Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently picked up a nice 99-H take down in 25-35 circa 1913 Serial# 161XXX . I think it's a Featherweight - very light with 20 inch barrel. She's in very nice condition EXCEPT, a prior owner cut down the buttstock and installed a recoil pad. It appears the mods were done a very long time ago. I ordered a replacement stock from Boyd's but it won't fit - too deep in the tang areas.

Anyone have some suggestions on where I might locate a vintage buttstock for my rifle? I realize some fitting will be required.

Thanks, TexasShooter

Last edited by Rick99; 08/02/17.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Your best bet might be having your butt stock duplicated. Other than that jsut start scrounging. Its amazing what turns up with enough time and perseverance.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for your response S99VG. By "duplicated", do you mean find a stock maker that can build it from scratch? Should be someone in the Houston area that does that sort of thing. I'll check around.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No, a duplicator not a stock maker. Perhaps a matter of semantics, I know, but one merely cuts a rough duplication of your stock (or from a pattern) and the other builds you a stock from scratch to finish. Huge difference in cost. Typically a duplicated stock will need fitting to the gun plus final shaping/sanding/finishing- which can be done by oneself, depending on one's skill level.

Contact "ramrod340" here on the fire. He does good duplicating, his prices are reasonable, and he may even have a pattern to use and won't need your stock as a pattern.

By what do you mean the Boyd's stock is too deep in the tang area? Without a better description or pics I'm forced to think perhaps there's nothing wrong with it that a stock man couldn't take care of. Most all aftermarket stocks are left undone so as to allow for custom fitting to individual guns. Those that are advertised as "drop in fit" are usually to be suspected to guarantee frustration to one degree or another.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you gnoahhh. I will contact ramrod340. I did find some duplicators out-of-state but, I am reluctant to send the existing stock away and risk losing it.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to fit the Boyd's stock and probably eliminated any chance of making it fit by relieving here and there with my Dremel tool. At the end of the day, it was way proud in the tang areas, top & bottom, and still not snug against the receiver. I am no craftsman. LOL

BTW, I just realized I listed the wrong chambering in my header. It is 25-35. Doh!!!

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dremel tools in the hands of the public are responsible for more professional's income than anything else.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Dremel tools in the hands of the public are responsible for more professional's income than anything else.

I don't know? I've had a lot of work come my way from Harry and his Home Depot chain saw. Maybe a chainsaw can be considered a big Dremel, Joe.
wink

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dremel tools, chainsaws....what's the difference????????

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I know you asked about vintage stocks but wanted to offer that GUNSTOCKS INC. makes stocks in two different tang length applications. The stocks need final fitting as do the ones from Boyds. I have bought stocks from them in the past and am very pleased with the product.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks shr99. I'll take a look.

Texas shooter

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Walnut Grove is another reliable provider of pre-inlet stocks, in my experience.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want something that's close to fitting, I'd echo the suggestion to find somebody who will duplicate the original - with the recoil pad on it to get a bit of extra length. Then final fit it to the receiver, find yourself a buttplate you want, and have somebody cut the buttstock to fit the buttplate.

Course if you do that, the finish on the buttstock probably won't match the forearm. So get the forearm duplicated also.

But that's just me.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good advice.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. I knew this was the place to go with my questions.

I haven't been on this site in a long time. I started having all kinds of functionality issues - couldn't stay logged in. I used to haunt this forum quite a bit and ended up buying a pretty fair number of vintage Savages, 99s as well as the Super Sporters, etc. Still love them!

Lately, I haven't experienced a lot of problems signing in and staying in. I may drop by more often. The Savage Collectors forum regulars are top notch folks!!

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1) Good to have you back.
2) Adding an ad blocker will work wonders on logging in and staying connected.
3) I changed the 25-20 to 25-35 in the original posting for you.
4) The standard butt plate for your rifle is the thin hard rubber Trade Mark Indian style. Quality plastic reproductions are available from several places.

Last edited by Rick99; 08/02/17.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Rick!!!!

Russell

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasShooter

The difference being, self included, chainsaws are much simpler to handle and do way less damage. wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by TexasShooter

The difference being, self included, chainsaws are much simpler to handle and do way less damage. wink

Ha Ha Ha.... So true!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO a 25-35 H, if bubba hasn't had his hands on it other then the butt pad.. it's well worth a new set of hand fitted walnut stocks

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Working with a guy on exactly that as we speak. :-)

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.