Many an old timer has remarked that todays guns are made for idiots, in that almost all of em have a variety of devices to keep some types from shootin themselves.
All too often, I find myself agreein. Unfortunately, we need to keep a few other things in mind. For one, we have the politicians. Politicians are rarely expert on anything except gettin their faces in front of the camera, and writin big perks for themselves. Its these geniuses who in many cases have mandated measures that exist only in someones imagination-the fired case thing, for instance, the smart gun is another. Facing measures from this group, the firearms industry has figured out that by puttin locks an safeties everywhere, it pacifices them ragin camera hogs for at least a short time.
Needless to say, this is a can of worms, but other than buyin old guns, we the gun buyers pretty much have to deal with it.
The other thing is that if the NRA is to be trusted, all these safeties an locks seem to work with the crowd theyre intended to get at. Accidental firearm deaths are way down, despite the fact that more guns than ever are bein sold, more hunters are in the fields, an so on. Sure eductaion is some of it, but for this much of a drop to coincide with the intro of all these safety devices????
As much as I hate em, they must work.
Finally, the intro of safeties an locks steels some of the thunder from the rabid antis-you know em by lots of names, they are scared of their own shadows an they cringe an sweat and scream for government to save them from their fear. When locks an safeties were proposed, these types had no response-see they don't want em either, but they dont want em cuz it furthers their goals of english style draconian bans.
So, it looks like locks an safeties are here to stay. Suppose it could be worse, an we wouldnt have any manufacturers at all.
Good luck n good shootin