Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Dang, you don't see that on here every day, good on ya red.

Originally Posted by Brad
I'll take a guy that can make a mistake, but apologize for it, everyday over a guy that "never makes a mistake", and can never apologize. Well done!

Ditto

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mathman
If the quartering away angle was really steep, who has opted to bust the hip/pelvis to break them down rather than count on a whole lot of straight line penetration which may well not occur given a correspondingly steep angle of incidence for the bullet's impact?

That is exactly what I would, and have done. Between hunting, depredation, and ballistic testing- bullets sometimes do odd things. If I can't see the chest cavity, and I am going to shoot anyways, then center of the tailbone/hip is the first shot. Yes, it requires a follow up shot and the potential is there for the animal to crawl on the front legs, however in a few dozen animals shot that way I have never seen one not go down and allow an immeadiate follow up.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by redfoxx
Originally Posted by huntsman22
every thing has to be bigger in texas.......

Like my Johnson... and thanks for noticing. Still doesn't make a 6.5 Creedmore an appropriate round to hunt elk with. You internet fan boys have been watching too much Outdoor Channel. But keep up the like think... our Country really needs more of that. The guy that disagrees with the in crowd gets demonized. Is this CNN? You'll be talking about the latest and greatest fad round next Fall right before hunting season opens. So predictable... I'll keep killing elk while you are looking for the wounded one that you hit with your "creed". Sounds cool... like Apollo Creed. Maybe thats why it's so popular, because it has such a cool kid name? Damn I hate not being in the in crowd. Now, go look in the mirror, and be disappointed in what you see.

Funniest thing I have read today. Lmao

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yeah... about that. Please forgive my poor sense of humor. I was starting my period that day.

God Bless America!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by redfoxx
Yeah... about that. Please forgive my poor sense of humor. I was starting my period that day.

I LOL'd

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[quote=WAM] I prefer to bring more than just adequate to the hunt, especially for a 5 day 4th season hunt. That way, no regrets later.

+1

As long as the hunter can handle that round with proficiency,,,

DF

You are 100% correct! I can certainly handle the .300 Wby and would sell it the day after I could no longer feel confident that I can handle it well!

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by USAFHUNTER
Lots of great input but also a lot of assumptions that I would be hunting long range. lol Don't believe I once mentioned long range in my question.

In that case, you are using the wrong bullet. That ELD is not your ideal non-long-range elk bullet. But the cartridge is fine. Try an Accubond, Partition, or TTSX.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
140grn accubond at 2848fps muzzle, impact at 100yds into milk jugs filled with water, 18+ inches penetration into 4th milk jug
which caught it....ended at 85grn..........should do just fine!

Attached Images
IMG_20170409_224718.jpg (23.75 KB, 149 downloads)
IMG_20170409_224846.jpg (37.3 KB, 129 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What 26 cal bullet would you recommend for elk if your rifle has a 1:9" twist?

I'm not an elk hunter unfortunately but I'm surprised no one uses a Barnes X style bullet (like a 120g TTSX or similar). What is the downside of using an X bullet? I can stabilize the 120g X bullet with a 1:9" twist. What other options are there? I can stabilize most 130g bulllets.

HogWild
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My 8 twist shoots the 147 ELD very well. From what I'd read and heard, that one has very good terminal ballistics.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HogWild
I'm surprised no one uses a Barnes X style bullet (like a 120g TTSX ). What is the downside of using an X bullet?

I do. None to 500 yds.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HogWild
What 26 cal bullet would you recommend for elk if your rifle has a 1:9" twist?

I'm not an elk hunter unfortunately but I'm surprised no one uses a Barnes X style bullet (like a 120g TTSX or similar). What is the downside of using an X bullet? I can stabilize the 120g X bullet with a 1:9" twist. What other options are there? I can stabilize most 130g bulllets.

