24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have a chance to buy one, the guy is supposed to be dropping it off this weekend so I can shoot it. I have found some info by doing an internet search. Does anyone have any info to share from previous use of one. The best I can tell from what I have read is that they are fairly accurate, but trigger needs quite a bit of work. I read somewhere that they use the same magazine as a Kimber 82. Thanks much.

CK
BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think it is the direct ancestor of the Kimbers. Supposed to be a great rifle. I have never seen one in person, but have read about them several times. If the price is right, grab it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Winchester 320, #D177xx, and think that it is a pretty good rifle. For some reason, they seem to have developed something of a cult-like following. I would grade mine out in the mid-90% range and I paid $333 for it earlier this year. Don't lose the magazine, as they are expensive to replace and show up infrequently on eBay and GB for over $100.

There is a nice looking 320 on GB for $400 with a 3/4" Redfield 4x that seems like a pretty fair price for the package you're getting.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have several 5 rd mags for my Kimber 82, this is why I was hoping they were interchangeable. The crappy phone pics looked like it had potential, but we will see in person.

CK
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have owned a few 320s. Decent gun, but certaily no better than the average walnut stocked Marlin or Rem boltgun of the era. Certainly no better of a rifle than a m69 Winny.

The reason why they are collectable is first they say "Winchester" on the barrel ..;)
Second they were only made for a few years.

As far as the Winchester 320 being a " direct decendant" of the Kimber m82 ? In terms of design, thats not really true. The m320 barrelled action WAS made in Australia for Winchester by SPORTCO which was managed by Jack Warne , who about ten years later emmigrated to the USA with his son Greg and founded Kimber of Oregon.

The little M320 s a very different gun than the Kimber m82 ( think Winchester m69 vs M 52) Really the only parts they share are the magazine and mag/well catch- which are the origional SPORTCO tooling.

Everything else about the Kimber m82 design is heavier,larger and different .

The biggest issue I have with the m320 is the difficulty of finding spare magazines. I once got a Winchester m320 for $75 in a Pawn Shop simply because it had no magazine and the shop. owner had no idea where to buy a replacement. I had an orphan Kimber m82 magazine at home..so that 320 went home with me that day smile

I surely would NOT pay more for a Winchester m320 than a m69 sporter in the same condition.

Last edited by jk16; 08/04/17.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jk16
I have owned a few 320s. Decent gun, but certaily no better than the average walnut stocked Marlin or Rem boltgun of the era. Certainly no better of a rifle than a m69 Winny.

The reason why they are collectable is first they say "Winchester" on the barrel ..;)
Second they were only made for a few years.

As far as the Winchester 320 being a " direct decendant" of the Kimber m82 ? In terms of design, thats not really true. The m320 barrelled action WAS made in Australia for Winchester by SPORTCO which was managed by Jack Warne , who about ten years later emmigrated to the USA with his son Greg and founded Kimber of Oregon.

The little M320 s a very different gun than the Kimber m82 ( think Winchester m69 vs M 52) Really the only parts they share are the magazine and mag/well catch- which are the origional SPORTCO tooling.

Everything else about the Kimber m82 design is heavier,larger and different .

The biggest issue I have with the m320 is the difficulty of finding spare magazines. I once got a Winchester m320 for $75 in a Pawn Shop simply because it had no magazine and the shop. owner had no idea where to buy a replacement. I had an orphan Kimber m82 magazine at home..so that 320 went home with me that day smile

I surely would NOT pay more for a Winchester m320 than a m69 sporter in the same condition.

I disagree, again.

The 320 and 310 triggers are better and the actions lock tighter than the average Marlin of the era, but not as good as the Remington 541/580/581/582 series. I would rather have a 320/310 than a 69, as they are physically larger, more "man size", and the triggers are better. I wouldn't think twice about rebarreling a 320 to 17HM2 or a 310 to 17HM2 or 17HMR, but don't feel that the 69 is strong enough for a 17HM2 conversion. I bought the 320 to rebarrel to 17HM2, but have subsequently traded for a Miroku 52 Sporter to use as a donor for that project.

Different folks, different strokes.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pretty bogus statements,260.

Both the 320 and the m69 are single lugged guns with about the same reciever diameter.

The m320 trigger group is nothing fancy certainly no better than a 880 series Marlin.

A model 320 man sized?

You crack me up..

Last edited by jk16; 08/04/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jk16
Pretty bogus statements,260.

Both the 320 and the m69 are single lugged guns with about the same reciever diameter.

The m320 trigger group is nothing fancy certainly no better than a 880 series Marlin.

A model 320 man sized?

You crack me up..

Regarding the triggers, the 880 series Marlins are quite a bit more recent than the 310/320 and you clearly stated "of the era".

