Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12188093 08/04/17
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Anyone have an update on the wildfires in BC? I've been told the smoke is spreading into the PNW.

Any highway impacts?

Links to fire maps?

Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

B
B
Here you go...
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status

Looking like a lot of us may have early season down the tank like 2003.

Longbows, single shot rifles, fly rods: Life is good.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ironbender;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust all is well with you and yours.

The situation is pretty fluid down here to say the least. We could use a little fluid from the sky actually.

As bcmtnmonkey said, it looks like our season might be cut back until the rains too as we've been kicked out of the bush for now.

Anyway if anyone is driving in BC at any time of year, this is the first site I recommend - http://www.drivebc.ca/

The other one that my fellow BC resident posted is very, very useful as well during the summer for sure.

Hope that helped and was useful to someone out there. All the best to you all this summer ironbender.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's very smoky down here. I've been keeping the men and women fighting those fires in my prayers. There ain't a tree alive that's worth the life of a wild land firefighter.

Stay safe neighbors!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The really disastrous fires started on I think it was July 7 when a lightening storm added over 100 fires to those in progress, making a total of about 250 wildfires. This morning a news story said that firefighters have it down to 129 wildfires, with the worst month of fire season still ahead. British Columbia extended a state of emergency again for the province yesterday, now till August 18.

A good friend of mine in the Chilcotin had his house burned to the ground in those first days. He barely had time to load his horse, have his wife grab grandkid photos and he grabbed his guns and his guitar. They stayed in the evacuated area as part of a local Indian Reserve and local ranchers fire fighting team that stayed to try and save other houses and barns. No mail, no phone, no services and no way in or out most of the time, roads restricted to emergency vehicles. Emergency services providing food. He and his wife are staying in a neighbor's old cabin. His son-in-law told me that much, and said, “He's got his girl, his guns and his guitar. What more could a man want?”

SIL tried to take in a 4x4 pickup and trailer load of emergency stuff via back logging roads but could not get through 10 days ago. He is trying again today. Big fine for anyone unauthorized in the restricted areas or on restricted roads so I assume he got a permission slip of some kind. Loooong way around to get there, way east, way north, then back west and south.

Over 40,000 people evacuated, whole towns, and some 9,000 still cannot go home. A whole village burned near Ashcroft and Cache Creek. At one point highways were closed in 15 places, including the Trans-Canada.

Small change compared to news that someone Trump knows may have talked to a Russian some time, so the BC fires don't get much coverage.

Four days ago the prevailing wind reversed from normal and started blowing SW toward the coast. So our town near the coast and near the US border has heavy overcast smoke above and ground visibility down to3/4 mile. NW WA State must be similar.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/05/17. Reason: spel Czech
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for the links gents.

I wish you luck. Stay safe.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. But my son is headed for one of the Montana fires on Monday. His first assignment as a firefighter. We are both proud and Anxious about him marching into danger.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kellory
No. But my son is headed for one of the Montana fires on Monday. His first assignment as a firefighter. We are both proud and Anxious about him marching into danger.

God bless him and I hope you and your wife can find peace until he's home where he belongs.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

kellory;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope all is well with you folks other than the angst with your son.

Our son-in-law's eldest brother is a BC Wildfire Fighter again this summer as he's done for a few now. They are well trained, fit and very savvy about what they're doing - as I'm sure the ones south of the medicine line are too - so even though it's tough and dangerous work for sure they're well prepared no doubt.

That said, I'll include your son and his crew in my prayers to keep the Wildfire Fighters safe on both sides of the medicine line this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you sir. I know they are well trained, but I also know they have lost 2 recently, being hit by falling limbs. You can only train for what you can control.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon related link

INCI web link

Can't offer any help on BC

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Finally cleared up here yesterday evening.... fires are getting eerily close to my moose hunting area come November... outfitter assures me were alright... hoping the best for the boys on the front lines...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its a bad scene up here, the fire fighters have done a good job in saving structures and I dont think anyone has lost their life as of yet. Massive fires burning through ranch country and killing alot of livestock and displacing thousands of people. It hasn't rained in months across the entire south of the province extending to the north. The heat has dried up vegetation making it tough for ranging cattle to find enough feed.
There is a ban on outdoor activities such as motorcycles, quads,etc because there are still enough idiots around using the bush while smoking, having campfires, cutting firewood, causing the government to impose a backcountry ban.

