Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Man, I don't know where the yr. went, but 2 wks. from tomorrow is the opening day of our Indiana squirrel season. I washed and treated my camos yesterday. Sharpening knives, got all my .22s sighted in, the usual stuff. Got 3 guys left to call, and I'll have over 20 woods to hunt this fall! grin

Posting pics this fall may be fun. PB has notified me 5 times in the last 6 wks. about my acct., but I haven't opend the emails, and so far I can still post pics, plus they haven't erased any past photos. Time will tell. The small game forum has been awful slow, so I decided to get an early start.... grin

[Linked Image]

Maddog

BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
About that time.. We have some salmon trips planned, when we return, bird season will be up on us.. Tree squirrel hunting isn't worth the time in my area, very few.. May try up north if I get a chance... Great sport.. Hunted them often in W. Va. after I retired.. Loved it.. Shot my last ones with my little Browning .22Hornet.. Best of luck to you!!

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

It's that time of year when I stay away from this thread. We've got six weeks to go. frown

If I started sharpening knives now, I'd have a sliver by the time season opened.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just over two more months here. Forecast don't look good.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I get to do one fun thing, a week from tomorrow. My son bought tickets, and we're going to a Ted Nugent concert in Anderson, IN. on Sat. the 12th! 15 rows back, center stage. Been a few yrs. since I've seen him. Guaranteed I won't be able to hear for a month! grin

One of my favorites! grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 08/05/17.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The season is open here. The temperature dipped into the upper 50's one day last week as we enjoy an unusual cold front for this time of year. Of course I was out of town at a conference. The word is that the squirrels are sample testing hickory nuts right now. My hickory trees behind the house aren't bearing much mast this year. It might be a year where mast production is slim or spotty. The last several years we had so many hickory nuts and acorns it was like walking on marbles in the woods. Squirrel numbers were crazy high. A little early yet, we'll see how it shakes out pretty soon.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ought to kill a few one morning and move a bow stand or two while I am at it. Maybe I won't have so many running around while I am bowhunting.

Pretty good mess of them on our place in Benton county.

I did see a black one here in town the other day, have seen quite a few but never killed one.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
My hickory trees behind the house aren't bearing much mast this year. It might be a year where mast production is slim or spotty.

Same here. I've got four of them within 100 feet of my cabin (along with more than a few oaks) that I use to gauge the mast each year. The Hickory crop isn't looking too good. I can't really tell with the oaks.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like WP47 said, it still about 2 months before our opening, but I'm seeing lots of squirrels on the roads. Haven't been in the woods, yet.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Two months to wait for our season to open. My grandson/hunting partner is anxious to go hunting. We are currently stocking the freezer with walleye, it's been a banner year for walleye fishing on Lake Erie. A few more fishing trips to get a winters supply. It will be Friday nite fish fries twice a month. Going to start taking our Cur to woods and get him treeing few squirrels. Looking forward to following grandkids and a cur chasing squirrels.

IC B3

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, less than a week to go. Two more phone calls and I'll have all my woods lined up for the season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by maddog
Well, less than a week to go. Two more phone calls and I'll have all my woods lined up for the season.

We have a month and a half to go...I hate you. grin

(Hope you have a great season and be sure to post pics)

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, my son is coming up tonite, and tomorrow is opening day. Gonna pack the truck today. Survived going to the Ted Nugent concert with him Sat. night. Had a great time and ole uncle Ted was as politically incorrect as ever! grin Now, on to the limb chickens!!

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, today is opening day for the 2017 squirrel season, here in Indiana. My son made it up for a hunt with the ole man. We hunted til 11 am., before it just got too warm and muggy. Dan ended up with 2, and so did I, for a total of 4 for the day. I shoulda had another, but he made it to a hole too quick. Couple pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If the weather cooperates, I'm going again, tomorrow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrat's it's a good time with family. Your son knows how to pick a squirrel rifle! Spoke with a guy I know who is a squirrel hunting fanatic. This guy on a good year kills over 400 squirrels. He tells me the mast crop is really low this year and so are the squirrel numbers. Said he will have to hunt his butt off to top 100 this year. Going to be tough and spotty hunting in the Ozark's this year.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrat's it's a good time with family. Your son knows how to pick a squirrel rifle! Spoke with a guy I know who is a squirrel hunting fanatic. This guy on a good year kills over 400 squirrels. He tells me the mast crop is really low this year and so are the squirrel numbers. Said he will have to hunt his butt off to top 100 this year. Going to be tough and spotty hunting in the Ozark's this year.

Dont know what part of the Ozark's you live in, but with all the rain yall been getting, I figured there would be a good mast crop. Did you have a late freeze?

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Decided to hit it again this am., by myself. Went back to the same woods, cause the farmer is gonna put cattle in there by the weekend. Got there right after sunup. Hadn't been in the woods 5 mins., and saw one coming down a tree. 1 shot, red head, first of the day. grin Went on, and didn't see any more for almost 2 hrs. Saw one way off in a hickory, and eased over there. Stopped and saw one to the side going up another hickory. Popped him in the head and straight down he came. Looked over at another hickory, and saw one gnawing on a nut. Shot and missed, reloaded shot again. Straight down he came. Then I saw a third one. He eased out on a bare limb, and one shot, straight down he came! grin I'm thinkin' 4 shots, three straight down with my single shot H&R Sportster, not bad.....grin. Then I went looking for them. Found the first and third one I shot, no problem. The second one was a different matter. I looked for over a half hr., and couldn't find the lil booger. frown Any way, it was getting hot, and I had three to clean, so I called it a day. Couple pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by maddog; 08/17/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Dont know what part of the Ozark's you live in, but with all the rain yall been getting, I figured there would be a good mast crop. Did you have a late freeze?

Best I remember we did have a couple late frost. We have had bumper crops of mast (and squirrels) the last three years so I guess it's about time we have a lean year.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Great hunt and photos! I!

Molon Labe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Went again this am. Pretty slow morning, although the weather was decent. Finally saw a couple running around in the top of a tree. I eased in, and took a shot. I hit one, but I missed the head. I got in close, and found his head in the scope. I shot, and he flipped back into a crotch in the tree. Upside down, deader than a hammer.... Shot once more to try and dislodge him, no dice. So I got one, but he's still 35' up in a tree......frown. Here's a pic. If you look REAL close you can see his front legs sticking up in the air.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
249 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.