Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
What's everyone's expectations for this year's elk hunt?

Out of three hunters who put in the for the draw, we got one tag. This is in a unit we've never not gotten a tag in the last five years. The left over draw turned out to be a bust. And last year's hunt was epically awful due to the unprecedented and excessive amount of hunters. We still have some left over muzzle loader and archery options, but none of my hunting partners dig traditional. Might be the year they learn to like it. Trying to keep hopes up, but the excitement level isn't like it has been in years past. The only good news is that if we didn't get tags, maybe other hunters didn't either and the DOW realized they needed to reduce the hunting pressure. Obviously we still have OTC options, but once you go draw only it's hard to go back to an even more crowded OTC season.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm bowhunting this year with a friend from back east and another local friend. Bowhunting can be tough on public land, but my expectations are, we'll have a great time and my friend from back east will marvel at the jaw-dropping scenery and hopefully a few elk. Maybe even some within bow range. He wants a shot at a bull but the first cow that gets within my range will hear my string silencers.

We'll be spending a week in the mountains with no cell phone or email coverage. We'll do a lot of walking in steep country and undoubtedly mutter a few "I'm getting too old for this schits," hopefully coming down the mountain with a backpack full of meat. Offset by the sunsets from the ridgetop and maybe a few cutthroats for the frying pan and a stray bear or two.

And my other expectation is, when I get home I'll want to go right back out and do it again. Never fails.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like it is getting hard to draw tags for elk.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Our tags are OTC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I predict that on the afternoon before I leave for my hunt everyone I work with will bring me all of the problems and issues they have been stockpiling and need them fixed ASAP.

I expect that since I won't have a deer tag this year during my elk hunt I will see a monster buck.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Alamosa
I predict that on the afternoon before I leave for my hunt everyone I work with will bring me all of the problems and issues they have been stockpiling and need them fixed ASAP.

That made me laugh out loud. So true.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Has anyone heard any rumors about conditions and the numbers in Montana? Especially in the Plains to Kalispell area and Thompson Falls area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I predict that I will eat a lot of good food, drink some good tequila and shoot a nice bull the first or second day.

FWIW, I am a lousy prognosticator, but in this case, I am guaranteed to score no worse than two out of three. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Same as every year..... great anticipation and packing, perfect camp, great friends, and a week in the woods with my 5 year old son. It has been theee years since I killed my last elk, if I get one this year even better.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have ML cow tag for a serious hunt. Think I'll just do an OTC bull tag for 2nd rifle and go with a friend just for the heck of it .Don't expect to see an elk, let alone shoot one

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You mean, on the second hunt, right? I'm thinking when you go out with a cow tag during ML season, you're expecting to see at least one that's willing to come home with you....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
You mean, on the second hunt, right? I'm thinking when you go out with a cow tag during ML season, you're expecting to see at least one that's willing to come home with you....

Right.I seem to have knack for finding really stupid ones in ML season because I'm really not that good a hunter.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Great topic!

A friend and I are camping out the first week and a half of November. We have either sex tags for Elk and Deer. I won't apologize for it, but we will be meat hunting mainly. We are just hoping for decent weather!

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Unit 55A, New Mexico...I'm about to die to get out there. Hearing from the ranch that they are receiving a ton of rain, antlers are growing like never before....its gonna be great. I'll be there for opening day of rifle season.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

I'm predicting that since I DO have a buck tag, I won't see a monster buck like we did last year when I did not have a tag.

I also predict that if the weather is hot we'll have to go places we have never hunted before. Hoping for cold and snow for a couple days after we arrive in camp to get the migration going.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

I'm predicting that since I DO have a buck tag, I won't see a monster buck like we did last year when I did not have a tag.

I'm predicting no close encounters with bears. If I wanted to see bears, I wouldn't have bought a bear tag.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Right.I seem to have knack for finding really stupid ones in ML season because I'm really not that good a hunter.

Right. You're not a very good hunter, but get your elk every year on public land, DIY, it must be just dumb luck. There's lots of guys who'd like to be not very good, just lucky like you.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I'm predicting no close encounters with bears. If I wanted to see bears, I wouldn't have bought a bear tag.

Ain't that the truth...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going to be a tough year but will still score.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Good luck to you all! Personally, I'm looking forward to your stories and photos. I will not be able to make it this year. I'm really going to Miss the mountains and he obligatory post hunt fishing! Mebbe next year!

Also always enjoyed hitting one of the Kokanee egg harvests. Pick up a few Kokanee!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 204guy, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,562
Posts18,453,732
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.