On the upside to all the fires will come a renewed forest bringing habitat for all the animals, period. Some of these area's have needed fire badly for 50 years or more, building a fire hazard that has never existed until recently.
No rain in sight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our local fires here in SE Oregon are out, but the areas smoked up like an inferno is coming over the horizon. Probably from you guys up north.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I saw my cousin at church yesterday and she said their cabin at Loon Lake was destroyed. It was just a summer cabin not a residence so not as devastating as those who have lost everything, but it's still a loss. Down here in the Fraser Valley there has been a lot of smoke and some really interesting orange sun- and moonrises and -sets. My gf in Bellingham WA has been getting some stunning pics, too, as the smoke has had the temerity to cross the border without permission.

Alas, the idiots are running amok unimpeded: Happy to be home, Williams Lake man fined for setting off fireworks

"It is careless acts such as this that have the real potential to trigger even more interface wildfires in the area," said Cpl. Jesse O'Donaghey in a release.

Officers say people called police early Saturday morning to complain about fireworks at a property near Carson Drive and Central Court.

Williams Lake RCMP says it found the man who was intoxicated with several empty fireworks canisters on his property.

Police say the Williams Lake resident admitted to setting off the fireworks to celebrate returning home after a recent evacuation order was lifted.

Police detained the man until he was not longer intoxicated.

He was fined more than $1,000 for for allegedly dropping, releasing or mishandling a burning substance, as well as for failing to comply with high risk activity restrictions under the provincial B.C. Wildfire Act and its regulations.

Police say they're thankful to people who called in the complaint.

"Had this man's actions been overlooked, the outcome could have been dire for the entire community," the release said.

​Williams Lake remains on an evacuation alert.

As someone on another forum commented, "The stupid is strong with this one."

Oops... this one as well:

The police in Merritt nabbed some tard that had soaked some grass with diesel and then was trying to light it with a cigarette. They sent him to Kamloops for a psychiatric evaluation. Hope this moron doesn't start a fire once he gets through the revolving door over there

Last edited by Stuart; 08/07/17.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We evacuated July 15th and just returned home last week. These fires are beyond description as there is no events in recent memory that matches what is happening now.

The shear cost once this is over will be staggering.

Here are some copies of posts I have made on other forums. The range in age from a month ago to current.

Sometimes the old girls get the job done.

~1960 Lockheed L-188 Electra laying down a control line near Cache Creek a couple of weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

RCMP officer rounding up a stray donkey near the 150 Mile House fire. Yes he was using crime scene tape as a rope. I should note that 2 differnt RCMP officers were the among the first families to loose their home in the 100 Mile House area when the first fire - human caused- broke out July 7th.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

This is what happens to your pickup when you get caught looting from your neighbors during an evacuation order.....

[Linked Image]

Our prime minister ........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cariboo; 08/12/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The historic Lee's Corner in the Chilcotin destroyed. This was at the start. of the Riske Creek fire. Over 600 square miles and countless structures lost since then.

[Linked Image]

Photo from CBC:

Lockheed L188 Electra dropping a load

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of her in her hanger:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another L-188 Electra. This one was dropping a load near 16 Mile (Cache Creek)

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...ebde26aab68805b7f8d0248c&oe=59C4BBD2[/img]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We now have the Canadian Armed Forces providing logistical support. wink

Since I originally posted this we now have close to 400 members of the Canadian Armed Forces assisting the RCMP at roadblocks and helping with evacuation orders. It is nice to see the sea of green and watching our tax dollars in action. There is also an additional ~500 RCMP officers working out of Williams Lake assisting our local detachments.

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...3aa03e782a3f667e5e3735ae&oe=5A041548[/img]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Help from everywhere coming in.

They sent boxes and boxes of supplies to the McLeese Lake VFD Command Centre!! These will be shared as far and as wide through the Cariboo as the roadblocks will allow us to.

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...385b6731911b4cfac94ba626&oe=5A05E246[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
620 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.