I'd try a Speer 140-grain Hot Cor or a Hornady SP Interlock (also 140) if you're talking about shooting from a cartridge like the Creedmoor, 260, Swede, etc. Those cartridges don't push 140s fast enough to worry about whether or not the bullet will hold together. Those bullets will expand to greater frontal area than a solid or mono-metal bullet at Creedmoor speeds. They're both flat-base spitzers, too, so a 9-twist is probably enough. I didn't check JBM's stability calculator to verify; run it through there if you like.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If I get the chance to shoot one in late October I will be using a 260 with 140vld. I don't feel under gunned or under bullet with this setup. Of course I have limited myself to 400 yards as a personal limit. My rifle is a 1-8 twist though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WAM
You fellas can hunt with whatever lets you sleep at night, but in my opinion there is no better elk load than a Barnes TTSX launched from a fast 7mm or .300 magnum. I don't use .257's or 6.5s for elk and never will. I'm a huge fan of the .257 Roberts and .250-3000 Savage, just not for elk sized beasts. One of two possibilities is likely; cripple and lose an animal and hate yourself for a long while or get lucky and put one in the dirt and join those who pride themselves on using the smallest caliber possible to kill the largest critters. Happy Trails
......................................In agreement with WAM on this subject. Although I have never owned a 6.5 Creed and if I did would not use it for elk, the 6.5 CM nevertheless will kill elk. But the Creed would not be amongst my top choices. For my ten elk, I used a 300 Win on nine and a 300 WSM on one.

On the next elk trip, my newly ordered 28 Nosler will get the call.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
[quote=WAM]......................................In agreement with WAM on this subject. Although I have never owned a 6.5 Creed and if I did would not use it for elk, the 6.5 CM nevertheless will kill elk. But the Creed would not be amongst my top choices. For my ten elk, I used a 300 Win on nine and a 300 WSM on one.

I don't believe that.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rosco1
[quote=WAM]......................................In agreement with WAM on this subject. Although I have never owned a 6.5 Creed and if I did would not use it for elk, the 6.5 CM nevertheless will kill elk. But the Creed would not be amongst my top choices. For my ten elk, I used a 300 Win on nine and a 300 WSM on one.

I don't believe that.
.....................Believe it or don't? I really do not care Bosco1........................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't happen to have a picture of any of those ten elk you can post do you? How many of the elk stayed dead after they died?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
You don't happen to have a picture of any of those ten elk you can post do you? How many of the elk stayed dead after they died?
.................Well... Well.... Well....If it isn't my 'ol buddy 406 SBC..........Yep! I happen to have plenty of pics taken over many years by 35mm cameras of those ten elk, some deer and a number of hogs. All in several nicely leather bound photo albums.

Now I suppose I could take all or some of those pics and have them digitally converted enabling me to post them in such a way that would please you in order for you to finally like me. Interestingly, you ask me to post pics in your first question. But yet your second question above truly reveals your boyish and sarcastic im-maturity.

Obviously, you and a few others on here continue to think and will always think, that beyond any doubt I faked my own death on this forum some six or seven years ago. Nothing I can do to convince you or they otherwise. Hence, the reason why the sarcasm in your above second question and in that regard as well, that subject will always be a source of good entertainment for you and a few others as you and they follow me around on this forum.

Therefore I should appease and capitulate to what you and they want? Don't think so.

Tell ya what SBC. If you ever happen to get down here to So Cal you PM me there 'ol buddy. Then you shall see the pics you seek. And then we shall also see if there be any further digs and extra sarcastic comments that come forth from your mouth ( just like on this forum) when face to face with me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
.................Well... Well.... Well....If it isn't my 'ol buddy 406 SBC..........Yep! I happen to have plenty of pics taken over many years by 35mm cameras of those ten elk, some deer and a number of hogs. All in several nicely leather bound photo albums.

Now I suppose I could take all or some of those pics and have them digitally converted enabling me to post them in such a way that would please you in order for you to finally like me. Interestingly, you ask me to post pics in your first question. But yet your second question above truly reveals your boyish and sarcastic im-maturity.

Obviously, you and a few others on here continue to think and will always think, that beyond any doubt I faked my own death on this forum some six or seven years ago. Nothing I can do to convince you or they otherwise. Hence, the reason why the sarcasm in your above second question and in that regard as well, that subject will always be a source of good entertainment for you and a few others as you and they follow me around on this forum.

Therefore I should appease and capitulate to what you and they want? Don't think so.

Tell ya what SBC. If you ever happen to get down here to So Cal you PM me there 'ol buddy. Then you shall see the pics you seek. And then we shall also see if there be any further digs and extra sarcastic comments that come forth from your mouth ( just like on this forum) when face to face with me.

Watch out 406 SBC, he's in phenomenal shape and has multiple black belts in internet BS. Face to face he'll scare you so bad you'll pee yourself! At least that so how it'll go in his head.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=406_SBC]

You literally started a thread claiming to be a relative and saying that you had died.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,486
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.