Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12188093 08/04/17
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Anyone have an update on the wildfires in BC? I've been told the smoke is spreading into the PNW.

Any highway impacts?

Links to fire maps?

Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

B
B
Here you go...
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status

Looking like a lot of us may have early season down the tank like 2003.

Longbows, single shot rifles, fly rods: Life is good.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ironbender;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust all is well with you and yours.

The situation is pretty fluid down here to say the least. We could use a little fluid from the sky actually.

As bcmtnmonkey said, it looks like our season might be cut back until the rains too as we've been kicked out of the bush for now.

Anyway if anyone is driving in BC at any time of year, this is the first site I recommend - http://www.drivebc.ca/

The other one that my fellow BC resident posted is very, very useful as well during the summer for sure.

Hope that helped and was useful to someone out there. All the best to you all this summer ironbender.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's very smoky down here. I've been keeping the men and women fighting those fires in my prayers. There ain't a tree alive that's worth the life of a wild land firefighter.

Stay safe neighbors!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The really disastrous fires started on I think it was July 7 when a lightening storm added over 100 fires to those in progress, making a total of about 250 wildfires. This morning a news story said that firefighters have it down to 129 wildfires, with the worst month of fire season still ahead. British Columbia extended a state of emergency again for the province yesterday, now till August 18.

A good friend of mine in the Chilcotin had his house burned to the ground in those first days. He barely had time to load his horse, have his wife grab grandkid photos and he grabbed his guns and his guitar. They stayed in the evacuated area as part of a local Indian Reserve and local ranchers fire fighting team that stayed to try and save other houses and barns. No mail, no phone, no services and no way in or out most of the time, roads restricted to emergency vehicles. Emergency services providing food. He and his wife are staying in a neighbor's old cabin. His son-in-law told me that much, and said, “He's got his girl, his guns and his guitar. What more could a man want?”

SIL tried to take in a 4x4 pickup and trailer load of emergency stuff via back logging roads but could not get through 10 days ago. He is trying again today. Big fine for anyone unauthorized in the restricted areas or on restricted roads so I assume he got a permission slip of some kind. Loooong way around to get there, way east, way north, then back west and south.

Over 40,000 people evacuated, whole towns, and some 9,000 still cannot go home. A whole village burned near Ashcroft and Cache Creek. At one point highways were closed in 15 places, including the Trans-Canada.

Small change compared to news that someone Trump knows may have talked to a Russian some time, so the BC fires don't get much coverage.

Four days ago the prevailing wind reversed from normal and started blowing SW toward the coast. So our town near the coast and near the US border has heavy overcast smoke above and ground visibility down to3/4 mile. NW WA State must be similar.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/05/17. Reason: spel Czech
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for the links gents.

I wish you luck. Stay safe.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. But my son is headed for one of the Montana fires on Monday. His first assignment as a firefighter. We are both proud and Anxious about him marching into danger.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kellory
No. But my son is headed for one of the Montana fires on Monday. His first assignment as a firefighter. We are both proud and Anxious about him marching into danger.

God bless him and I hope you and your wife can find peace until he's home where he belongs.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

kellory;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope all is well with you folks other than the angst with your son.

Our son-in-law's eldest brother is a BC Wildfire Fighter again this summer as he's done for a few now. They are well trained, fit and very savvy about what they're doing - as I'm sure the ones south of the medicine line are too - so even though it's tough and dangerous work for sure they're well prepared no doubt.

That said, I'll include your son and his crew in my prayers to keep the Wildfire Fighters safe on both sides of the medicine line this summer.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you sir. I know they are well trained, but I also know they have lost 2 recently, being hit by falling limbs. You can only train for what you can control.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon related link

INCI web link

Can't offer any help on BC

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Finally cleared up here yesterday evening.... fires are getting eerily close to my moose hunting area come November... outfitter assures me were alright... hoping the best for the boys on the front lines...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its a bad scene up here, the fire fighters have done a good job in saving structures and I dont think anyone has lost their life as of yet. Massive fires burning through ranch country and killing alot of livestock and displacing thousands of people. It hasn't rained in months across the entire south of the province extending to the north. The heat has dried up vegetation making it tough for ranging cattle to find enough feed.
There is a ban on outdoor activities such as motorcycles, quads,etc because there are still enough idiots around using the bush while smoking, having campfires, cutting firewood, causing the government to impose a backcountry ban.

