Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What is everyone's thoughts?

I am tired of lugging my normal bag around, strapped to the outside of my pack. It is somewhat heavy, but what I am really tired of is the bulky size and the fact that I have to strap it to the back of my pack, which creates leverage on my back making it feel much heavier.

What is the best sleeping bag (say, down to 20 degrees or less), but but is also light and especially packable. I'd like something that compresses down to easily fit inside the main pocket of my pack, but not be one of those cheap wally world special warm weather bags. I'm not too worried about money, within reason.

TIA.

GB1

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Go ultra light. Share a sleeping bag with your hunting partner. One guy carries the sleeping bag, other carries the spotting scope.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Go down. My 10 degree bag from z packs weighs around a pound and half and compresses to nothing. I used to use the synthetics because I was worried about getting my bag wet. But really the cost in bulkiness was just far too much. I went for down and am never going back!

I also live and hunt on Kodiak where it is very wet and I have never had problems keeping the bag dry (except once - see below) - I use a lightweight bevy from TiGoat to protect the bag and help keep it dry. Also the down bags can get wet and still work far far better than what you read on the internet. On an Afognak elk hunt I did soak my down bag and was super worried but I was still able to dry it with body heat and this with temps in the 30s. So they can take some water. And oh so warm and oh so light and packable. My bag fits into a liter sized Nalgene bottle. Patrick

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been happy with a Marmot Helium for the temps you describe. I know that lots of guys swear by their Western Mountaineering bags. They're a little more expensive.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T_Inman:

I use a Western Mountaineering "Alpinlite" for summer backpacking. It weighs 2# and is rated at 20°F.
I use a Western Mountaineering "Antelope" for winter backpacking. It's rated at 5°F and weighs about 2 1/2#.

Both compress into a package small enough to fit inside a medium size stuff sack, which you can easily go into the bottom pouch of your backpack.

Both are pricey. You get what you pay for.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As you know, I'm fat. So I have a hard time with true mummy designs. I've had very good luck with a semi-mummy from Big Agnes (Lost Ranger). I stuff it and a small pillow into the stuff sack, which easily fits sideways in the very bottom of my pack. If I wasn't so broke I'd get another as the one I have has lost a bit of loft over the years.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Ditto on WM. Save money for a good pad in your budget - an appropriate R-Value pad for your bag will go a long ways in realizing the full potential of the bag's temp rating.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sorry everybody; but, these two posts posted back to back made me choke on my coffee.
Originally Posted by WDH
Go ultra light. Share a sleeping bag with your hunting partner.

Originally Posted by pgsalton
Go down.

Anyway, to T_Inman, down insulation is the way to go. I'm sorry if it complicates your quest; but, seriously consider going the quilt route too. I'm glad I did.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 07/31/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There isn't a single best sleeping bag, but I agree with the general consensus of the others that down is the way to go for light weight and compressibility and long life. I've got a Feathered Friends down bag and a Marmot as well. I think just about any of the good name-brand down bags will serve you well if you choose carefully for proper temperature range and size. I favor mummy bags for cold temps but as TheBigSky mentioned the modern quilts, with their foot box, are liked by many who want more room.

I use a trash compactor bag inside my pack to keep my bag dry.

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks all.

I'll look into all those options, especially the sharing suggestion. Man love Thursday can't......come......soon enough.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's too wet most of the year where I live to run a down bag so I mostly use synthetic bags (although I still have some down bags), I'm looking into getting the kifaru slick bag, it's not the lightest it most compact but it's long enough, wide enough and I like the center zip design.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Tag I want to hear all opinions and opinions as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Western Mountaineering in our house. We have three currently.

Which 20* bag you chose will in large part be dictated by your size.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
If you are slim enough to fit into the Western Mountaineering bags, the Antelope is a great one. At 6-1 and 200lbs I no longer fit in my Antelope and sold it. Last fall I bought a Kifaru 0 degree bag and used it winter camping once (19 degrees in the morning) and tested it in my yard one night ( 21 degrees in the morning). Inside a 4 season tent of course! I'm liking it, it has room and is one light bag--even a tad lighter than my Antelope. We shall see about the longevity of my Kifaru bag.

I bought the Kifaru on sale in the fall at a price I couldn't touch for one of the WM bags.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't fit in a true mummy bag. At one time I had a Western Mountaineering "highlite", 35 degree 16 ounce bag. Too tight across the shoulders. I gave it to my daughter, works well for her.

I've switched to WM semi-rectangular bags, 40 degree (mitylite), 25 degree (sycamore MF), and 5 degree (sequoia MF). Unlike some of the cheap bags, their temp ratings are solid. I use the 40 degree bag for most of my summer backpacking, the 25 degree bag for most of hunting season, and the 5 degree bag for winter coyote calling trips.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Go Down , some really good bags out there. It is hard to go wrong with WM or FF . Marmot bags have a better price and work but IMO can be more frustrating with things like a snaggy zipper or not as good as draft collar. Quilts are a good way to go as well.

Currently I use;
- A down Nunatak quilt (20 rating)
- A FF flicker (20 rating)
- A custom Nunatak bag that is somewhere between a quilt and big bag (20 rating) probably sleeps like 10 and is super comfy
- A synthetic Nunatak over quilt for extra warmth or not very cold at all (45 rating) ..adds about 15 -20 degrees used as an over bag

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a down bag wet and it's worthless, can't say the same for synthetic. I like my Wiggy bag and haven't had any issues in over 10 years worth of use. It's all personal preference.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife and I are very happy with our WM Antelope bags. I also has a WM Summerlite that I find physically too small and I'm not very big. Never have gotten my down bags wet. I've never slept in any of the bags without a liner. We have numerous liners for the various conditions. Ground insulation is critical for a good night's sleep.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where will you be using the bag? FWIW you gotta keep down dry. Us wet side wanderers always chime in with this but it is a BIG DEAL if you are backpacking where it rains non-stop most of the Fall. If really backpack hunt hard in such conditions, it is a matter of when your bag gets wet, not if.

If inside a heated cabin or wall tent, anywhere is OK for down. In wet climates moisture accumulates in down day after day if there is no heat to dry the slow build of moisture from a human body released into the bag. Depends on humidity of course. My rule of thumb for backpacking with down is to use it under a tarp or tent anywhere pine or sage will grow.

I have slept in wet sleeping bags several times, in spite of my best attempts to keep dry yet pack light gear. I accidentally dropped my sleeping bag in a lake on a Vancouver Island backpack in October. My worst was a North Cascade multi-day backpack hunt when it rained and blew rain sideways constantly for days except when it turned to snow and slush for awhile before going back to rain and bombing us with gobs of wet snow falling from trees. A synthetic bag may feel like a sauna when wet but it retains loft and they have kept me comfortably warm even when wet through.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/01/17. Reason: clarity
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
As an added note, one reason I bought the Kifaru bag was for the water repellent treated down. Talked to a number of folks who says it appears to be the real deal. Otherwise I would not have bought a down bag. We shall see how the bag fares over time, because the treated down is a still relatively new thing.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 54 invisible), 3,157 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.