Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12191382 08/06/17
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
The blade holder/stump jumper is not tight to the shaft. I can push up or pull down on it and there is a lot of play. The shaft itself isn't moving. I wonder if there is something like a washer or bushing that has broken off ? The blade holder nut is flush with the output shaft so it doesn't appear to be loose.

This is one of these "good deals" I found for $350.

Anybody have a parts breakdown. I can't find one yet.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
See if this link helps. Good luck. Look on page 11 for the blade holder removal and installation.

http://www.bushhog.com/uploads/documents/BHRotaryCutter305-306OM-03.pdf

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 08/06/17.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
See if this link helps. Good luck. Look on page 11 for the blade holder removal and installation.

http://www.bushhog.com/uploads/documents/BHRotaryCutter305-306OM-03.pdf

Thanks. I have that already. What I can't find is an illustrated parts breakdown. I need to see what is supposed to be where.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just went through all that with my center cutter on my 15' shredder. frown

20 cent cotter pin cost me a smooth grand...

The nut retaining cotter pin fell out and allowed the nut to fall off, and my stump jumper came off at full speed. Of course it spun under a side cutter and got hammered. mad

If the stump jumper is loose, it can vibrate. Prolonged vibration can wear the shaft bearings out pretty quick. When those go, you are looking at a new shaft too.

It could be, in your case that the stump jumper was loose at one point, and wore off the interlocking ridges between the shaft and stump jumper. If those ridged cogs are worn where the shaft meets the stump jumper, you probably need to get a new stump jumper. (The shaft steel is harder, and the cogs are more likely worn on the jumper.)

Hope you don't need any of the above. The stump jumper alone for mine was $500. eek

My assy was a nut and a thick washer tightened on the shaft. That washer was nearly 1/4" thick ahead of the shaft nut.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The 306 has a tapered shaft with a key way. There should be just a lock washer and left handed nut below the stump jumper. With nothing above it except the seal.The key may be broken or missing? Messick`s sells all the parts and have exploded views of the gear box and body.

These are very good cutters I am still using one that my Dad bought in 1967. I had to change the output seal and replace a little decking in June of this year. That was the first things other than greasing and changing u-joints that I have done to it.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mch
The 306 has a tapered shaft with a key way. There should be just a lock washer and left handed nut below the stump jumper. With nothing above it except the seal.The key may be broken or missing? Messick`s sells all the parts and have exploded views of the gear box and body.

These are very good cutters I am still using one that my Dad bought in 1967. I had to change the output seal and replace a little decking in June of this year. That was the first things other than greasing and changing u-joints that I have done to it.

Just what I needed. Hopefully the key is ok. The cutter was working. I was just going to sharpen the blades and when I grabbed them the holder tilted. I was pretty sure that was not supposed to happen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, it shouldn't have much wiggle to it at all.

Different shredders have different systems, but the premise is the same about what keeps 'em working.

MCH, my Woods has a tapered shaft as well, but multiple cogs that fit in the grooves on the stump jumper. (probably because it's the HD version.

Still... it relies on a cotter pin to hold it all in place. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
On IH combine out augers, they use a hard stainless steel cotter pin. About 5 bucks, but the notion is for the pin to take a lot of stress.
You might look into a cotter pin like that?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
On IH combine out augers, they use a hard stainless steel cotter pin. About 5 bucks, but the notion is for the pin to take a lot of stress.
You might look into a cotter pin like that?

Actually, the nut is pretty flush with the shaft.

I'm thinking of tacking a weld bead between the nut and shaft. I could always use a Dremel to grind that little weld off.

I'm afraid stainless would break off. (Not that a standard cotter pin didn't..)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you talking about laying down a bead on the shaft? I would be very cautious about welding on a shaft, depending on the alloy and hardness of the shaft welding on a bead can cause sufficient stresses to cause the shaft to crack at the weld.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Right at the very end of the shaft, and a small bead the size of a small pea over to the downside of the nut.

I don't think it'll mess with the integrity of the steel with a small bridge.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mch

Hmmm. No lock washer installed on mine. Me thinks that is a problem. Probably broke off at some point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would cause the wobble. wink

But, I think you need to check the shaft and stump jumper...

If it's been missing that washer, and the setup has a slot and key system, it may be worn to the point of not catching and holding properly. I hope that's not the case, but it could be. Might as well drop the stump jumper and check those when you get the washer to install.

Last edited by rockinbbar; 08/07/17.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I am going to drop it all off. The grease seal is shot. After I bought it, I check the gearbox oil and it was low lol. I went to add some and it ran out as fast as I put it in. For now I pumped in 3 cartridges of grease. Hopefully the shaft and all is still ok. We will see. You have to keep in mind I paid 350 and have all of 500 in it so far. That bushog still commands upwards of $1000 in used serviceable condition. It has a 90hp gearbox and weighs 1100lbs It is not your generic light duty shredded.

Last edited by WeimsnKs; 08/07/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 6' shredder is much the same way. Heavy duty.

My guess is your shaft bearings at the bottom of the gearbox are needing replacing along with the seal. Probably why the seal is out?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

My guess is your shaft bearings at the bottom of the gearbox are needing replacing along with the seal. Probably why the seal is out?

My guess ( hope) is something like barbedwire, twine or a stick jumped up and knocked the seal out. One way or another, I will fix it. I just hope the shaft is not damaged. I can bring it to work and have it fixed but then I have to disassemble the gearbox. Oh well, such is life when you buy used.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

My guess ( hope) is something like barbedwire, twine or a stick jumped up and knocked the seal out. One way or another, I will fix it. I just hope the shaft is not damaged. I can bring it to work and have it fixed but then I have to disassemble the gearbox. Oh well, such is life when you buy used.

New too. whistle

Bought mine new 2 1/2 years ago...

You actually use something and it'll be giving you headaches sooner or later...

This stuff isn't fun or cheap to fix though...
Of course my warranty was out by about 4 months...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well I got it all back together. I replaced the shaft seal but when I removed it, I found another one deeper in. I can tell it is damaged just by looking at it. Oh well , a winter project. I added the missing washer above the main nut, cleaned up the keyway, replaced the key , cleaned up the blades, reinstalled everything and the blade holder sucked up nice and tight. I ran it today for about an hour and it cut very well. Not bad for $20 in parts and a little bit of labor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad you got it up and running.

Is it holding gear lube now?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.