Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
schoolmarm, Good for you. I'm going in the morning, before the heat comes back. Got a wedding I gotta go to this next weekend. Be awhile, after tomorrow, before I go again.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wish I'd have bought half a dozen of those H&Rs when I could get them for $114 retail.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got out this morning. Sunny, but chilly[43 degrees]. The wind picked up some. Heard several barking. Saw three, but only managed to get a shot at one, but it was a red head.grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great Shooting my friend. I've got to make me one of those skwill hangers like you use..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Wish I'd have bought half a dozen of those H&Rs when I could get them for $114 retail.

Just for the hellofit, I went over on another forum that has a squirrel hunting contest every year. I've been in the contest for 6 yrs. To date, I've shot 177 limb chickens for that contest. 124 of them have been shot with that little Sportster. So far, this season, I've nailed 22 of the lil boogers, and all of them have been shot with the H&R. Love to find another one, I'd put a peep sight on it and hunt some when the leaves are down! grin

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only managed to get 5 of them so far. They appear to be scattered randomly, not several in the same area. Plenty of acorns on the ground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I've only managed to get 5 of them so far. They appear to be scattered randomly, not several in the same area. Plenty of acorns on the ground.

Your doing better than me.... I got 2 so far this year. Both of them with my truck. I tried to dodge both of them, but it didn't happen. Our season opens this coming Sat., but it's awfully dry. Gonna be tough slipping thru the woods.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flintlocks are challenging and fun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ron, great pics! Keep posting them. Years ago I hunted them a couple of seasons with a .32 cal Dixie Tenn. Mtn. rifle, in a flint lock. That was cool! grin

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
As I walked out to the pick up yesterday morning for the season opener, I wondered if that full moon was gonna have the squirrels sleeping in 'til mid morning. Wasn't the case as I heard the first shot of the season at exactly 30 min. before sunrise. Counted 21 shots to the east and south of me.( a mile or more away) Heard not a singe shot fired after 8:30AM.

My own hunt wasn't much. Saw two , got one. Left the woods at 9:30 as the 'skeeters were starting to get bad.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sat. morning was our opening day for squirrels. My BIL invited one of our good friends and myself over for breakfast. Said we would have 'home cooked sausage and biscuits'. Sounded great! Got there and it was Jimmy Dean mini-biscuit w/sausage, cooked in microwave. I complained but got the 'eat it or leave it' speech.... I ate it.

We took to the woods and had good luck. All three of us were shooting .22's and we came out with 23, 1 shy of the limit for 3 people. All cat squirrels.

(I haven't got this new pic posting thing figured out... sorry.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of pics of the last squirrels killed; Kimber Hunter 22, Weaver RV9
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice going Phillip. My son came up yesterday for a hunt. Probably our last one til Nov., because of his work commitments. Even though it was extremely cloudy, we saw/heard several. He nailed two. I saw three and nailed two with the Sportster.

[Linked Image]

Foggy this am, but a buddy and I are gonna hit a lick this morning.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Went this morning and managed to nail one. Heard several barking, but only saw two, but managed to nail one. It was an old male. I think he was drawing social security. grin

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Nice mess there Randy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2nd Sat of our squirrel season and it is hot and dry. 65 this morning before daylight. By the time I walked in to where I wanted to hunt, I was soaking wet. Had to sit down and cool off before I started hunting.

Anyway, my BIL, same friend as last week, and myself, all had a good morning. Each of us got the limit, so a total of 24. All shooting .22 and all cat squirrels.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Dang, MD. You've had a pretty good season already.

And it looks like most of the usual suspects have been doing their parts.

I'm finally on the board this morning. Three little fryers were gallivanting around until they had the courtesy to notice me and hold still. I promptly missed the first one at about 8 feet, but after some more scampering around, they concluded I was no danger to them and I managed to shoot two of them.

[Linked Image]

Leaves are still up and while there were a bunch running around, it was tricky getting eyes on them. By noon, I had another old stew squirrel gathered by the tried and true sneak-up-on-the-loud-ones method. Finished 3 for 5 shots.

Last edited by Ella; 10/14/17. Reason: making sense
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Giterdun Ella! Stay after um. Gonna hit it a couple days, next week, when it cools off.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The rain has stopped long enough such that I was finally able to take my new favorite tree squirrel rifle afield. It is an Anschutz 1502 with a Weaver V16 installed. Since I suddenly find myself with 5K rounds of Hornady 17HM2, I zeroed it with that ammo, rather than with the old Eley and Remington that I still have on the shelf. As you'd expect with an Anschutz, it has a great trigger and is only limited my the ammo its being fed and the guy who is squeezing the trigger.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Beautiful morning, so I decided to go hunting. It was a little breezy, but still very nice. You had to see them, cause you couldn't hear em. First one, turned out to be an old female. It was a long shot. 1 shot and she dropped. I stepped it off, and it was 55 yds. That's a long shot for this ole geezer! grin when she hit the ground, she had an acorn in her mouth. The last supper, so to speak...whistle grin

[Linked Image]

Head shot another one, when I stopped for a breakfast bar break 1 shot, DRT.

[Linked Image]

See how the weather[wind] is, may go a couple more times this week.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.