Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If the smoke stays this heavy I think I'll be able to hear elk wheeze by November!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
DLallder--------- It be a good Idea to check on the fire situation this year before you leave on your hunt---You may have to adjust. It's starting out to be a bad fire season in NW MT
Good Hunting

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The grandson, my oldest son, and myself all pulled late season cow tags for the month of December in the Craig area - those tags will all be filled unless we have a year like last year with no snow. The wife and I are also sitting on two cow tags for 4th rifle season, also in the Craig area - I'll fill my second tag for sure, and hoping the wife finally gets to tag her elk this year, but with her bad back I'm afraid she'll have to rely on picking a good spot to sit. Knowing where I'll put her, I give her about a 50/50 chance of filling but either way, if we have snow, we'll still have two elk in the freezer and my son will be able to feed himself and his college roommates this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am predicting that opening day I will see more blaze than at a broncos game, that I will see more hunters on horseback than on foot, and that the elk will be smiling from across the fence on private land. The "hunters" on the private land will once again fail to leave their ATV's and trucks so the elk will be above them in the timber by about 200-300 yards. Everyone else will be asking where the elk are...when I know that they are "in the woods."

I will have a front seat view on the antics, and still after all of that--- I will be beyond thankful that I'm not at work.

Likely I will see a few elk trying to escape everyone else. Hopefully they filter my way and I put a freezer filler on the ground. It's usually a matter of time and effort before I find that lucky elk. I won't complain if it happens earlier rather than later.

Sure is nice to wake up late, eat a great breakfast and look at that filled tag.

If all else fails I will guarantee good company, bad jokes, lots of laughter, and a smile crossing my face as I'm in the happiest place I can think of in the fall.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Was trying to remember this morning how long it had been since I elk
hunted. Must be eight years or so. Last time was near steam boat springs colo.
Shot a rag horn 5x5.
I have kinda lost interest in elk hunting. Unless you go with the mobs on public land it's gotten quite expensive.
I have gone on several safaris that cost about the same as a high end guided elk hunt. And I arrowhead several animals.
Nothing wrong at all with elk hunting, beautiful animal, and often beautiful country, I just lost interest.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have cow tags. The IDFG doubled the length of the season in our unit this year from 3 to 6 weeks, clear to the end of Nov. That'll get the elk moving down where we can get at them easier. Normally we'll have snow by Nov 1. They also increased the tags from 150 to 250 so there'll be a lot more hunters but there are a lot of elk to hunt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up tags for an area within 10 minutes of my house, so I plan to spend many, many evenings and weekends out scouting. I'm pumped.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The area I am hunting opens Sept. 1 for archery, with that being the Friday before Labor Day, I am taking that day off work and hope to go back to work the Tuesday after Labor day with a filled tag and some butchering to be done. The area I hunt is an any elk area and I am not a trophy hunter. I am gonna make an effort to arrow a nice Mule Deer buck this year, but I will not make that a priority over the elk tag. Unless one wanders in way to close before any elk show up.....................

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Going to far western Texas for cow elk, a hunt booked through Mulie Mike. Technically not 2017, early January 2018. I'll have my .30-06 shooting 150 gr TTSX's. It's a new location for my every other year cow elk hunt. It takes almost 2 years for the wife and I to eat all of the meat. I've always been successful, so hopefully my luck will hold.

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First 370" bull I see, I'm shooting it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a nice area bull tag with a couple of friends for all of November. Coming off two back surgeries last year and 10 pounds gained. Going to take it slow and easy!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
First 370" bull I see, I'm shooting it.

Me too. I'm a meat hunter, gotta fill the freezer. Hunting on public land, you take what you get.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I expect the Leukotape to stick as well as it did last year.......three weeks from Friday.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have lots of opportunities to hunt this year. I might not bag any animals but I expect that I will have a lot of fun trying.

Sometime in September, I will hunt turkey in the Wet Mountain Valley.

I drew a premium pronghorn tag in Northpark. I used 16 points. So I'll be hunting there during the first week of October.

I didn't get a cow elk tag in the draw so I picked up a leftover cow elk tag and an OTC bull tag. Both are for second season, also in Northpark. Yep, I expect to see some orange there also. I now have 20 points for elk.

I drew a Coues Deer tag in southern Arizona for the season before Thanksgiving. I've done this backpack hunt several times before and enjoyed it every time.

I drew a late plains doe deer tag as my second choice. I know a landowner there and I know where some public land is located. I now have one point for deer.

I didn't draw a mountain goat tag. I now have 3+15 points.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I expect to stick an arrow through this guy in 22 more days!
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drew a cow tag, my only other tag was 2008.
I have never seen an elk in the region.

I know a number of ranchers and I am willing to pay whatever they want, if they have elk.

I bought a camper a year ago. I have not slept in it yet. I am going to the eclipse in Oregon next month. I will practice sleeping there.

I think there is going to be a lot of sleeping in the camper to get an elk.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I bought a camper a year ago. I have not slept in it yet. I am going to the eclipse in Oregon next month. I will practice sleeping there..

I'm gearing up too. I've been practicing my sleeping every evening.

I find the sleeping to be very easy, but the getting up can be a bitch.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
No elk tag or hunting for me this year...😢But! I will be trying out moose hunting for the first time and have plenty of time to hunt deer in PA and WV- I'm planning and hoping that this is my best hunting year, yet!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.