Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
TC Venture all day long, preferably the Weathershield model. An FFL dealer in PA on Gunbroker has them for $399. American made and a guaranteed 5 shot MOA accuracy. A buddy has 3 (6.5x284, 308 and 338) and they are all one hole rifles (he handloads). I have a 6.5x284 that is a one hole rifle with my buddies handloads (140 Berger or 140 Nosler BT), my 308 is a 3/4'gun.

Last edited by Sako76; 08/04/17.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CDNN has Winchester XPR's with Vias camo stocks for $299 after rebate. They're available in .270, 30-06, 7MM RM, and 300 WM. Never shot one or handled one but it's another inexpensive option.

That said out of everything mentioned I'd go with a Vanguard as I don't care much for plastic parts. A friend of mine had a Vanguard 30-06 from the 70's and aside from the hunting marks it's perfectly functional and in great shape. I have both Vanguards and Howas but prefer the bolt differences on the Vanguard.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CDNN has the Marlin XS-7 in .243 on sale for 239.99. Buy a box of Remington Coreloct 100 grain ammo and it will kill any deer or hog in TX.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/marlin-xs7-243-synthetic.html

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40
There is nothing under $500 that comes close to the Ruger American and I can buy standard models for under $350 OTD. The Predators are $389 OTD. You won't get a better rifle, but if you just want to spend more money the Savage 10/110 series would be next.

I strongly disagree with you statement. I think that the Marlin X guns are superior to the Ruger Americans in stock and magazine design and equally accurate. The powers that be at Freedom Group cut the legs out from under the Marlin X guns, otherwise they would probably be the entry-level market niche leader today.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Zerk
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
Palmetto State Armory has Weatherby Vanguards in stainless 30-06 for $400 shipped and blued for $350

Depends if you want Jap.

Jap, Crap, or Portuguese?

Decisions, decisions.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Only one poster had mentioned the T/C Ventures. They're among the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles I've fooled with, with fine triggers that can be adjusted if for some reason you don't like a very crisp 3-pound pull.

It all depends on what other features you want.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Palmetto State Armory has Weatherby Vanguards in stainless 30-06 for $400 shipped and blued for $350

Depends if you want Jap.

Jap, Crap, or Portuguese?

Decisions, decisions.

I suppose if I had to choose I'd take Portuguese winchester. But given all the American riflrs, I don't think you have to.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would be looking at 7RemMag in the Ruger 77 series, used on GB. Lots available cheaply.

A nice Ruger Hawkeye in 270, used, just sold today for $400 on GB.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Does how make the Weatherby vanguard?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
Does how make the Weatherby vanguard?

They make the action.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Depends if you want Jap.

What is wrong with Japanese rifles other than racial bigotry?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Depends if you want Jap.

Racial bigotry. But I prefer to support people in the country I live, for selfish reasons. Not like you can't find an affordable American gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Remington 783. I work part time in a gun store and we sell Ruger Americans , Savage Axis and Vanguards . A lot of the local ranchers have bought the Remington 783's. Use them all year round to control pigs and coyotes . Once they put on a good scope they are tough rifles.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If they rounded out the corned and trigger Guard I would like the 783. Looks cheap as it is.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd rather hunt with a Wham-o slingshot than anything Remington.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I owned a Rem 710 many years ago. I haven't shot a 783 but I did handle one in a store. It's weight and the way it felt, balanced, and shouldered reminded me of why I got rid of the 710. They may have improved the trigger and internals, but I have no interest in one.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I owned a Rem 710 many years ago. I haven't shot a 783 but I did handle one in a store. It's weight and the way it felt, balanced, and shouldered reminded me of why I got rid of the 710. They may have improved the trigger and internals, but I have no interest in one.

I think that when the decision makers at Freedom Group decided to take the X guns away from Marlin and give that market niche to Remington, Remington would have been ahead of the game if they had just changed everything marked "Marlin" to "Remington" and started a new serial number sequence in lieu of developing the ugly as a mud fence 783.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Depends if you want Jap.

Racial bigotry. But I prefer to support people in the country I live, for selfish reasons. Not like you can't find an affordable American gun.

As do I, so long as they make something that meets my requirements and tastes, which increasingly isn't the case with rifles made here, especially in the "affordable" class. MIMed and plastic action parts, cheap plastic magazines, etc, are unacceptable to me, so I don't buy stuff that have them. Some companies, Remington stands out, have consistently produced guns with serious quality and safety issues, and just don't seem to give a rat's ass about it. Ruger 77s are solid rifles with traditional features, and I've bought a couple recently, but they've edged out of the affordable class, except for internet close-outs. The Marlin X guns are decent, and if my money and opportunity align, I might pick one up, but they apparently fell victim to "not invented here" syndrome at the Freedom Group, who dumped them in favor of the Remmy crap specials. Honestly, I can't think of anything I like currently made here that retails for under $800, so in the affordable range, Howa/Vanguards and maybe Tikkas are what I look at. Haven't really checked out the Ventures, but the TC recalls, DMs and the lack of stainless models make them less attractive, the 5R barrels more so. One of those might happen in a moment of weakness.

Not directed at you, but it's funny how many decry foreign rifles, then slap Chinese or Japanese scopes on their American ones.

What fresh Hell is this?
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Depends if you want Jap.

Not directed at you, but it's funny how many decry foreign rifles, then slap Chinese or Japanese scopes on their American ones.

All my rifles have Leupolds except a Savage that 24 that came with a Nikon. If I keep using it, it will get one. So far just punching paper.

I am not saying Jap rifles are crap. It is just that I work in America, so it benefits me to work in a country that people have money to spend. Also I have dealt with Asain people, pushy culture. I also think the Japanese people have so serious moral flaws. Rape of Nankin. Pearl Habor. China holds human rights violations against Japan, so what does that say?

But in general I try to avoid Chinese products, because I don't want to prop up an enemy of the US. Obviously I can't 100% of the time. But there are more American products made than what lazy people say there is. I will also choose other 3rd world countries over China.

While not an enemy, you can also bring up some of these items with German, after WW1 and 2, and all the Jews they tortured, and they people looked the other way. We do tend too tend to look the other way because they are white. I have German hertigage. But it still crosses my mind

Budget rifles to me are this current crop of $500, Ruger American, Savage 110s, some 700s, and all the others. $800 is not high end, but a step up. Your better 700s and Rugers. I havn't done enough comparing, but I would think you could find a budget American rifle. I also realize sometimes we just want something. I am not saying I toe the line 100%, but I do keep it in sight. I could see Tika/Sako, I got some Finn, and they have not been a problem on the world stage. Plus beat back Russia in the Winter War, were somewhat neutral in WW2 with German, they didn't like the Russians.

But again I believe it is my interest to keep as much money in the US I can, since I live in the US. I am not one of these people who believe it is a global economy. That is for people to lazy to check the level.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ruger American rifle . Lots I don't like about the darn thing .but hot in in z trade and the SOB works too well will embarrass many a rifle 3x the $$
And I have Howa ( vanguard) mark v 's custom 700'd ,sako, Takkis, savages. You get the idea

Last edited by ldholton; 08/04/17.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (222ND, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.