On the upside to all the fires will come a renewed forest bringing habitat for all the animals, period. Some of these area's have needed fire badly for 50 years or more, building a fire hazard that has never existed until recently.
No rain in sight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our local fires here in SE Oregon are out, but the areas smoked up like an inferno is coming over the horizon. Probably from you guys up north.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I saw my cousin at church yesterday and she said their cabin at Loon Lake was destroyed. It was just a summer cabin not a residence so not as devastating as those who have lost everything, but it's still a loss. Down here in the Fraser Valley there has been a lot of smoke and some really interesting orange sun- and moonrises and -sets. My gf in Bellingham WA has been getting some stunning pics, too, as the smoke has had the temerity to cross the border without permission.

Alas, the idiots are running amok unimpeded: Happy to be home, Williams Lake man fined for setting off fireworks

"It is careless acts such as this that have the real potential to trigger even more interface wildfires in the area," said Cpl. Jesse O'Donaghey in a release.

Officers say people called police early Saturday morning to complain about fireworks at a property near Carson Drive and Central Court.

Williams Lake RCMP says it found the man who was intoxicated with several empty fireworks canisters on his property.

Police say the Williams Lake resident admitted to setting off the fireworks to celebrate returning home after a recent evacuation order was lifted.

Police detained the man until he was not longer intoxicated.

He was fined more than $1,000 for for allegedly dropping, releasing or mishandling a burning substance, as well as for failing to comply with high risk activity restrictions under the provincial B.C. Wildfire Act and its regulations.

Police say they're thankful to people who called in the complaint.

"Had this man's actions been overlooked, the outcome could have been dire for the entire community," the release said.

​Williams Lake remains on an evacuation alert.

As someone on another forum commented, "The stupid is strong with this one."

Oops... this one as well:

The police in Merritt nabbed some tard that had soaked some grass with diesel and then was trying to light it with a cigarette. They sent him to Kamloops for a psychiatric evaluation. Hope this moron doesn't start a fire once he gets through the revolving door over there

Last edited by Stuart; 08/07/17.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We evacuated July 15th and just returned home last week. These fires are beyond description as there is no events in recent memory that matches what is happening now.

The shear cost once this is over will be staggering.

Here are some copies of posts I have made on other forums. The range in age from a month ago to current.

Sometimes the old girls get the job done.

~1960 Lockheed L-188 Electra laying down a control line near Cache Creek a couple of weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

RCMP officer rounding up a stray donkey near the 150 Mile House fire. Yes he was using crime scene tape as a rope. I should note that 2 differnt RCMP officers were the among the first families to loose their home in the 100 Mile House area when the first fire - human caused- broke out July 7th.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

This is what happens to your pickup when you get caught looting from your neighbors during an evacuation order.....

[Linked Image]

Our prime minister ........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/12/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The historic Lee's Corner in the Chilcotin destroyed. This was at the start. of the Riske Creek fire. Over 600 square miles and countless structures lost since then.

[Linked Image]

Photo from CBC:

Lockheed L188 Electra dropping a load

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of her in her hanger:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another L-188 Electra. This one was dropping a load near 16 Mile (Cache Creek)

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...ebde26aab68805b7f8d0248c&oe=59C4BBD2[/img]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We now have the Canadian Armed Forces providing logistical support. wink

Since I originally posted this we now have close to 400 members of the Canadian Armed Forces assisting the RCMP at roadblocks and helping with evacuation orders. It is nice to see the sea of green and watching our tax dollars in action. There is also an additional ~500 RCMP officers working out of Williams Lake assisting our local detachments.

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...3aa03e782a3f667e5e3735ae&oe=5A041548[/img]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Help from everywhere coming in.

They sent boxes and boxes of supplies to the McLeese Lake VFD Command Centre!! These will be shared as far and as wide through the Cariboo as the roadblocks will allow us to.

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...385b6731911b4cfac94ba626&oe=5A05E246[/img]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender
Anyone have an update on the wildfires in BC? I've been told the smoke is spreading into the PNW.

Any highway impacts?

Links to fire maps?

Thanks.

