 3500 fps.
I like the term deflowered for this phenomena. I will give the 87 Hornaday a try when ever I get through all my other bullet testing.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you for sharing your experience, Model70Guy.

Since 2005, every year except for this one, I have been going to RSA and Namibia on cull hunts. This, and not an occasional deer shot for the pot, has given me the opportuniyt to do all kinds of testing, and my experience agrees with yours.

My summary would be that NBTs and Bergers are fantastic killers and provide shorter running distances than Accubond/Partitions, ... which are fater killers than non-shedding petal monolithics like GMX, ETips, TTSXs, ... which are faster than petal shedding monolithics like GS Customs, KJG, SAX SRs, Sologne GPAs...

This is not a prejudged idea consequence of manufacturer's pamphlets or else's ideas and/or opinions, and I hope nobody takes offense.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I try not to hit guts. Just about any bullet is going to make a mess if it hits a critter in the guts.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm going to do something similar again in a few days. There's a few planned changes; for instance the calibers will be .270 Weatherby and 7-300 Win. Bullets are 140 NBT, 140 Accubonds (3360), 130 Sciroccos (3500) and (prepare to be horrified, you have been warned) 7mm 180 Hunting VLDs.(3150) Not a copper bullet in the mix.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm going to do something similar again in a few days. There's a few planned changes; for instance the calibers will be .270 Weatherby and 7-300 Win. Bullets are 140 NBT, 140 Accubonds (3360), 130 Sciroccos (3500) and (prepare to be horrified, you have been warned) 7mm 180 Hunting VLDs.(3150) Not a copper bullet in the mix.

Now that I am excited to hear about! Thank you for taking the time to post up your results! I like those danged Scirocco's!

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Why not try some standard Interlocks? So many people seem to think that the more expensive bullets are the only ones that work. I have shot several hundred deer on depredation hunts using 100-grain Interlocks from a 6mm and 129-grainers from a .260. Along with that, a number of them with a 7 mag shooting 139-grainers and .308 and 30-06 shooting 150-grainers. These bullets are all sub-moa in my rifles and I have not lost a single animal, due to what I would call "bullet failure".

I get using premium bullets on heavy game, but I can see no legit reason to use them on average game. I love Partitions on elk and even killed one moose with them, but they just are not necessary for light-skinned game. The same goes for other premium bullets.

I guess if money is no object, then they are fine, but I like a bit more bang for the buck, so to speak.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've used pails full of Hornady Interlocks in 277. 284 and 308 calibers. Less so in 338 and 358. More 130, 139, 154s, 165s and 180s than anything. As long as I stayed with the flat-based bullets things worked out. At the most extreme velocities and shortest of ranges they get a little iffy, and at the longer ranges that I see more of these days the typically low BCs aren't doing me any favors. For everything in between though; sure why not? I actually did one of my little tests across 600 animals with the 30-06s. Lets just say that across the board I'd rather use it than the darling of the mono-bullet crowd.

Now, I have a plane to catch. Wish me luck; or failing that at least don't cheer for the deer. wink

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I know alot of guys on the 'Fire swear by the Barnes, but this past season, I used one of their 100 grain 'X' bullets on a decent sized Whitetail, shot at right around one-hundred yards distant. Your observations mirror my own. No blood to speak of, and the deer ran off as if not even hit. Luckily, I found it by following it's tracks through the leaf litter. Perfect shot, through the vitals, in-and-out. Bullet is probably still going.

I have used Nosler Ballistic Tips pretty much exclusively for years now on Whitetails, and just about everything else. 99% of the time, it's DRT, and I can count on one hand how many bullets I recovered. I gave the Barnes a try this year, because it was what I had laying around for my Roberts, and I was in a hurry to throw a load together to be able to use the rifle this past season. They shot fantastic, but I don't see what all the hype is terminally speaking. I'll stick with the NBT's from here on out. I have never found anything that has worked better for me.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To me, a lot depends on game hunted and muzzle velocity.

In my 7-08, I like the 120 NBT, and a lot of folks agree.

WIth my 26 Nosler, I like the 120 TTSX/ E-Tip because they're very accurate and don't blow up at extreme velocity. Although they do mess up a lot of meat.

