Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12107028 06/23/17
16penny Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
scooped a win 1885 .22lr half round half octagon cant seem to find any production #s
it will be good cheep practice for its big brother a browning 1885 7mm mag
does anyone have experience with one of these heavy .22 rifles

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is this a Miroku-made gun or an original Winchester? If the former it works just like your Browning, which is also a Miroku product, except for the rimfire ignition. Can't help with the production #s, but I know they have made "batches" of these rimfires over the years and they were introduced well after the centerfire versions. 1980s? They still make 'em; my .22WRM was made in 2015 (or at least that's when I bought it new).

The original Winchester rimfires were made from 1885 to 1920.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
16penny Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
yep there miroku made

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am curious how these compare against a comparable priced bolt action 22. Maybe RWS rifle or CCI std vel, good scope, good rest at 50 yards?

I was reading on another forum the early miruko 1885 22lr had sloppy chambers and the more recent guns might be tighter. Or is more of the same old, luck of the draw that we find with all guns. Seems rim fire more than most.

Last edited by fourbore; 06/24/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Based on the two CF specimens I have, I'd expect one to do well, provided the chamber is well done. Miroku makes good barrels.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had a few of the early Mirokus pass through my hands, and accuracy due to the bore is a crap shoot. My son has one that has been a tack driver, after a light lapping of the bore by a gunsmith who knew what he was doing. I have another that actually had steel chips ironed into the bore, likely from the reamed bore not being totally cleaned out before the rifling operation, so the "button" ironed the chips. Not good. I had the gunsmith reline it.

The comment about the chambers being sloppy may have been on point, although my son's has just the factory chamber.

Based on my experience, I would not take Miroku bore quality to the bank. If considering a used rifle, I'd want to see evidence of its accuracy. If you can buy one cheaply enough, relining is an option.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'd like to try one of the .22s; bet they shoot very well. I've have three cast bullet-only 1885s for years: a .32-40, .38-55 and a .405. All are quite accurate. Never a problem with chambers, bores or anything else.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't know if your centerfire Browning/Winchester/Mirokus are BPCRs with Badger barrels, but those are superb. I have two .40-65s and a .45-70.

Paul

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Paul-
I have no idea what barrels are on my rifles. Are they marked, maybe on the underside? My oldest rifle is a .38-55 Traditional Hunter purchased new in '97. The other two are newer guns if that makes any difference in what barrels they have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39
I have had a few of the early Mirokus pass through my hands, and accuracy due to the bore is a crap shoot. My son has one that has been a tack driver, after a light lapping of the bore by a gunsmith who knew what he was doing. I have another that actually had steel chips ironed into the bore, likely from the reamed bore not being totally cleaned out before the rifling operation, so the "button" ironed the chips. Not good. I had the gunsmith reline it.

The comment about the chambers being sloppy may have been on point, although my son's has just the factory chamber.

Based on my experience, I would not take Miroku bore quality to the bank. If considering a used rifle, I'd want to see evidence of its accuracy. If you can buy one cheaply enough, relining is an option.

Paul

Your experience is contrary to everything I've experienced or read about these rifles, and I read everything I see on them. Brian Pearce is a big fan, and had commented on the quality of Miroku barrels more than once. He's got a couple at least, as well as some B92s. Our own Mule Deer had a .243 and shot the barrel out shooting groups IIRC.

Just goes to prove that stuff happens, I suppose.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not necessarily contradictory. My reference was to .22 rimfire barrels on Miroku low walls of a certain era, as well as the Badger barreled BPCR high walls. Note my use of the word early. What you seem to be referencing are Mirokus in modern centerfire calibers. Could be different animals from different eras. I can only speak to my experience and that of others who have shot those .22 low walls in serious long range competition, and a gunsmith who specializes in vintage single shots and has bore scoped many, including mine.

Your references speak well for the quality of at least some of the Mirokus, and most hopefully current production.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Hornet was purchased new in 2000 and the .44 Mag is a bit earlier, but I acquired it NIB last year (still see a few, mostly Low Walls, NIB on GB). My other was a .45/70 B78 I traded for in the late 80s. That one was only fired with the buckhorn sights, and had the worst recoil of anything I've ever fired, and I think my memories of it have been suppressed as a defense mechanism.

The Hornet wears a Vari-X II 3-9, and may be the most consistently accurate rifle I own, under 1/2" for 5 shots with 40gr VMaxes over 11.1gr of H110 and either CCI 500 or F100GM primers, seated way out.

When did they start making RFs? I don't recall any during the Browning period, only Winchester marked ones.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/05/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm sure you are correct that the .22s were all Winchester branded. I grouped the Winchesters and Brownings together because the 1885s were made and branded variously with both marks, particularly the BPCRs that I am most familiar with. I don''t recall exactly when the early Miroku .22 low walls were made and then discontinued. Maybe late 1980s or early 1990s? I have only one .22 left, and it has been rebarrelled, so that really doesn't count relative to the factory barrels. It is otherwise mostly original, with a couple of minor modifications. It is probably my favorite rifle.

My son is in the process of ordering a full custom low wall .22 on an original action, and when it is complete he will probably sell his Winchester/Miroku .22. Somebody will get a really nice, exceptionally accurate example of that rifle.

Paul

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think any "Winchesters" were sold until Browning stopped selling theirs around the early 2000s. Then came the Winchesters, then new Brownings marked "B78", but actually the newer 1885 design. Those may still be in production, along with whatever Winchester is selling.

The Holy Grail for me would be one of the 1885 High Wall Traditional Hunters in .30WCF or .38/55, to go with my .44. Never seen one for sale. Another good one would be a Browning LW .243 or (drool) .260. Wood quality and finish, and metal polish on the Brownings has been superior to any of the Winchesters I've seen. Both of mine are very nice.

Speaking of .22s, a guy at the range Wednesday had an original Ballard that had been converted to .22 at some time in the distant past. The forend on the right side just in front of the receiver had a protrusion with holes drilled to hold cartridges. Never saw that before. He said it shot just about any ammunition very well.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.