Kamo:

Good one there!

1Minute
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You know how much money a guy could make bringing several pallets of R&R? You gotta wash non-traditional food down with non traditional beverages.

A Mosin Nagant in the hands of 20 inebriated natives ain't nothing to laugh at. 😉

Humpy, Chinook, Beluga, Gray.....what's the difference? It's all pink on the inside.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Art, I've heard of whales going up river to die do you think that could've been the case? Do greys (or any whales) regularly go up the Kuskokwim?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Art, I've heard of whales going up river to die do you think that could've been the case? Do greys (or any whales) regularly go up the Kuskokwim?

60 miles is a long way for a whale to go in freshwater.. First whale seen there in anyone's memory. That was part of the problem cutting it up, no one knew how.

I have heard first hand accounts the stench was/is incredible!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yeah if butchering a whale isn't part of ones upbringing I'd imagine that the learning curve could be steep. I wonder how many bears will follow the stench.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not heavy bear country, so not a lot to start...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about wolves and coyotes? Then there are the birds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, you are used to making fish filets, and can you imagine trying to smoke the filets ? wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just dealing with the incredible quantity of food is unreal... and without near enough room in all of the local freezers combined.

A Native coworker was talking about how good fermented walrus is... "...but it gives the whole village really bad gas!"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just dealing with the incredible quantity of food is unreal... and without near enough room in all of the local freezers combined.

A Native coworker was talking about how good fermented walrus is... "...but it gives the whole village really bad gas!"

I'm not a picky eater in the slightest but I draw the line somewhere and Seal flipper or fermented Walrus is where my line is. 😳

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had roast sea lion and went back for seconds, whale is a bit chewy for my taste, not sure if the seal oil I got was rancid or not, but I figure since my dog wouldn't eat it when drizzled over his kibbles that was a sign.

I think I'll pass on the fermented marine mammals.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Fresh, first rendering, Netsik (Ringed Seal) oil is almost clear, thin and has very little fish odor. It is really good for dipping dried Sheefish and dried Caribou meat in.

You can tell right away if any seal oil is first rendering or subsequent as they get darker with each rendering and the amount of heat used. The first rendering happens at room temperature or slightly above.

Dark seal oil is best used in someone else's house. eek sick

As for fermented seal or walrus flipper, too many people want to take the shortcut of putting it in a Ziplock bag to ferment and they get a really nice crop of botulinium growing. Thanks, I'll just have more muktuk,

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Ed! So, would the good stuff be labeled EVSO(Extra Virgin Seal Oil)? smile

Jeff

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff

Jeff

Only if the seal had never had sex... duh!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The seal oil I had was very clear so first rendering. I don't know how it had been cared for after rendering or how old it was. Maybe it was perfectly good and I just don't appreciate seal oil. I'd be up to trying it again especially with some dried fish or caribou.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Jeff

Tupperware and walrus.........

Both like a tight seal.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of methods of preserving meat do not require a freezer. Dried, salted, pickled, smoked, jerked, come to mind. I doubt they could Irradiate the meat, but a sealed beef steak so treated will store for at least 10 years, at room temp. (NO bacteria, no break down).
Only reason for the meat to go bad, would be not enough labor in time.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Jeff

Tupperware and walrus.........

Both like a tight seal.

Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that, would have gone out the nose for sure.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Glad too. Would hate for you to waste a good ale.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately I just started my two week work imposed dry spell, so no ales, lagers, stouts, ambers or pilsners were at risk frown

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.