As of August 10th, 2017. These are the fires burning in the Cariboo-Chilcotin Region of BC. (Cache Creek North to Quesnel)

The Cariboo-Chilcotin alone has 2000 square miles (5000 square km) burnt so far.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Due to increased fire activity in the Bald Mountain area, the BC Wildfire Service has recommended the immediate closure of Highway 20 (east and west directions) from the Fraser River to the Alex Graham/600 Road until further notice. The Farwell Canyon Road is also closed.
The Hanceville fire covers 179,768 hectares, is exhibiting aggressive Rank 5 and Rank 6 fire behaviour and is being driven by strong winds. This temporary road closure will help protect public safety and allow firefighters and firefighting equipment to move through this area more easily.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
August 12 2017 near Alexis Creek

[Linked Image]

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy [bleep] Cariboo, sad to see and I hope for the safety of everyone there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Canim Lake Evacuation ORDER

Evacuation Order : for Canim Lake Area. The area includes Bates Road to Mahood Lake Road

Due to immediate danger, members of the RCMP or other groups will be expediting this action. The evacuation route is Canim Lake South, left on Canim-Hendrix Road to 100 Mile House or Kamloops.

[Linked Image]

Riske Creek Evacuation ORDER

Evacuation Order:for Alexis Creek to Riske Creek. This order is replacing the evacuation order issued earlier today from Highway 20 from West of Hanceville to Risk Creek.

Due to immediate danger, members of the RCMP or other groups will be expediting this action. The evacuation route is Highway 20 to Williams Lake.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
7 new fires started August 12th East of 100 Mile House.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had rain move in up here in my part of B.C. and it's supposed to be rainy all week, really hope it makes it down there where you guys really need it.

Gerry.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Canim Lake evacuation Order just expanded to include Hawkings Lake and the community of Eagle Creek along with the entire Canim Lake Reserve,

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We had our only precipitation in 54 days last night and this morning. The first thing I thought when I heard the rain coming down was I hope it reaches our neighbors and eases their burden. The second thing I thought was I hope the windows are up in all the rigs and did my daughter bring in her sleeping bag from the truck? She didn't. 😁

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Cariboo-
Thanks for the update post. Good luck to all of you. What a mess.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Enough rain to wet the porch last night but not enough to really do much as far as dampening fuel. Possibility of thunderstorms this PM but hoping for none. Cooler today at 26 C (79F) but a little breezy. Air mostly clear for the first time in 3 weeks or more. GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Things not looking too good West of the Fraser

The Plateau Fire (Tautri, Chezacut, Baezaeko, etc) (C10784)
Last updated: Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM

Location: The Chilcotin Plateau, 60km west of Quesnel and 60km northwest of Williams Lake
• See approximate location of this wildfire on an See Map interactive map
• View an interactive map of all active Wildfires of Note.

Discovered: Friday, July 07, 2017

Size: 438,772.0 hectares (estimated)

This fire was previously being listed as Chezacut, Tautri, Bishop's Bluff, Baezaeko, Wentworth Creek, Arc Mountain, and others.

It has now merged in to one fire (The Plateau Fire) and is being managed by two BC Wildfire Service Incident Management Teams (one located at Puntzi and the other at Sylvia's, west of Quesnel).

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/20/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hanceville-Riske Creek-C50647-Chilcotin Fire Zone (C50647)
Last updated: Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 8:00 PM

Location: Hanceville and Riske Creek areas, located approx. 60 kilometers southwest of Williams Lake
• See approximate location of this wildfire on an See Map interactive map
• View an interactive map of all active Wildfires of Note.

Discovered: Saturday, July 08, 2017

Size: 218,000.0 hectares (estimated)

• 25% contained
Today in the Harper Lake area crews are preparing to conduct a burn when conditions allow.

In the Farwell Canyon area crews continue to build dozer lines.

In the Fletcher Lake area firefighters are conducting a burn-out if conditions allow.

On the Taseko Lake Road (900 Road) work will be conducted from the 19 to the 30 kilometer mark with heavy equipment. Flaggers will be on-site.

On the western flank of the fire firefighters will build guard from Gay Lake northward.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A little good news for my family. We were taken off of evacuation alert today.
Time to unpack the suitcases.

With that said evacuation orders expanded around Tatla Lake. The fires in the Chilcotin are still going strong and gaining ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Thanks for the updates sir, we appreciate them.

Please know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers down here.

Lets hope that it's a cool, damp fall and it doesn't take too long getting here.

Dwayne

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Dwayne,

The areas East of the Fraser have been receiving a bit of rain. Along with the rain there have been a few more lightning starts but the Wildfire Service initial attack crews have been on Red Alert the last month and have been jumping on them fast. (I think the crews are sleeping under their helos! wink )

The Chilcotin on the other hand is getting very dry, very gusty winds coming down off the Coast Mountains. Those fire may stop growing when the snow starts falling.

