Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Bert, do you have to use steel shot for upland hunting up there in Canada where you hunt?

Good question. I wouldn't want to let steel shot anywhere near Jonathan Browning's finest.......

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"I wouldn't want to let steel shot anywhere near Jonathan Browning's finest......."

Soft steel barrels?

Previously I have used steel in my Beretta and Fausti O/Us. Simply put I refuse to shoot lead through any bird I intend to put on the table - my choice. As a matter of fact, I have not used anything less than copper bullets on deer for about a decade now too. Same reasoning.

Last edited by olgrouser; 08/10/17.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by olgrouser
I have previously used steel in my Beretta and Fausti. Simply put I refuse to shoot lead through any bird I intend to put on the table - my choice.

As a matter of fact, I have not used anything less than copper bullets on deer either for about a decade now. Same reasoning.

I've got to hear this theory...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have you seen bird flesh discolored by lead shot? I don't care for it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lead compounds are very toxic.

Elemental lead (metal) generally passes thru the digestive system, not that big a problem.

Steel shot will probably crack a tooth easier than lead shot.

IMO, teeth are the biggest hazard to shot in game.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/10/17.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Have you seen bird flesh discolored by lead shot? I don't care for it.

That would more likely be the gray graphite used as a coating. Almost all the penetration holes I see on Grouse show no evidence of either lead or graphite. Just a hole with perhaps some red surrounding.

Last edited by battue; 08/10/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Elemental lead (metal) generally passes thru the digestive system, not that big a problem.

IMO, teeth are the biggest hazzard to shot in game.

DF

If you handload shotshells you will get more lead exposure in a single setting, than by eating a lifetime of lead killed Birds.

In addition, I know guys who have handloaded shotshells for decades. Handling lead and breathing in the dust that comes off them. Some have thought it wise to be tested for exposure. No problems.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Well, I guess you guys don't know any Browning collectors then................

And you would be correct in a way. Difference being they are not users of their pristine examples. They have their circle, and place value on different criteria. However, the fact is that shotgun will sell as is for $2800-3500 and most of them would buy it for $2800 and then turn it for a profit.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Then I should feel really good since I paid less than $1K US for the little gem. smile

Again: old stock / NIB. This is a link for the identical shotgun for 3K for devout collectors:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/678583490

Have at it. You should be able to negotiate a better price. wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If the seller is patient it will sell for 3. However, it looks like he is a dealer. Probably has around 2, maybe a little more in it. Unless he is a plick, then less. Unlike us, they are in it for reasons other than fun.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Well, I guess you guys don't know any Browning collectors then................

And you would be correct in a way. Difference being they are not users of their pristine examples. They have their circle, and place value on different criteria. However, the fact is that shotgun will sell as is for $2800-3500 and most of them would buy it for $2800 and then turn it for a profit.

I agree 100% with that. We lived in the little berg of Chester, NJ back in the day. There was a noted Browning collector who also lived there at the time. He traveled to the big gun shows in Reno, etc and the big high end auctions (James Julia, Rock Island, etc) when there was something that interested him. Talked to him at the LGS, from time to time.

My point was that his definition of "LNIB" and the OP's definition of "LNIB" are quite far apart. Perhaps I didn't make that point very artfully. And I certainly meant no disrespect to anybody.

NB

Last edited by Natty_Bumpo; 08/11/17.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"My point was that his definition of "LNIB" and the OP's definition of "LNIB" are quite far apart. Perhaps I didn't make that point very artfully. And I certainly meant no disrespect to anybody."

Some days it seems us old farts got nothing better to do than pick the fly [bleep] outta pepper or split hairs if you rather. I'm not offended on my part.

I used the term LNIB loosely to refer to appearances: "LIKE NIB" in regards to the factory refurbished condition of the firearm as it sits now and the fact that it came not only with the beat up original factory box and also included was the correspondence between original owner and Browning Canada and said work order. As I stated earlier, the piece was bought as a mechanically and cosmetically restored shooter and it will be going with me to New Brunswick this fall to hunt birds.

To contrast my firearm, I posted a link to a TRUE NIB example of the identical Superposed. Some guys at the Savage Collectors Forum would be raising stones by now and calling me a heretic for daring to speak so flagrantly. smile

Cheers.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
NB

You are one of the good guys around here. We all know it and there is no reason for any of us to take offense.

Best wishes for a safe and memorable fall Bird season.

Bud has one just like this one with a field forend. (Which I would prefer for a Grouse Gun.) It was his Fathers and both of them die hard Grouse hunters. No many shotguns can say it has put as many Pa. Ruffed Grouse into a game coat.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

IMO, teeth are the biggest hazzard to shot in game.

DF

If you handload shotshells you will get more lead exposure in a single setting, than by eating a lifetime of lead killed Birds.

In addition, I know guys who have handloaded shotshells for decades. Handling lead and breathing in the dust that comes off them. Some have thought it wise to be tested for exposure. No problems.

Yep, especially if the shot has oxidized and is dusty.

Wearing a mask isn't a bad idea.

Casting bullets is probably as bad if not worse.

DF

Edited to add, normal people spell hazzard with only one "Z"... blush

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/10/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It's the lead exposure.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Bud has one just like this one with a field forend. (Which I would prefer for a Grouse Gun.) It was his Fathers and both of them die hard Grouse hunters. No many shotguns can say it has put as many Pa. Ruffed Grouse into a game coat.

One thing about the Superposed, it's one tough piece of machinery.

No telling how many desert quail the Major's old Super has taken. And it locks up perfectly tight, no evidence of many decades of use.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kingston

It's the lead exposure.

laugh

Could be... wink

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In that particular 20Ga, 28in barrels are where it is at. I've been tempted on a couple. the last one not that long ago. Chokes? Whatever. In fact a Mod and Full would be my first preference.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think it meets the criteria of LNIB- "Like" New In Box. smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
In that particular 20Ga, 28in barrels are where it is at. I've been tempted on a couple. the last one not that long ago. Chokes? Whatever. In fact a Mod and Full would be my first preference.

I agree with 28" barrels, 12 ga. included.

The Major's 12 ga. Super posted above has 28" barrels and he knew some stuff about shotguns and how they handle.

I have 26" and 28" Supers, like the 28"s better, even for fast handling.

Df

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 66 invisible), 3,452 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.