Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Hello to you gents north of the border !

Could you guys explain how land ownership in Canada works ? Is there still true wilderness land for sale in northern BC ?

Thanks

Chris

BP-B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I grew up in Northern BC. Yes there are parcels for sale. Anything north of Ft St John could be considered wilderness, but lots of oil and gas exploration there now. If I was looking, I would look in the Dease Lake area. Some good friends just bought a very remote parcel down near Vanderhoof....lots more people there though so I would look around Dease. Although there isn't a lot of remote land for sale here in the Yukon, there is some. Another thing to consider is applying for crown land here. We have several different ways to go about it and a lot of folks get land that way every year.

C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Crown land ?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Look into the tax situation. A good friend of mine owned 100 acres of beach front forested land on Vancouver Island just north of Nanaimo with a couple small, simple cabins. He was paying $1,000 per acre per year ($100,000 a year) in taxes. They sold off 80 acres for a million per acre which lightened their burden substantially. Taxes in Canada are HIGH but it's a beautiful country with great people.

Good luck in your search.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
WOW ! That may kill my dream ! Thanks for the info .

Last edited by Clynn; 08/04/17.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taxes are going to be high anywhere on land worth a million dollars an acre. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Very true . Here in the states the movie stars have moved in and made it unrealistic for the average person to afford living on the edge of what little wilderness remains . Canada has always intrigued me with its vast, remote , and untamed landscape .

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Crown land = Govt owned land. Property taxes are very low in most areas. My sister has 160 acre farm in northern BC she pays $400 a year. I have several remote pieces that range in size from 15 acres to 5 and the taxes on all combine are less than $1000 yearly

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clynn

Up north the taxes should be much less, Nanaimo is a pretty big place and pretty touristy. You might look at a lease with a cabin, I was a part owner of a cabin on leased land on the Dease River and taxes were next to nothing. Honestly I would like to look at buying my part back since I know the guy very well.

Do some searches for land for sale, cabins for sale, traplines for sale, ranches for sale in places like Dease Lake, Iskut, Atlin, Bob Quinn Lake, Telegraph Creek, Fort Nelson and you will find some interesting properties Stewart is pretty remote and on the border of Alaska near a town called Hyder, Meziadin Lake to the east of Stewart is a possibility. Google all of those places and see if there are some locations that appeal to you more than others and go from there.

Gerry.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I know nothing about BC land. Taxes are high in Ontario, but maintenance on a dwelling may cost more, and on top of taxes.

If you want to spend your time with sport, you may be ahead to use a camp, or just camp with a tent.

The best with whatever you decide on.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
That's more like it ! Yukon Territory could be interesting !

C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks a bunch ! I will look into all those places !

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Clynn, there is something about following a dream.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Yes sir . The older I get the more I realize that .

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Lots of people use kijiji, give that a try.
I live in North East BC, and yes lots and lots of oil and gas exploration going on here.
I would try the Dease area or the Yukon as some have suggested

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks a bunch ! I will look into all those places !

If you have any questions about the spots I mentioned in NW B.C. you can pm me, if I don't answer right away I'll get to it asap. I usually check in on a regular basis.

Gerry.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by gerry35

Up north the taxes should be much less, Nanaimo is a pretty big place and pretty touristy. You might look at a lease with a cabin, I was a part owner of a cabin on leased land on the Dease River and taxes were next to nothing. Honestly I would like to look at buying my part back since I know the guy very well.

Do some searches for land for sale, cabins for sale, traplines for sale, ranches for sale in places like Dease Lake, Iskut, Atlin, Bob Quinn Lake, Telegraph Creek, Fort Nelson and you will find some interesting properties Stewart is pretty remote and on the border of Alaska near a town called Hyder, Meziadin Lake to the east of Stewart is a possibility. Google all of those places and see if there are some locations that appeal to you more than others and go from there.

I know of one parcel on the Dease river for sale right now. PM me for info if your interested....the price is right! Gerry35 you might know the guy......does JR ring a bell??

C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you all again ! I will consider it all .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by gerry35

I know of one parcel on the Dease river for sale right now. PM me for info if your interested....the price is right! Gerry35 you might know the guy......does JR ring a bell??

No, it's a different guy. My friend will keep his cabin until his dying day and them probably pass it on to his son in law. Nice country there, you can get into some nice hunting country and some pretty good fishing in the river.I would love to spend all summer there and into the fall when the moose hunting is good. Wouldn't get bored at all............

Last edited by gerry35; 08/04/17.

Gerry.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A non Canadian resident can't hunt anything without a guide right?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.