I don't think there is any one correct answer; one size doesn't fit all.

IMO,

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Was hoping you were going to try the 100 gr TTSX instead of the 80 in the .257 bee

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would tend to agree, especially with the muzzle velocity part. I didn't Chronograph them, but I can't imagine those 100 grain Barnes leaving the 21" barrel of my Roberts faster than about 2,800 fps based on the load I was using, not exactly hyper-speed. I am going to assume it did expand, just not in a dramatic fashion as do the Ballistic Tip. Based on my experiences with a 250-3000 I have used for a few years, had I been using the 100 grain NBT, that deer would have dropped where it stood.

Though on the other end of the scale, I wouldn't want to be hunting Elk, Moose, or Griz with a standard cup-and-core Ballistic Tip. I'm sure it has been done, but I would probably move up to something bonded such as the Accubond or as you mentioned, the copper E-Tip. Perhaps that is where the all copper Barnes would shine.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Was hoping you were going to try the 100 gr TTSX instead of the 80 in the .257 bee

I think one needs to balance S.D. with velocity. If you push a low S.D. mono at hyper velocity, some strange things may happen on WT sized game, may be OK on varmints.

An 80 TTSX at 3,600 fps out of my .240 blew a huge, gaping hole in the chest wall of a WT doe, unimpressive chest cavity pass thru with min internal damage and a delayed kill.

I like S.D. > .2, pushed at warp speed. So, IMO, the 100 Barnes would be a better choice than the 80 in that gun at full speed on WT's. May not matter on hogs or varmints.

IMO based on my observation.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^ Yep ^ I would not trust the 80gr and can't see a reason to hunt anything as large as a deer with them at .257 bee velocity. I don't see where there is going to be any earth shattering news coming from the new mix of bullets being used.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I try not to hit guts. Just about any bullet is going to make a mess if it hits a critter in the guts.

actually it was a center lung shot at 70 feet and that 100 grain partition blew up,probably because the bullet was fast and the insides were all soup,i was in a very thick-wet-snowy swamp so shots were very close,it was the only rifle I had up in the north country. >> if you have ever hunted much you would have learned a good bullet in the guts would just go right thru and just make a small hole entrance and exit.

Last edited by pete53; 08/15/18.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not to sidetrack this from 257 Weatherby talk but I think it adds a bit.

This was shot outta my Mashburn at 3500 and change

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bullets don’t have to grenade at high speed nor be super high SD if they are built to take the speed. Plus when they stay wide like that the whole way they penetrate plenty far since they retain most of their starting weight.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good points.

But "built to take the speed" speaks to the bullet. Low S.D. monos at hypervelocity speaks to the terminal performance on deer. Bullet probably does fine, it's the quick kill, DRT that can become the issue.

Some complain about showing too much gore on the internet, but this photo shows the huge blast effect of the low S.D. 80 gr. TTSX at 3,600 fps out of a .240 Wby. Deer ran 100 yds and had to be found at night with flashlights.

Double hands full of shock tissue and blood clots, all on the outside of the chest wall. Uneventful pass thru the chest cavity with min tissue disruption and a slow kill. I'm sure the bullet did well, didn't blow up. But the terminal effect was not good, IMO.

I now shoot 100 gr. NPT's in that gun with much better terminal ballistics and DRT's.

Speaking of "soup" in the chest, a 90 gr. Scenar at max .240 speed made for a really nasty clean up at the skinning shed. Lungs were soup, diaphragm was shattered, there were grains of corn from the stomach in the soup. Great bullet, super accurate, but a poor choice for WT at that speed. It doesn't take me long to learn what to use, what not to use.

DF

Entrance wound, 80 gr TTSX @ 3,600 fps, 125 yds.
[Linked Image]

Exit wound, same bullet. Obviously lost some of that initial pizazz.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/15/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
those pictures are exactly what my 257 Weatherby mag does with partitions but not as nasty with the swift a-frame bullets,one thing good about deer shot with speed those deer sure don`t go far. My good friend ask me which direction that deer went ? I said down.

Last edited by pete53; 08/15/18.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,095 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,963
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.