Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They make down bags now? I have a synthetic and like it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks everyone.

I'm 6'1" and 180 pounds, so need a relatively long bag. I have never been real comfortable in mummy bags...I guess I roll around a lot.

I will use this bag in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho mainly, but do wander up to Alaska for hunts every few years.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Mont Bell makes an EXP Long, super stretch, ultra light down Bag that has gotten me through a few cold Montana nights.

I'm 6'-4" and 235 lbs... it's snug, warm and the stretch feature made it comfortable.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought a Northface Furnace 20 'long bag' a couple of years ago from Cabela's. I've been happy with it so far. I'm about your size and can sleep comfortably on my side in it. Only downfall is the snaggy zipper. Can't zip up super fast.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Thanks everyone.

I'm 6'1" and 180 pounds, so need a relatively long bag. I have never been real comfortable in mummy bags...I guess I roll around a lot.

I will use this bag in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho mainly, but do wander up to Alaska for hunts every few years.

The trick is to not roll inside the bag like you are home under your covers.

*Wear* the bag and have it move with you. Works for me.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
*Wear* the bag and have it move with you.

Become one with the bag?

I'd check out a kifaru synthetic fill bag if wet weather is on the menu. They are vastly improved over the earlier versions.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, more or less like a garment.

yanno wut I mean Vern?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A mere garment? Not very zen-like, I'm disappointed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I move around when I sleep. A good quilt took back-country sleeping from "tolerable" to "enjoyable" for me.

T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks everyone. I ordered a Kifaru slick +20 and a compression sack. I didn't see any down sleeping bags on their website, and they really only have one bag...the slick...so I am not sure where folks are finding their down bag. I decided to go synthetic because of my Alaskan hunts I do every few years (including this year).

I came really close to ordering a WM alpenlite but just haven't had luck with mummys...I still may order one though for ultralight elk hunts and golden trout trips.

I don't see the need for the 0 degree and less bags...even snowcock hunting in 3 feet of snow my old, cheaper 20+ bag was fine when kept dry and I had a good pair of socks on.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You will really like the slick bag. I have had several. Good call on the compression sack too. They are, in my opinion, quite ingenious and they are very effective at compressing those bags.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 08/03/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I'm sorry everybody; but, these two posts posted back to back made me choke on my coffee.
Originally Posted by WDH
Go ultra light. Share a sleeping bag with your hunting partner.

Originally Posted by pgsalton
Go down.

Anyway, to T_Inman, down insulation is the way to go. I'm sorry if it complicates your quest; but, seriously consider going the quilt route too. I'm glad I did.

I took my family of four to the Armijo Springs gathering outside Quemado, NM last week. We had intermittent rain all three days, which turned out great, because it kept the dust down and moistened the splendid forest enough that the shooting events could proceed without fear of brush fires.

Being a former Boy Scout, I brought a 12x12 Cabelas Extreme Weather Tent with both the pitch kit extra floor and yet another big Harbor Freight tarp (11x19) below that. We were completely dry in there.

Armijo Springs is at roughly 7500 feet altitude. I did not take that into account, as it was cooler than expected. My wife, who had never camped or spent the night in a tent, noted that she was cold in our summer sleeping bags, and I was too. Extra clothing would have helped.

With that heavy tent, I simply figure that some extra blankets or even better, light quilts, would provide the extra warmth needed for camping around here.

Lots of folks into camping are praising the Costco $20 "Double Black Diamond Packable Down Throw" which sells in packs of two. In fact, there are several videos on You Tube reviewing them and showing how to sew them up for various purposes. Now, they are cheap, with thin battens, cheap sewing and duck down, made in China, but each comes with a stuff sack and 400 gauge fabric.

I bought four from Costco.com online, since I could not find them in the Albuquerque stores. For less than 100 bucks including the shipping, I figure this is a cheap way to serve my purpose. Other cheap people evidently feel the same way. grin

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cheap is great for car camping in summertime.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
What is everyone's thoughts?
What is the best sleeping bag (say, down to 20 degrees or less), but but is also light and especially packable.
TIA.

Check the Norsens Camping Backpacking https://goo.gl/bjLMzS what I love is 100%cotton inside and outside 100% water-proof, very light to carry smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After using Enlightened Equipments quilts, I don't think I'll be going back to a traditional sleeping bag anytime soon. My son and I use the convert which can be zipped up into a bag if you want. With an insulated pad of R5 or so it is almost better than sleeping at home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks everyone. I ordered a Kifaru slick +20 and a compression sack. I didn't see any down sleeping bags on their website

Because I'm an idjit and wrote Kifaru when I meant Kuiu.............sorry to confuse......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Marmot Helium 15 down. I own two of them, both around 8 to 10 years old. Not sure it's the "best" bag, but they've sure worked great for me. Light weight, pack down really small and are accurate to the temp rating, at least on a good inflatable insulated pad. The shells have lasted really well over the years, but I don't abuse them and they are usually inside a bivy sack as well. The down has kept its loft, I hang them in the closet in the off season and do not wash them unless I have to, the. I use some sort of tech wash used for down in a large front lid washer, and throw a couple tennis balls in my large dryer. I've probably only washed them a couple of times. They are holding up well. I think I payed $350+ for hem back when I bought them.

God Bless America!
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 on the Montbell bags.... the stretch is fantastic, especially if your a big guy who likes to turn/move ..... and they're light. (watch out for wet down).

I have an older UL SS Downhugger #1 (Long.... I'm 6'1 and 230#) and use it with a thermarest NeoAir Xtherm pad.... Been down to the single digit temps in a tent and didn't get cold.

The stretch was the main reason I bought it... and I have no regrets. I woudn't say the montbells are the most durable bags, but I've always had a tipi or waterproof bivvy to sleep in, so mine has held up.

I would love to try a quilt sometime, just to see.

Cheers,
A

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1moredeer, 1234, 1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.