Print Thread
Hop To
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Someone asked me to look at this web site and I'm hoping someone here can share some experience, background or association with it. Is it legit, worthwhile, etc.? Thanks.

AlaskaFishingJobs website

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This website looks to be a compilation of many of the Alaska Seafood companies and their websites, which post the jobs they have available. I see no reason why it should't be considered legitimate.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by High_Noon
This website looks to be a compilation of many of the Alaska Seafood companies and their websites, which post the jobs they have available. I see no reason why it should't be considered legitimate.

Thanks for the comment...I guess one would be dealing with each individual prospective employer versus through the website with the clearinghouse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse
Thanks for the comment...I guess one would be dealing with each individual prospective employer versus through the website with the clearinghouse.

Yes indeed, and that would be preferable in my estimation, as a "clearinghouse" would undoubtedly have outdated information. This is a real pain in the arse, but I would advise whoever is looking for such a job, to research the companies that are of interest on that website and try to contact the hiring authority, if that information is available, as HR tends to just lump applications together and weed through them rather quickly. As you are likely aware, if you can find the hiring authority at a particular company, make contact, express interest and are able to highlight your skills, that would be much more effective than simply submitting an application. Good luck.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Sage advice...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems most jobs boards that require a subscription are a scam and just a way to make money for the board, not to help people get gainfully employed.

Most jobs no matter the industry are filled via word of mouth and personal recommendation.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
That would be the conventional wisdom.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know that most of the companies listed are legit. It seems some are missing from the list especially nearby (relatively speaking). Can't tell you a thing from the site itself.

AK SEAFOOD PROCESSORS

Oh..........And about this little horseschitt piece of fluff..................

ABOUT ALASKAFISHINGJOBS.COM
AlaskaFishingJobs.com is the leading source of Alaska Fishing Job information since 1992. We offer employment information and contacts related to searching for seasonal jobs in the lucrative Alaskan commercial fishing industry. Our site helps to connect job seekers and employers on commercial fishing boats, in canneries or floating processors, at sea or on land, in Alaskan fisheries such as: Salmon, king crab, opilio crab, dungeness crab. herring, halibut, black cod, pollock and other groundfish. The types of gear used on fishing boats includes purse seine, driftnet, set net, beach seine, pots, longline and trawl.

It's only lucrative if you already own your own boat, permits and gear (which has to be replaced periodically. Fish nearly year-round if you have the permits and gear, Shanghai family into being crew, offer minimal crew share and do a goodly amount of your own maintenance, work your ass off in miserable and dangerous conditions..................or own a small fleet and Shanghai drunks and ne'er-do-wells to crew the boats for minimal crew share.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I know that most of the companies listed are legit. It seems some are missing from the list especially nearby (relatively speaking). Can't tell you a thing from the site itself.

AK SEAFOOD PROCESSORS

Oh..........And about this little horseschitt piece of fluff..................

ABOUT ALASKAFISHINGJOBS.COM
AlaskaFishingJobs.com is the leading source of Alaska Fishing Job information since 1992. We offer employment information and contacts related to searching for seasonal jobs in the lucrative Alaskan commercial fishing industry. Our site helps to connect job seekers and employers on commercial fishing boats, in canneries or floating processors, at sea or on land, in Alaskan fisheries such as: Salmon, king crab, opilio crab, dungeness crab. herring, halibut, black cod, pollock and other groundfish. The types of gear used on fishing boats includes purse seine, driftnet, set net, beach seine, pots, longline and trawl.

It's only lucrative if you already own your own boat, permits and gear (which has to be replaced periodically. Fish nearly year-round if you have the permits and gear, Shanghai family into being crew, offer minimal crew share and do a goodly amount of your own maintenance, work your ass off in miserable and dangerous conditions..................or own a small fleet and Shanghai drunks and ne'er-do-wells to crew the boats for minimal crew share.

I think you naIled it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will leave this to the people who know..

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.