The Cariboo is still so dry we have a total backcountry ban in place. Even launching a boat on a lake is forbidden right now. Hopefully we can get back in the bush soon as I still need to put up about 5 cords of firewood before I can start hunting this fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Thanks for the reply sir.

Yes we're a few loads light on firewood too, but haven't been going up the mountain behind the house for any purpose over since late June. I just don't want to be "that guy" even in the event of something mechanical going wrong with the rig or anything.

I hear you on the snow thing. When the big fire west of Oliver a couple years back got down into the canyons it didn't quit smoking until the snow fell.

It will be good for the wildlife if they can get a handle on the access and predators - lets hope they can.

Thanks again and all the best to you folks this week.

Dwayne

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Dwayne, My dad was sir you can just call me Gary. LoL

The Plateau Fire about 25 km away from us on the other side of the big muddy river grew another 30,000 ha today. It is now over 500,000 ha - 2000 square mile for our American friends- and still growing. It is not moving towards us but the folks West of Quesnel are getting nervous.

BC wildfire is expecting more high winds over the next few days and are quite concerned.

I never thought I would be praying to our good Lord for 2 feet of snow but now I am.

Gary

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is , in many ways VERY tough to read,....the stuff of heartache, as regards old friends and stomping grounds.
.......That said it is VERY much appreciated, some of the BEST straight up and no nonsense updates I can find. ...given our idiot MSM disregards and foibles regarding anything but more talking head airtime.

Lotta' quiet conversation with the man upstairs, and daily invocating goin' on here in this corner of S.E. Arizona,.....for alla' you.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Link to CBC news report regarding the Plateau fire burning in the Cariboo - Chilcotin Region of BC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/largest-wildfire-1.4257021?cmp=rss

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That a huge area of fire. Good luck.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A little more good news .....

http://www.mycariboonow.com/23605/backcountry-closure-lifted-cariboo-fire-centre/

A full backcountry closure which was anticipated to be in effect until September 5, has now been lifted for the Cariboo Fire Centre.

BC Wildfire Service, Chief Fire Information Officer Kevin Skrepnek says the restriction was the first since 2003.

“We were doing that basically to use every tool we had to prevent human caused fires. People literally weren’t allowed to use lakes, recreational use was not allowed in Crown areas; it was quite a significant move. We don’t want people to get complacent just as a result of us having taking this off. There is still hazard out there but it’s to the point that we feel can reign this in this in from a prevention perspective.”

Skrepnek says there are currently 49 active wildfires burning within the Cariboo Fire Centre, and that there will be buffer zones drawn around them.

A off-road vehicle ban still remains in effect.

The Cariboo Fire Centre stretches from Loon Lake (near Clinton) in the south to the Cottonwood River (near Quesnel) in the north and from Tweedsmuir Provincial Park in the west to Wells Gray Provincial Park in the east.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another new fire East of Kelowna. 1100 people ordered to evacuate immediately.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wildfire-kelowna-august-2017-1.4261493

RCMP are evacuating properties along the following roads: Goudie, Huckleberry, Daves, Goshawk, Hawk, Falcon, Falconridge, Sun Valley, Peregrine, Philpott Forest Service, Three Forks, Thelwell, Greystokes, Dion and Schram.

Highway 33 is also closed in both directions between Gallagher an Big White Road

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/24/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Evening Gary, it's windy down here tonight.

Have a friend involved in the Joe Rich fire by Kelowna. It's mile after mile of small ranches and hobby farms up there.

Anyway it's not over yet, that's for sure. We'll keep those involved in our thoughts and prayers.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ohio fire crew 3 returned home, today. My son's crew received high praise for thier performance review. He did good. smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kellory;
Nice!

Good to hear, but then - there was never any doubt on that was there. cool

Thanks for letting us know he made it okay and thank him for doing what he's doing.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
kellory;
Nice!

Good to hear, but then - there was never any doubt on that was there. cool

Thanks for letting us know he made it okay and thank him for doing what he's doing.

Dwayne

Will do. I'll see him Saturday.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm guessing that when this nightmare is over and people start rebuilding there will be a brisk business in roof-mounted sprinkler systems for those living near lakes and ponds. Given the ferocity of these fires they might not save everything but might make the difference between something and nothing to come home to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stuart;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the summer has been a good one for you all. We've been through your neck of the woods a few times this summer and I can't say it wasn't busy anyway!

