Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Besides the 99 and others, I am a fan of the lowly 340. I've had a .30-30 and a Stevens 322 in .22 Hornet for a while now, both are good shooters.

I picked up one in .222 because I wanted a .222 to shoot cast in as I do in almost everything I shoot. This particular ne has been re-stocked at some point with a very nice Fajen stock. So far, I haven't gotten it to shoot very well with cast, but I still have a lot of things to try.

I was shooting it today, when it dawned on me that this one has no barrel band. When the former owner put the new stock on it, he discarded it, the stock isn't inletted for one. I know without that barrel band, there isn't a whole lot holding it in the stock. It would seem the loss of the barrel band would help accuracy and I'm wondering if there's a safety issue not having it. I'd be more worried if it were a .30-30, and ithasn't been an issue shooting it as it is. Should I be concerned or drive on?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't think I'd worry about it in .222 chambering.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Were it mine, Rich, I would put a band on it. You can always switch back if it doesn't help. If it has a front sling swivel there is a perfect place to put one- use it as the basis for the band screw. I never messed with a 340 in that respect, but I know for a fact that Krags behave better when fitted with a band because they too have marginal anchoring back on the receiver.

I tend to not try to second guess the intentions of the guys who designed these things.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good to hear someone sticking up for the other Savages. The .222 has always caught my attention. As for the safety and functionality of the band, I think gnoahhh said it best. Be sure to report back on your results.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The barrel bands for these are cheap and widely available. I'd have to inlet the stock or find a factory stock. Funny you mention the Krag, I recently picked up a nicely sporterized one with a good after market stock and nice checkering, pacific receiver. I've been having a ball with it and a can of Lyman 311284s I found in my Dad's stuff. What a great rifle, but it never occurred to me it had much in common with the 340.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool old rifles. I have several different caliber rifles in .22, but none of the bullet molds I had worked well in my .222, until I tried the 225462 G/C 55gr. bullet. I push it with 4198. It loves this particular bullet. Wishing you luck. You know how it is with cast......you just play around until you hit the happy spot.

John

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I started casting for .22s when I got the Hornet in an attempt to replace .22 rimfires and because I very quickly and easily accomplished my goal of minute of fox squirrel at realistic small game range, I quit experimenting. I worked with the Lyman 225438 and 225415, eventually settling on the NOE 45 grain WFN (I got mine in plain base) in my 219 and the Lee Bator pushed a little faster with 2400 in the 322. It worked out great and I don't hunt with a .22 LR much anymore.

I'd always had an interest in the .222 though, and the longer neck than the .223 seem to make it an obvious choice for cast beyond what the Hornet can do. I have a bunch of 225462s cast up and have been working with them in this rifle. I changed out the scope on it today and I think it'll help, also scrapped the old brass I was using and broke into a stash of once fired stuff. Up to now, I've been using fairly small charges of pistol powders, 7625, Unique, etc. I'd try some 4198, but used up the last little bit I had in the aforementioned Krag. I'll try some 4895 or 5744.

Back to the barrel band issue, I seem to recall now that I think back, reading about guys welding metal to the rear tang on these and threading a hole so a screw replacing the rear trigger guard would be an additional screw holding the action in like a "conventional" bolt action allowing the removal of the band. I haven't had this one out of the stock to look, maybe this one has been done. I'll check tomorrow.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I shoot a lot of cast bullets myself. In fact, I realized that the only jacketed bullets I loaded/shot during the last few years have been through my AR-15 and occasional .22HP (although I shoot 3 or 4 cast bullets out of the HP's for every jacketed bullet). I have a couple rifles that have never had a jacketed bullet ever fired through them, and never will as long as I am their custodian. For me it is extremely gratifying to make groups and kill stuff with bullets I made myself after sussing out how to make them work- not to mention the insane amount of money I have saved over "store bought" jacketed bullets.

Molds are expensive you say? Yes they are, but make 3-400 bullets with it and the cost is amortized. Lead is still cheap and common if you show a little ingenuity.

A couple thousand rounds of full velocity jacketed bullets through a typical barrel and the bore will be starting to show wear, if not entirely done for (depending of course on a lot of factors). That many cast bullets and the same barrel would be just getting started, with tens of thousands of shots left in its future. Something for those of you who shoot our beloved old Savage 1899/99's, 23's, 1920's, 40's, etc. to consider- the last I heard Savage isn't making them anymore.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by richhodg66
It would seem the loss of the barrel band would help accuracy and I'm wondering if there's a safety issue not having it.

The 340 is held in the stock by the barrel band and a screw that goes into the recoil lug. The action is floated, just the opposite of most other rifles. I think putting a barrel band back on it would help accuracy.

Lee

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I'll try to get this one out of the stock today. The former owner did float the barrel, I can see the glass bedding compound the first inch and a half of barrel if I look real close. He did a good job, it's a nice re-stocking.

I did a little work on my .30-30 as you could rock the barreled action in the stock on the recoil lug. deepened that channel a bit and glass bedded a few points. Not sure it really made much difference, but that rifle will surely out shoot most .30-30 lever guns all day long.

I like cast for a lot of the reasons Gary mentioned and, in fact, I doubt I'll shoot many full power loadings through this .222, as I have a .223 bolt gun that will get used for that. Most of the deer I've killed have been with my cast and for the past seven or eight years, all of them have been. Some guns are harder to get good performance from than others, but that's part of the fun.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 223 which I also just had threaded 1/2x28 for a suppressor. Nice little rifle!

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some folks seeking to improve accuracy added a tang to the rear of the action so as to drill and tap for a second receiver screw. Me, I'd just try adding the barrel band.

I have 325 as well as a 322. Love them both. Both are fitted with a WFC #175 receiver sight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have had many 340's, 325's, and 322's over the years. i played with the barrel band , with and with out. always got much better accuracy with. ymmv.

Gary, i to have a rifle that has never had a jacketed bullet down the tube. a low number Springfield. and i have lost track of the game that baby has taken. Cast boolits rule.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 88 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.