Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

I have a couple strung with Berkley Nano-fil.
It’s OK, but I’m always looking for better
What do you prefer ?
I’m looking at 8 lb line on a light or med light rod

MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My brother fishes a LOT and told me to try the Nano so I did. He liked it but I could tell he wasn't in love with it. I hated it.

Did some research and bought Sufix 832 - LOVE it. I have changed all my reels over to it now and my brother is already changing his after trying mine.

For light line, they make a 6 and 10 lb. I am running the 10 for spinning and heavier on the baitcasters.

I run all my braids with a Flouro leader as well.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Power Pro Super Slick 8.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+1

8lb on spinning reels & 10lb on my baitcasters !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never used anything but mono for casting until a few weeks ago when I tried some 15lb Power Pro on a medium spinning reel I use for bass with jigs and Senkos. As most of the lakes around here are pretty clear I tied on a P Line fluro type leader. I used an "Alberto" knot to tie on the leader and it worked good. The knot's small enough to cast well and it held up to a hang that bent a thin hook a little. They advertise the 15lb Power Pro as = to 4lb mono in diameter and that's what it looked like to me. I was able to cast a weightless Senko or 1/4oz jig a long way and the leader looked invisible underwater. I only caught two fish that might have weighed two lbs but no problems with the braid. I can see why it's popular.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is everyone having to use mono or fluro leaders with the braided lines?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fluro with a FG knot. I fish saltwater and heavier line. 30, 40, 50, and 60lb test SS8 braid to 3'ish fluro leaders for abrasion resistance and ease of tying off terminal tackle, etc.

The FG knot is the greatest thing since sliced bread for non-hollow core braid to fluro connections. P

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Clear lakes yes, tannin stained lakes no !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I tried one of the 6 lb. test braided lines last year for my local, very clear trout lakes. I was warned it doesn't resist rock damage like the tougher mono lines. After finding this to be true, I changed back to mono. E

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I been using power pro exclusively since it came out. I keep on trying other brands but always go back to power pro. We use 10 pound on our ultralights, 15 for medium spinning, and 30 on level winds and larger spinning reels for catfish and stripers. Most likely when I spool up our level winds for bass they will hold 30 as well.
Generally buy the 1500 yard spools on ebay but once in a great while Amazon might be cheaper.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like the nanofil way better than braid. Hate the whizzing through the guides when a fish is on. Nanofil cast like crazy.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nanofil here. I use 10-lb Nanofil on my medium rods, and 6-lb on my ultralight. Matching fluro leaders on both, with either the Red Philips knot or uni-uni. I do note that Nano absolutely requires ultra-smooth line guides. A rough guide will shred it right away.

For heavier test, I go to Power Pro or Spectra. The heavier Nanofils aren't as good. Power Pro also works well on my casting reels. Same knots.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Nanofil here. I use 10-lb Nanofil on my medium rods, and 6-lb on my ultralight. Matching fluro leaders on both, with either the Red Philips knot or uni-uni. I do note that Nano absolutely requires ultra-smooth line guides. A rough guide will shred it right away.

For heavier test, I go to Power Pro or Spectra. The heavier Nanofils aren't as good. Power Pro also works well on my casting reels. Same knots.

Almost identical setups. I use 12 on my medium lights and mediums and 6 on my lights and ultra lights. I love the red Phillips knot but if I'm in a hurry I tie a modified surgeons knot. I use a floro leader most of the time but a mono leader has more stretch and I lose less fish on a mono leader on heavyish lures like jigging spoons with treble hooks. It's good stuff that nanofil.

Have you tried sufix 832 Rocky? Just curious about it.

Last edited by seal_billy; 07/24/17.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have not tried Suffix 832 on a spinning reel, but have some on a couple casting reels in 20# test. It's great stuff for that, but Nanofil or Fireline are better for spinning.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (Anaconda, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.