One of the hurdles with trying to set up systems for fire suppression is that the first thing to go out is the power. Even when the lines don't get burned, Fortis shuts the power off immediately - as they did in the Joe Rich fire on Thursday.

Typically we'll need hydro to power the sprinkler system's water pump.......

Unless one has either a gravity feed system or a generator of course. Both aren't without some issues and then both require that you get back home to activate the system. Lots of folks weren't allowed back home into the Joe Rich fire and I'm sure that's the case with many of them, so there is that.

Anyway my good wife and I are mulling over the logistics of installing a couple thousand gallon tank set up for gravity feed here, as the lay of the land will allow it. That said I've got to crunch the numbers to see what size of piping we'll need and if it's remotely feasible. Again, we'd still have to be allowed to go back home and there's no guarantee on that aspect of the equation Stuart.

We try to trim the trees up to 10-15' and keep the dead brush cleaned up around the house, but shy of making a moonscape out of the place there's no foolproof method that I've run across. Oh, yes we're in a stucco house with fire resistant shingles too, so that does help.

Still, it's one of the things we risk by living in the sticks Stuart and I suppose since we're here a quarter century one could surmise we've accepted that.

All the best to you all this fall Stuart.

Dwayne

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dwayne
Here's wishing for the best outcome possible for you and yours-

Fred

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Stuart;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the summer has been a good one for you all. We've been through your neck of the woods a few times this summer and I can't say it wasn't busy anyway!..

Good evening, Dwayne.

Fortunately I'm not in the "busy" part of the Wet Coast but somewhat east in Mission, but I did have to drive into Vancouver a few times in July and THAT was busy. Ugh....

As regards the sprinkler system, yes a generator would be pretty much mandatory if you use an electric pump, and I imagine not a few of you have one, but I was thinking of a gas-powered high-pressure pump. Now gasoline and wildfires make uncomfortable bedfellows but the professional (read "expensive") pumps used for fire suppression are gas-powered. Websites like One Stop Fire have info on these systems, although there are suppliers in BC as well.

In fact I'm in the process of putting roof-top sprinklers on my place here as I'm rural enough to not have municipal water. I have a good shallow well, but I also have two underground water tanks, fed from the metal roof in the rainy seasons, with a total of 3000 Imp. gallons. and am considering possibly adding a couple of above-ground tanks as well. I have a high-pressure "trash" pump that I think I can use to draw water from the tanks (possibly with a pressure-relief valve) and have run a 100' line up to the house and started to install 1" PVC lines under the eaves to go up to the gables. There will also be a sprinkler to dampen down the area by the well house. The impact sprinklers can cover about a 50' radius @ 50 psi; 20' up on the gable ends might increase this. I also have a 6kW diesel genny so alternately I could run an electric pump. (Besides, I'm retired and need projectss to work on!)

Now we don't have the wildfire threat here that you folks do but a couple of years ago there was a small fire up the hill from me that could have got out of hand and become quite nasty; some folks had already made provision to evacuate their horses if it spread. Fortunately Hatzic Lake is at the bottom of that hill and there were water-suppressing helicopters dropping water on the fire for nearly 12 hours. So it can happen even here.

Last edited by Stuart; 08/27/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stuart;
Thanks for the reply and further info.

I was actually in Mission on Monday, so I should've waved as I went through.

Indeed a generator and or gas powered pressure pump and tank would be the way to fly I think.

Thanks again and all the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Royce
Dwayne
Here's wishing for the best outcome possible for you and yours-

Fred

Fred;
Thanks kindly sir I appreciate it.

It's been way too long since I've said hello Fred, I hope life has been going okay for you folks in the interim.

The nights are starting to cool off a bit now Fred and with any luck we'll get some rain before too, too long. It's just one of "those" years and like my late father used to say, if we didn't have a bad one once in awhile we wouldn't appreciate the good ones.

All the best to you folks this fall Fred.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have had no shortage of rain up here, would gladly send some down to you guys. It looks like as of a couple of days ago on this thread there was some improvement, how are things as of tonight?

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gerry;
Good evening sir, I hope this finds you well tonight.

We'd absolutely take a few days of rain now, but there seems to be no end of the heat and wind in sight right now.

As mentioned though the days are getting shorter and the nights cooler, so here's hoping it abates a tad soon.

