Hop To
Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by smokepole

I know that Jeff's politics get under a lot of people's skin here and he catches a lot of crap for that. But that's just the internet. If he was your neighbor or some guy you met in a bar most would just laugh and shrug off the politics, not go full retard.

And I do get a kick out of the nitwits on the freak show ("Hunter's" Campfire). Talk about living rent-free in someone's head.

Seems we might agree about Jeff. I don't understand why any thinking person would be on the political left.

As far as living rent free in your brain, yup, you can't seem to get me out of it. Your problem, not mine.

Ugh. Another factual correction. I'm not on the political Left. Nor am I on the political Right. YOU try taking a centrist position on issues up on the loony forum and see how you get branded. I'm contesting that branding. They don't get to define me. They lie.

Can we not talk politics on the General Hunting forum, please? I'm done; if you guys want to spin out in that direction I'll just unsub from the thread and you guys can have at it.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JeffO,
Did you read my post regarding "B" tags in Wyoming?

If all you want is a hunt and the challenge of success why use a premier trophy unit that takes years for people to draw?

As far as trophy mounts and stroking ego's I am sure that is true for many? Not me. I truly enjoy looking at my trophy antelope everyday.
It bring back memories of the hunt and the challenge and good times, and it is beautiful!

I believe a quality mounts preserves more of the animal and shows respect for the animal, we may have to agree to disagree on that?

As far as your challenge , reminds me of a few months back when you said you accomplished "super human things" the last couple of years?
I wanted to compare accomplishments, because I also accomplished a lot, never considered myself super human nor bragged as such, never heard back from you on that challenge?

I would like to congratulate you on your successful hunt and a fine trophy though.

And you are a fine cheerleader for the deep state, congratulations, be prepared to be on the wrong side of history though, and yes you will be judged.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Saw some cool rifles up there. I think having so many years to obsess over it leads to that. My favorite was a full custom 6.5 CM in a McMillan, about the same profile as my Bartlein #3 but with a Lilja, custom Remington-pattern action, forget which one, and a big Nightforce SHV. He liked my build (the fauX) a lot too; we could've traded and both been happy.

Nice rifles are, well, nice. But not necessarily necessary.

My tang-safety Ruger in .257 Roberts has been getting the job done for years and years. Not much special about it except it shoots great. Most special thing about it is the Leupold 3.5-10xAO Vari-X III mounted on top. Bought the rifle and scope separately, both used. A couple years ago I had Leupold install their Varmint hunter (or whatever they call it) reticle and vertical knob, so I now have quite a bit more in the scope (about $500) than I do in the rifle.

Last year I used my $295 used Savage FXP3 (synthetic stock/blue) and a 95g SST. Homely/ugly with a pretty plain scope (Burris FF-II 3-9x Ballistic Plex). But, dang – that thing can shoot! Same scope is on my All Weather Ruger Hawkeye in .280 Rem, which is what I used two years ago. Nothing special about that rifle either except it is also a very good shooter.

Don’t know which of the three I’ll take this year, but I’ll probably be obsessing on that until right before we go. Hell, obsessing is half the fun – and that fun often lasts a lot longer than the hunt itself. Congrats on your rifle, though – it sounds really nice.

Also saw (and heard) the usual rifle stupidity. Guys taking "500 yard!" shots... with no rangefinder. Rifles with wack-ass scopes on them mounted all weird. Etc.

Some guys are totally clueless. Right after the Ruger Scouts came out we met a guy in WY that claimed he had just taken his antelope with a’ 400-yard shot’ using his 5.56 Ruger Scout. When I asked about the hold-over he said he aimed ‘right at it’. This was before the Scouts with the ‘long’ 18” barrel were available, so it had to be the 16.1” version. When I asked what ammo he was using he got completely flustered - he had no idea about that, either.

If my .308 Scout shot that flat I could get rid of all my other rifles.

Congrats on your buck.

Thanks CH!

Yeah, rifle loonyism is pretty funny sometimes. I'm screwed in that I now have the equipment and skills to do my own work, so I'm in danger of really spinning off into the ether with this stuff <grin>.

I actually would never have traded him. His McStock was nice but my Manners SL is slap-yo-momma awesome. The 6.5 CM is cool (I'm guessing) but the 6.5 SAUM is better yet at least in rifles with a little heft to them like these both had. Etc. BTW- all I did was clone the GAP Extreme Hunter, so all credit goes to GAP for the superb recipe.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar
JeffO,

If all you want is a hunt and the challenge of success why use a premier trophy unit that takes years for people to draw?