We seem to disagree on a lot of things, but that is to be expected from different people with their different perspectives and degrees of experience.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Win 320 mags are actually fairly easy to find, usually around $30. As a Kimber of Oregon collector I have acquired quite a few. They are longer than the regular Kimber mag but they have a black plastic follower that works very well. The rifle itself is a pretty decent piece. The actions were made by Sportco in Australia and imported by Winchester who fitted them with their barrels, stocks and magazines. The trigger is minimally adjustable. I have one because they are a direct ancestor of the KoO 82. Not near the same quality or detail as the 82 and the pressed, inverted checkering is sort of lame, but it shoots pretty well.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sagerat22
Win 320 mags are actually fairly easy to find, usually around $30. As a Kimber of Oregon collector I have acquired quite a few. They are longer than the regular Kimber mag but they have a black plastic follower that works very well. The rifle itself is a pretty decent piece. The actions were made by Sportco in Australia and imported by Winchester who fitted them with their barrels, stocks and magazines. The trigger is minimally adjustable. I have one because they are a direct ancestor of the KoO 82. Not near the same quality or detail as the 82 and the pressed, inverted checkering is sort of lame, but it shoots pretty well.

Where are you are located that Winchester 320 magazines are actually fairly easy to find, usually around $30?

I would like to have a couple of extra magazines, but don't see them advertised anywhere for prices anywhere near $30.

Please direct me to your sources or sell me a couple of your spares.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A 95% 320 is in my squirrel rifle rotation. 36g HP Mini Mags are about as accurate as anything out of it. Shoots good enough to be treated to a new 3-9x33 Leupold scope.
Passed on a 99% 320 missing the bolt and mag for $120 at a show last year.
Passed on a 50% 310 for $150 at a local shop earlier this year. I would like to get a 310 but this one was very rough.

I bought one five and one ten round mag at shows for $40 each.

Funny... there is a listing for two 320 "bolt carriers" listed on ebay right now. shocked I don't think I'm interested.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kenoh2
A 95% 320 is in my squirrel rifle rotation. 36g HP Mini Mags are about as accurate as anything out of it. Shoots good enough to be treated to a new 3-9x33 Leupold scope.
Passed on a 99% 320 missing the bolt and mag for $120 at a show last year.
Passed on a 50% 310 for $150 at a local shop earlier this year. I would like to get a 310 but this one was very rough.

I bought one five and one ten round mag at shows for $40 each.

Funny... there is a listing for two 320 "bolt carriers" listed on ebay right now. shocked I don't think I'm interested.

My points exactly..

The m320 is certainly no better of a rifle than any other American made walnut stocked bolt actioned rimfire sporter of it's day.
Which is why it was quickly discontinued...even with "Winchester" stamped on the barrel,it set no sales records..

The two I owned shot well,but no better than the Remingtons and Marlins of that era I have owned.

The magazines (when you can find them)cost 3- 4 times what Winchester m69/75/52 repro mags cost.Just from a practcal standpoint it makes kt more expensuve to iwn thatn just its initial purchase price.

Unless you can pick one up fairly cheap(less than $300) there are better Winchester rimfire bolt guns to put your $$ in.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Where are you are located that Winchester 320 magazines are actually fairly easy to find, usually around $30?

I would like to have a couple of extra magazines, but don't see them advertised anywhere for prices anywhere near $30.

Please direct me to your sources or sell me a couple of your spares.[/quote]

I live in Southern Oregon. I find them fairly often at gunshows and have scored a few on eBay too. The 10 rounders actually are an easier find, but will cost you up to $50 which is appx half of what a factory Kimber 82 usually runs.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well the rifle arrived Friday night and I got a chance to shoot it minimally Saturday. It was definitely someone's truck gun as it showed quite a bit of bluing wear on the barrel and finish wear on the walnut stock. Trigger was just over 3 pounds, minimal creep. The first couple of groups were golf ball sized at 35 yards with GECO ammo. I pulled the bolt and inspected the bore on Sunday morning. I don't typically clean my rimfires, but this one NEEDED IT. After about a 30 min cleaning session, I grab an assortment of ammo, GECO, Aguila, SK, and Mini Mags. After several 5 shot strings, the barrel was beginning to season and the groups started shrinking. After about a box of the GECO, I moved my target up to the 25 yard line. I was able to keep 5 shots of the all of the above ammo inside of a 3/8" dot. It came with a 3-9X40 Tasco with some sort of dot crosshair. It will not win any beauty contest, but it was just what I was looking for to put in the overhead rack of my Pioneer. I gladly paid the asking price that was well south of $200.

CK
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Well the rifle arrived Friday night and I got a chance to shoot it minimally Saturday. It was definitely someone's truck gun as it showed quite a bit of bluing wear on the barrel and finish wear on the walnut stock. Trigger was just over 3 pounds, minimal creep. The first couple of groups were golf ball sized at 35 yards with GECO ammo. I pulled the bolt and inspected the bore on Sunday morning. I don't typically clean my rimfires, but this one NEEDED IT. After about a 30 min cleaning session, I grab an assortment of ammo, GECO, Aguila, SK, and Mini Mags. After several 5 shot strings, the barrel was beginning to season and the groups started shrinking. After about a box of the GECO, I moved my target up to the 25 yard line. I was able to keep 5 shots of the all of the above ammo inside of a 3/8" dot. It came with a 3-9X40 Tasco with some sort of dot crosshair. It will not win any beauty contest, but it was just what I was looking for to put in the overhead rack of my Pioneer. I gladly paid the asking price that was well south of $200.

At $200 ,it sounds like you got a good deal..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.