Thanks for thinking of us, we do appreciate it.

All the best to you and yours this fall Gerry.

Dwayne

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Elephant Hill is really moving North - North East. 9 km run last night.

Little Green Lake was tactically evacuated (RCMP and Military knocking on doors) late yesterday. I would not be surprised to see Sheridan Lake, Watch Lake and North Green Lake evacuated in the very near future. (South Green is already under an evacuation order)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
OK then. That didn't take long ......

he Cariboo Regional District has issued an evacuation order for the an area south of Highway 24, including the areas of Watch Lake, Little Horse Lake, Little Green Lake and the western side of Sheridan Lake. Adjacent areas south of Highway 24 remain on evacuation alert and the alert has now expanded to include some areas north of Highway 24.
Due to immediate danger, members of the RCMP or other groups will be expediting the evacuation order. The evacuation route is along Highway 24 into 100 Mile House. Register at the Emergency Support Services Reception Centre in in 100 Mile House at the South Cariboo Recreation Centre at 175 Wrangler Way.

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/30/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/30/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Elephant Hill fire took another run last night and moved to within rock-throwing distance to South Sheridan.

Photo (photo credit to Marcel Lang) taken from the Loon Bay Resort on the North side of Sheridan Lake yesteryear evening.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad that folks are safe. Did a family run up to Glacier last week, and photographically it was a bust if one wanted to attempt any landscape level images. The rumor was BC and Washington fires.

Next time around I think we'll go with a spring opening.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Alas, the evac. orders only apply to humans: Rodents take over home while family flees wildfires.

A single mother living near Clinton, B.C., thought her summer was bad enough when she fled her ranch with her two young sons and nearly 50 animals in order to avoid encroaching wildfires.

Chelsea Trill relocated with her family and animals to Abbotsford in early July, where they spent about 45 days with family friends. 

Trill explained to Radio West host Sarah Penton that when she recently opened the door to her house, she originally thought squatters had moved in while her family was away.

However, she soon realized all of the doors were still locked and there were visible signs of rodents.

"I thought someone had broken in and trashed the place when we were gone," explained Trill.

She says toys were moved, food and bedding chewed, and there were rodent droppings and urine everywhere.
"It was just unprotected for the 45 days we were gone, and they just went wild."

Trill says she dealt with pack rats, a type of rat that is native to Canada, at the beginning of the gardening season. The rodents would eat her small plants if she left them outside overnight. However, her dogs and cats had chased the pack rats off, so she and her boys were relatively unbothered by the rodents.

Unfortunately, when the dogs and cats left with the family, the home was left unprotected and the pack rats moved in.
The family threw out baby items, clothing, bedding and food that wasn't canned before disinfecting all household surfaces.

The Red Cross provided the family with a large amount of cleaning supplies.

Trill says that since they live minimally she guesses the net losses are around $500. 

She plans to make changes and do things differently if they are ever forced to evacuate again.

Still, at least she had a house to come back to

Last edited by Stuart; 08/31/17.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Round 2 for South Canim Lake.

Early this morning (Sept. 1), the RCMP tactically evacuated a number of CRD residents south of Canim Lake. Emergency Support Services, including group lodging, are available in 100 Mile House at the Hillside Community Church, formerly known as the Bethel Church (550 Exeter Truck Road). We are working with the BC Wildfire Service and RCMP to determine if an official evacuation order for the area is required. More details will be shared later this morning as they become available. Please note, those who are immediately threatened have already been asked to leave by the RCMP.

Last edited by Cariboo; 09/01/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

This crew from Quebec putting on a show again this time at Sheridan Lake.

BTW Viking Air in Victoria has acquired the Type Certificates (manufacturing rights) for all variants of Bombardier's amphibious aircraft including the CL-415 shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=QSJagLytnlE

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That is one crazy video of those water bombers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Good afternoon Gary, I hope the first day of the Labour Day Weekend has been going as planned and uneventful for you.

We had a fire yesterday just west of Penticton that we watched from work. They had a big loader from a nearby gravel pit and two bucket choppers on it right away and they still had their hands full. Was quite windy from the south again then and that of course helps not one bit.

Thanks for the video of the yellow planes from Quebec, it brings back memories for us. When we got word we had to go during the Vaseaux Fire in '03 we could count the rivets on the wings of those yellow planes. Loading the horses during an airshow was smoother than we expected it was going to be, but perhaps they wanted to go by then too, not sure?