As far as trophy mounts and stroking ego's I am sure that is true for many? Not me. I truly enjoy looking at my trophy antelope everyday.
It bring back memories of the hunt and the challenge and good times, and it is beautiful!

I believe a quality mounts preserves more of the animal and shows respect for the animal, we may have to agree to disagree on that?

As far as your challenge , reminds me of a few months back when you said you accomplished "super human things" the last couple of years?
I wanted to compare accomplishments, because I also accomplished a lot, never considered myself super human nor bragged as such, never heard back from you on that challenge?

I would like to congratulate you on your successful hunt and a fine trophy though.

And you are a fine cheerleader for the deep state, congratulations, be prepared to be on the wrong side of history though, and yes you will be judged.

The superhuman thing was tongue in cheek, as is much of what I type, though that gets lost around here. That said? What I've done in the last ~ 5 years, in sum total, wouldn't be matched by many guys in my age range. Just a statement of fact. If you'd like to talk more about that I'll go into detail in PM's. I'm not getting into a public dick waving contest here.

I accept you congrats and please allow me to sincerely thank you. And I'm genuinely surprised to hear him described as a quality buck in that sense. Guess even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn! grin

We'll see about the latter and who judges whom. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Cutting up the 'lope... think I mentioned the crew from Tillamook who insisted I put the meat in their chest freezer then ran their generator all night to mostly freeze the meat? Big shoutout to those guys. Zero bone-sour odor in the hams. Thanks guys!!!!!!!!

The meat appears quite tender. Yum. Can't wait to fire up the grill.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by irfubar
JeffO,

The superhuman thing was tongue in cheek, as is much of what I type, though that gets lost around here. That said? What I've done in the last ~ 5 years, in sum total, wouldn't be matched by many guys in my age range. Just a statement of fact. If you'd like to talk more about that I'll go into detail in PM's. I'm not getting into a public dick waving contest here.

I accept you congrats and please allow me to sincerely thank you. And I'm genuinely surprised to hear him described as a quality buck in that sense. Guess even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn! grin

We'll see about the latter and who judges whom. wink

LMFAO.

"Kudos" to you. And all the other homos on disability that want to try and blend in.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

As far as living rent free in your brain, yup, you can't seem to get me out of it. Your problem, not mine.

If that was addressed to me, WTF are you talking about.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Smokepole,
Don't worry about it, Coyote Hunter is dead, kilt by a charging antelope, must be an impostor posing as him? smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He's not dead. It just seems that way.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

That's a nice buck!

TOM is mistaken about pronghorn meat. It does NOT need aging like deer and elk. Aging breaks down collagen in muscle tissue, through natural enzyme action, but antelope have very little collagen in their meat, even older bucks. The U. of Wyoming's meat-science department with pronghorn meat, called a "shear test," using a sharp blade connected to a pressure gauge. They found that even mature buck antelope have meat as tender as 6-month-old lamb. The only real trick is the get it cooled pretty quickly (it sounds like you did) but it's ready for butchering within 24 hours.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Very interesting. As I was taking apart the quarters today I was reflecting on how similar they are to a deer,really, or even a PERSON if you think in terms of the basic construction of the mammal. Wonder why less collagen. Helps the muscles move quickly? Less chance of tearing? You'd be screwed if you pulled a hammie at 60 mph... grin...

It's butchered! Very mild-smelling meat. That was illustrated when I ground up a couple shoulder roasts from 2015's mulie while I had the grinder out... the deer venison had a noticeably musky smell compared to the antelope.

Wyoming, here I come! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Incredible really

Last edited by rosco1; 08/19/17.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rosco1
This place is something else. 15 years to shoot a piss head, totally [bleep] clueless on how to care for it, but we're told by other clueless [bleep] "it's a nice one".

I know I'm an [bleep], but this place is truly full of Window lickers

Well, I'll grant that you are a [bleep]. grin

It's a piss head?

I was clueless how to care for it? You mean the "trophy", or the meat, or what?

Just a humble rook trying to tap your vast wisdom here.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And I do get a kick out of the nitwits on the freak show ("Hunter's" Campfire). Talk about living rent-free in someone's head.

f that was not addressed to me, my apologies.

We've had some significant disagreements but I suspect we agree on more than we disagree. As to living rent free in someone's head, I know I do that to more than one person on this forum, especially some that can't defend their position without resorting to intentionally distorting the facts (aka 'lying'), name-calling and so on. For some, a rational and fact-based discussion is beyond their ability.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rosco1
This place is something else. 15 years to shoot a piss head, totally [bleep] clueless on how to care for it, but we're told by other clueless [bleep] "it's a nice one".

