Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just purchased my first No1 in 270 WBY Mag and was wondering if y'all have any experience with this round in this rifle. I've heard all the statements about them being a crap shoot when it comes to accuracy but was wondering what to expect?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, you can't "expect" anything; just experience what you get. The same applies to any rifle. What you have is a very nice classic rifle chambered for the ultimate factory .270. It will certainly shoot well enough for the purpose it's designed for and may pleasantly surprise you. But if you were really concerned with ultimate accuracy, you'd probably have gone for a bolt gun and maybe another cartridge. Scope it and go forth and slay stuff (which it should really excel at), and don't fret over bugholes.

I'm in the same boat as you are, with a new, unfired Number 1, albeit in another chambering, hoping for the best, but I'm going to enjoy it regardless, and look good doing it (well, the rifle anyway!).

BTW, even a standard .270 can be pretty hard on bullets, so don't go cheap on slugs for game shooting with your big one.

Congrats on your new rifle. Pictures would be welcome.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Honestly, you can't "expect" anything; just experience what you get. The same applies to any rifle. What you have is a very nice classic rifle chambered for the ultimate factory .270. It will certainly shoot well enough for the purpose it's designed for and may pleasantly surprise you. But if you were really concerned with ultimate accuracy, you'd probably have gone for a bolt gun and maybe another cartridge. Scope it and go forth and slay stuff (which it should really excel at), and don't fret over bugholes.

I'm in the same boat as you are, with a new, unfired Number 1, albeit in another chambering, hoping for the best, but I'm going to enjoy it regardless, and look good doing it (well, the rifle anyway!).

BTW, even a standard .270 can be pretty hard on bullets, so don't go cheap on slugs for game shooting with your big one.

Congrats on your new rifle. Pictures would be welcome.

Yea its gonna be a hunting gun for SC whitetails until I can get out west again.Here is a couple pics.It came with a Leupold 3.5x10x40.Gun was a safe queen with only 5 shots down the tube.Its a 1993 model by the serial number.I paid $1100.00 shipped which aint too bad since both the scope and rifle is mint.Here is a few pics of the little darling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Had one of these for several years now. Pappy is right about bullets, don't go cheap. I'm going to try the 150g LRAB's this year. Used to use old school 140g Silver Tip BT's at 3300+ fps. Accuracy was right at 1 inch +/- but rarely got an exit wound. Good optics with decent eye relief and your ready to start whacking stuff. Be careful not to get a scope with a huge ocular end. That can cause issues with rapid reloading if needed. A large ocular sitting right over the loading port doesn't leave a lot of room for a fat case and big fingers. My experience (with the 3 that I have loaded for) and that of a friend who has several No. 1's is that they like loads at or just barely over book max. Hope this helps.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Had one of these for several years now. Pappy is right about bullets, don't go cheap. I'm going to try the 150g LRAB's this year. Used to use old school 140g Silver Tip BT's at 3300+ fps. Accuracy was right at 1 inch +/- but rarely got an exit wound. Good optics with decent eye relief and your ready to start whacking stuff. Be careful not to get a scope with a huge ocular end. That can cause issues with rapid reloading if needed. A large ocular sitting right over the loading port doesn't leave a lot of room for a fat case and big fingers. My experience (with the 3 that I have loaded for) and that of a friend who has several No. 1's is that they like loads at or just barely over book max. Hope this helps.

thanks pal! i gonna start load development with R22,Fed Match mag primers and 130 grain Nosler BT and go from there.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTs might be a bit tender, especially up close. For a beanfield rifle, (you said SC, right?) way out there, maybe they'd be okay, but for all-around use, mono-metal, bonded, or Partitions would be more reliable. That round's got the speed everyone says makes the mono-metals really work.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine shoots 3/4" with factory 130 or 150 Weatherby SP (Hornady) loads.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd opt for the 130g NAB's over the BT's. Lee book says you can get 3500 fps with 7828 and 130g bullets. BT's are gonna be very explosive at .270 Wtby. velocities. Now that the Federal Trophy Bonded Tips are available as components, I'd look hard at those in 130g and 140g.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you get tired of it, I'll take it off your hands.

PS photobucket sucks, tried to load pics for 10 minutes .... no joy !

Last edited by JamesEssex; 08/05/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
172 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.