Somewhere we've got photos of them and the two Mars Martin bombers loading in Skaha Lake. The Quebec crew was already in the neighborhood fighting the big fire east of Kelowna that year and of course the Mars came in from Sproat Lake daily. The really annoying thing was they had to keep the RCMP boat on Skaha herding boaters away so they could load the planes. Another one for the file names "folks are special" I guess?

Anyway sir, if it ever cools down and/or we get some rain, lets hope we can get some hunting in along with the firewood gathering that's already late. Good luck with both and all the best to you all.

Dwayne

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good day Dwayne,

As you are undoubtedly aware another new fire started this afternoon North of you near Peachland. Wildfire service is calling it "very aggressive" . Hopefully they will be all over this one before it gets too large.

As much as I dislike "road-hunting" I think my hunting this fall will be from the seat of the pickup as we head into the bush to cut wood. LoL (If it ever cools off) We have a young black bear hanging around in the bush behind our house as we have a neighbour just down the road with crab apple trees she can't be bothered to pick. We live in a very rural area so I might just have to put this young bear into the freezer.

4 new fires today around Clinton and Kamloops. All were human-caused. I really wish that people would just stay home until the bush becomes safer.

Gary

Last edited by Cariboo; 09/02/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The BC Wildfire Service is responding to a fire near Finlay Creek, approximately 7.5 kilometres southwest of Peachland. The fire is currently estimated at 20 hectares in size and generating a lot of smoke, which is highly visible from nearby communities, Highway 97 and Okanagan Lake. The steep terrain and strong western winds are factors of the increasing fire behaviour crews are currently battling.

There are airtankers, three helicopters and 7 firefighters on the fire with additional crews heading to the incident. No structures in the area are immediately threatened.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
NOT AN OFFICIAL REPORT but local residents are now reporting the Elephant Hill Fire has reached the South Shore of Sheridan Lake near the Sheridan Park Resort. The fire is now spreading East following the shoreline as well as heading North past the West side of Sheridan and headed towards Highway 24. Many resorts are located on this lake as well as hundreds of permanent residences.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Northern flank of the Elephant Hill fire Sunday morning September 3rd. This is the same fire that did a 9 km run in under 24 hours a couple of days ago.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Cariboo
The BC Wildfire Service is responding to a fire near Finlay Creek, approximately 7.5 kilometres southwest of Peachland. The fire is currently estimated at 20 hectares in size and generating a lot of smoke, which is highly visible from nearby communities, Highway 97 and Okanagan Lake. The steep terrain and strong western winds are factors of the increasing fire behaviour crews are currently battling.

There are airtankers, three helicopters and 7 firefighters on the fire with additional crews heading to the incident. No structures in the area are immediately threatened.

In 24 hours this fire has grown to over 1000 ha (2500 acres) and evacuation orders have been issued. frown

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Figures released by the Cariboo Regional District (CRD) today. Please note this is just losses within the CRD.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cariboo; 09/05/17.
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Drove through BC at the end of Aug. Very nice drive as it always is. No highway closures so smooth sailing from that perspective.

Had some smoke around Prince George, but not bad. On the return it seemed much clearer.

Lots of rain on the south end of the Cassiar. Hope it comes to where you really need it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way too many fires.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
'I don't think any of us have had a chance to consider the sheer magnitude of what happened out there'

CBC article here

To say that Kevin Skrepnek had a busy summer would be an understatement.

As the chief fire information officer with the B.C. Wildfire Service during the province's worst wildfire season on record, he spent most of the past few months working 16-hour shifts.

Between ensuring that government ministries and the public had the latest intelligence on dozens of wildfires, fielding calls from journalists and travelling into fire zones to provide first hand support, Skrepnek also became a dad.

You'd think that Skrepnek, a cheerful 30-year-old who bears a striking resemblance to actor Seth Rogan, would be getting some rest.

But as the summer turns to fall, Skrepnek has debriefs to complete and data to crunch — after all, the next wildfire season is right around the corner.

But first, back to the day it all began.

'A day a lot of us won't forget'

July 7, 2017 is a date that many B.C. residents won't forget anytime soon.

A hot, dry Friday that Skrepnek said started as "business is usual" soon turned into a nightmare.

Over the course of one afternoon, over a hundred wildfires broke out across the province. By the end of the day, B.C. was in a provincial state of emergency.