I know I'm an [bleep], but this place is truly full of Window lickers

Yep, I'm one of the guilty ones, I called it a nice one. Just to congratulate him on a successful hunt more than anything else, I'm no B&C judge nor do I purport to be.

But I see your point, that kind of crap has no place here, much better to just berate him for stuff like going fishing during a hunting trip, and not taking proper care of a piss head.

Jeff O, you're a clueless F*ck. There, now I feel better.

Edited to add for Jeff O, you do know you bring this onto yourself, right? Some are willing to cut you a break but lots aren't and I can see it from their perspective. Regardless of your own opinions, talking about stuff like "trading weed" in camp and creating an epic 30-page thread on a brief pronghorn hunt is not casting you or hunters in general in the best light. "Just my opinion."

Last edited by smokepole; 08/19/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just was given a bunch of salmon and traded weed samples with some guys. Hey, that's how we roll here in Oregon, don't like it, don't read it.

I used to think the generous portions of animosity pointed your way were oftentimes undeserved.
But you truly are a clueless twit and earn everything you get in spades.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice Antelope Jeff and congrats. Interesting story on how he came to his end. Personally, I have come to leave those caps off. I have them, but unless I think I'm going to need them they stay off.

Have to agree with Smoke on the bring it on yourself comment. I try to like you and do, but you make it difficult. You want to smoke Dope, your choice, but hunting, shooting and THC are not compatable endeavors. You quote your oxygen benefit. I'll have you another to think about: Half-life.

"What is the half life of THC?

The half life of a drug is the amount of time it takes for measured amounts in the bloodstream or urine to decrease by half. The half life for THC is long, because THC is stored in the body’s fat cells (THC is highly lipid and not easily dissolved in water). Therefore, the blood plasma and urinary half-life of THC are best estimated at 3 – 4 days after ingestion. But depending on the quantity of THC ingested and frequency of use, half life may even extend to 10-12 days after ingestion.

THC levels and habitual use

People who smoke once per week will increase the level of THC in their bodies over time because THC has never been fully eliminated. For these people, the baseline THC levels rise based on metabolism and fat content in the body. Furthermore, people who smoke or eat marijuana 3-5 times a week, have both higher baseline levels of THC in their systems and longer half lives of THC. In other words, regular users of marijuana are continually drug effected. So regular users of marijuana must realize that THC is generally more detectable in their systems than in the bodies of periodic/episodic users of marijuana.

You are a big boy. In your life there is a time to smoke dope and there should also be a time to not. When it comes to firearms, that's how it rolls everywhere.

Again, congrates.

Addition: There was a time, I thought I didn't have a problem with alcohol. I thought I was pretty normal. It wasn't until I quit, that I discovered the truth. FWIW....

Last edited by battue; 08/19/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to be a lot of controversy over the trophy quality of JeffO's goat?

My take by judging from the pic is it would be an excellent trophy for say N.E. Wyoming.

But it came from an area that is known for large bucks, so it's probably a fair trophy for that region?

But as many believe a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. It is clear from Jeff's post he doesn't know what a trophy antelope is?

After all, the difference between an excellent trophy and a fair trophy is but a few inches.

This is one of the reasons I believe he should have got a tag for a doe or maybe even a buck in someplace like Wyoming.

He could have got some antelope experience under his belt. Maybe learned some antelope trophy judging skills?

Instead he burns 15 yrs of points and hasn't a clue about antelope hunting or trophy judging.

The dope smoking, guitar playin, partying in camp and fishing seemed to indicate he was not being serious about the hunt?

Jeff claims he was dead serious, only Jeff knows the answer to that.

Regardless it was Jeff's hunt to do as he pleases, but he decided to share it here, therefore we are entitled to comment.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The only time the trophy quality of an animal normally comes into the conversation is when it is exceptional. Jeff shot a nice Buck, nice enough for Mule Deer to say the same. Which should be enough in that he has probably seen more than a few. Not big trophy quality, but nice. Few but Jeff would get anything but congrats over a nice representative animal.

Most of us disagree with him on some important issues. However, using them to degrade a nice animal taken fairly is a cheap shot.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This is one of the better threads this year.....

If you like Dipschittedness, Dumbfuckitude, and Deuchebaggery.....

Jeff..... you should build a sweet Euro-Mount Bong out of the skull.... it would be an awesome reminder of your.... wait, what are we talking about?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 50 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.