Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So, I'll be going to Wyoming in 2018 with a group of 7. We'll all have two preference points going into that draw. Any unit advice?

Public access is most important. We're all in good shape, experienced hunters. a few of the group hunted antelope in the 80s but for most of us it'll be our first time doing any "western hunting" We're primarily just looking to be in good antelope country with good opportunities. None of us are worried about the size of the buck.

Lodging is a consideration as well. We have a few that would prefer a cheap hotel/motel. And a few that don't mind camping. Also, taking a camper is an option.

Any and all advice will be appreciated over the next year while planning this out.
-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Look at all of the units that boarder I-25

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have friends who have done very well in recent years on the public lands along the eastern side of the state south and east of Newcastle. I'm not sure about numbers this year, but it's worth a look.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Drawing tags may present a problem even with two preference points. At least the units in SW Wyoming that I put in for have been hard to draw the last several years. I drew four years in a row and now have struck out the last six.

Last week I drove through Wyoming (Evanston to Cheyenne) and saw relatively few animals along the way. Typically we drive this route 1-2 times a year so have a feeling for how many animals we normally see.

In fact saw about the same numbers of antelope on the Pawnee National Grassland in Northern Colorado as we did the whole trip through Wyoming and we only went 20-30 miles on the grassland.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
The maximum numbers of hunters applying on a party application is six (6). You have a problem with seven hunters wanting to hunt the same unit.

Check the drawing odds for the 2017 season to get some idea of what units are possible (https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing%20Odds/DRAW_ANT_PP_NONRES_2017.pdf), but keep in mind that the number of points needed in any given unit can change quite a bit from year to year. I watched a unit that was able to be drawn with four points in 2016, but in 2017 nobody with less than eight points was drawn. Look at the amount of BLM and state land in each possible unit and also look at the Walk In areas.

You will not be able to cross any private land to access public land without landowner permission. Trespassing is very much frowned upon! The checkerboard units are a particular problem unless there is a public access road going through them that will keep your feet off of private land.

Camping is allowed on BLM land but not on state land. I have stayed in the pay-to-park campgrounds before that worked out well for us (electric, water, and showers).

The units near I-25 or near Casper are worth a look but some of them are way out of reach with two points. The better units with good public access take more points, but two points is a whole lot better than none. A telephone call to the regional BLM office can certainly be worth your time.

I would definitely pick up a doe tag or two either in your buck unit or a nearby unit. Doe tags are inexpensive ($48 each if I remember right) and usually easily obtained.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Good to know about the group limit. I somehow missed that while reading through stuff when we started buying points.
-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Might not sweat the 7 person deal when 6 is maximum that can apply on one application. Figure up the shared cost: gas, food, etc and ask for that money up front PRIOR to applying and say is non-refundable once the application is submitted unless is unsuccessful in the draw. My experience is if the group of 7 had this idea 2 years ago that something has changed for one or more of the 7 but until it requires more skin in the game than 2 years of buying a pronghorn point as a NR then not much skin compared to coming up with the several hundred to buy the license, pay for the fuel, food, motel on the drive, etc, plus get time off work plus have a relationship that is supportive of this adventure. Hopefully all 7 are in for the win and if so just focus on units that could be drawn with two points last year and put in as a group of 4 and a group of 3 and roll the dice everyone draws or no one draws the first choice. A second choice, if drawn, does not use up your points but does spend the license money.

Good luck. If all 7 are in this to win it then could draw straws to put 6 of you in as a group of 6 in and one enters solo.

A computer once beat me at chess. I then won a kickboxing contest with the same computer. So, 1-1 to date.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It is not that easy to pick up leftovers anymore. The state just started a secondary drawing for the tags leftover after the initial drawing. Once the secondary drawing is done then you can buy any tags leftover online. Plus lots of quota cutback in certain areas and increase in hunter participation due to later application deadline has made getting tags harder.
Good luck!

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I believe that you will need to factor something in for "point creep" when you guys start to narrow down the list of units. Some of the units that were drawn with two points this year may well take two and a half or three points next year. There is no way to predict it with any accuracy, but generally there has been noticeable creep in recent years. If I had two points I would consider including units that were one point units this year in my final list of units for next year. I would also look at the total number of tags issued to NR for each unit. Some of the units only have a very small amount of NR tags available, and usually with good reason.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Will we be able to find a decent hunt with two points do you think? Or should we look at pushing the hunt back a year?
-Jake

In God We Trust.
IC B3

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I've had several great hunts and never had to use PPs at all but the times they are a changin. Even so, don't EVER skip hunting to get a point... you can always put in for an impossible unit as first choice and a second choice that has 100% draw success.

If you don't get yer first choice you get a point but you don't need points to have a great hunt. The points buy easier access but if you work you can have an awesome hunt on zero points.

Good luck!

If I had two points to burn for 2018 I'd go special draw on area 27:

http://diyhuntingmaps.com/unit/wy/antelope/27/index.html

58% public, guaranteed in special draw, and 94% success rate. Fantastic.

The only wrong answer is to not go. Seriously the practice you get on a difficult hunt will make the expenditure of points worth it. Just go.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I was leaning towards unit 27 after doing some research on wyomings webpage. Looks like plenty of access and should be easy to get the tag on the draw.
-Jake

In God We Trust.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
With the big price increase in license fees for next year I would think unit 27 might be within reach in the special draw with two points. I am not sure how many guys are going to be happy to pay $612 for a pronghorn tag so just maybe the special draw will not be affected badly by point creep.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Apply-or-Buy/License-Fee-List/2018-License-Fee-Changes

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yes, that price increase will certainly scare some away from the special draw.
-Jake

In God We Trust.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,852 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.