For Skrepnek, watching from his perch in the Kamloops Fire Centre, it quickly became clear that the situation was spiralling out of control.

"I definitely shed a few tears that day."

'The first time I saw B.C. it was on fire'

Skrepnek grew up in Ontario, and first visited B.C. in 2003.

"My first time seeing B.C., when my plane came over the Rockies, the pilot directed us to look out the window and there was a huge forest fire going," he said.

"It was kind of fitting, the first time I saw British Columbia it was on fire."

Skrepnek eventually moved to B.C. to study public relations at Kwantlen Polytechnic University.

His first summer off from school, he got a seasonal position with the Wildfire Service.

'The only vehicle driving north'

In a summer defined by sweat, tears, and nail-bitting close calls, a few moments stand out. For Skrepnek, the massive evacuation of the city of Williams Lake is one of them.

That's because as he headed into the city under the cover of darkness, the massive wildfire he was driving towards wasn't the only thing on his mind.

"I was glad I was there to help, but I was also expecting my daughter to be born kind of within the week."

Skrepnek left Williams Lake on July 20 and headed to Chilliwack, where the first contingent of Australian personnel was arriving to provide relief.

He then held a quick press conference, and rushed back to Kamloops for the baby's delivery.

"For someone in my industry it was about the least ideal time possible."

Skrepnek took three days off to spend time with his partner and newborn daughter, who they named Sage. Then he headed back to work.

The calm after the storm

As the season unwinds, Skrepnek said he's aware of the mental toll the fires have taken on him and his staff.

"When I look back at the summer and the amount of stress that was on us, I don't think any of us have had a chance to look back and consider the sheer magnitude of what happened out there."

At the peak of the evacuations, 45,000 people were out of their homes. As of late September, 1.2 million hectares had burned, and the firefighting efforts had cost the province $518.8 million.

But there's also another number worth considering: no one died, or was gravely injured as a direct result of the fires.

Skrepnek said that's a testament to the people of B.C.

"I've been busy, there's no doubt about it. But there are people who have been out there on four or five tours now — sleeping in tents, working on the fire line, hard, exhausting work. Not to mention the people who have been evacuated and are living in gymnasiums and community centres.

"I think my summer has probably paled in comparison to what they've been through."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CBC
'I don't think any of us have had a chance to consider the sheer magnitude of what happened out there'

I, and thousands of my neighbors, have lived through the nightmare that was the summer of 2017 and know exactly the magnitude of the disaster.

Friday July 7th was a surreal experience for those of us in the Central Cariboo. (I won't talk here about the horrific losses in the South Cariboo and Chilcotin) After work around 5:00 pm I was at a service station in Williams Lake filling up my pickup and getting a couple of 20 pound propane bottles filled for the upcoming weekend. The first dry lightning strike was on the ridge of Fox Mountain overlooking the city. Within seconds a column of black smoke was reaching for the sky. Getting into the pickup to head home to McLeese Lake - 35 km North of WL - the radio announcer was talking about multiple lightning strikes in the area and how the hot & dry wind was really starting to spread the fires.

Heading home I drove by 2 more fires one near the WL airport and the other very close to the community of Wildwood. A little further North another fire was burning near the highway in the Hawkes Creek valley near where that creek dumps into the Fraser River. Looking across the river towards the Chilcotin Plateau 3 separate fires were burning West of the ridge at Buckskin, Castle Rock, and Twan Lake.

By the time I got home, about an hour after the initial strikes, the smoke from all the fires had reduced visibility considerably. 24 hours later visibility was down to a few hundred yards.

On July 8th we had 10 out of control wildfires burning within 25 km of our home. They were burning to the North, South, East, and West of us! This was just the start of the problems as region wide we had over 60 out of control wildfires burning up the landscape. My wife and I started getting prepared and loaded up both out pickups and hooked up the trailers just in case we had to get out although I don't know where we would have gone as there were fires burning across the Highways both North and South of us.

The wildfire service fought the fires for the next week with little containment. Then the wind really came up ............................

We spent 2 weeks living with family in Quesnel and after our return home stayed on evacuation alert for another month. We were fortunate as our only loss was a TV set that I think was the victim of a power spike. Our freezers and fridge stay powered up while we were gone so we lost no food. Not all our neighbors were as lucky and many homes and outbuilding were lost.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I can't Imagine how stressful this summer must have been for you folks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
120 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.