Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
For 15 years I have been happy with my old Danner's 800 gram insulated boots that are now wore out. The new ones do not fit like the old and I do not care for the way they are made now so I am thinking of the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes 10" Waterproof 400 Gram Insulated Hunting Boot.

I need a size 13 EE boot which ruled out several other boots I checked out. Any reviews?

Ted
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like mine, durable, well made, have'em about 5 years and have gone up in price quite a bit since then. I was wearing lightweight boots ( danner pronghorns was one) for a while but feet we.re taking a beating on rougher terrain so I went to leather with a thicker stiffer sole. Still wear the pronghorns occasionally but only bird hunting fields or if not walking much. For climbing the mountains the kenetreks get to go or if I need uninsulated my cabelas denali boots. I would look at cabelas meindl boots as well, cheaper and well made also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they fit you well, I think they are darn good boots! Mine didn't fit as well as some other makes/models so I doubt I'll be going back to them, but I thought they were well built!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the stiffest, hardest-on-my-feet boots I've ever had. Not a fan, but everyone's feet are different. And for all the 2nd tier, knock-off components they use (soles, wp-breathable laminate), they're entirely too expensive.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bought mine a week before sheep season in 2012. I was worried about blisters without a break-in period but had none. They stayed dry inside crossing streams and didn't seem too warm even though it was 65 above during the day. However, in the winter they are very warm.

I started wearing them daily a couple years ago just because they are so comfortable. Probably will have to replace them this year as work has worn them pretty well.

Only boot I have liked more were Italian made Vasques back in the early 90's.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sounds like their are many folks who like them, my hunting partners all like Schnees but they do not show a 13 EE and Kenetrek does.

Ted
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Two pairs in house, one pair is insulated, one pair is not. Easy fit out of the box, no blisters from rubbing, and a PITA to break in over time.

The insulated pair has at least couple hundred miles - probably more - on them, and are well-broken in, but it took at least 50 miles to get to the slipper-feeling when you pull them on.

For the insulated, they were too hot for me in early season hunts, with a heavy sock, the boots and my feet stayed wet. I swapped socks in the mid-day, let them sit out for a few hours, and they still stayed wet as soon as I put them back on.

The non-insulated set has 40-50 miles on them, and are just now starting to "feel good" when I start out. I've stayed quite a bit drier in these, and I will probable use these as primary boots for the Fall hunts this year.

YMMV.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Also not a really big fan. Have had both the Mountain extremes and Hard scrabble hikers. Both took forever to break in, and frankly never really did after hundreds of miles and years of wear. In other words the sole always seemed too stiff for me. I've got very normal/average feet and they just never felt comfortable to me. YMMV. Now I will say they are tough as nails, however after 8 years the soles and rands on my Hard scrabbles have started to delaminate from the boot... and they are sort of heavy and on the expensive side. I don't wear either of them anymore anyway. Now with that being said, I know a lot of guys who have them and swear by them. It really just comes down to the individual. I now wear Solomon quest 4D or Asollo in the early to mid season, then move to my Kenetrek Grizzly packers for late season. I love the Grizzlies, I can hike all day long in them and pack heavy loads in rough terrain. Boots are like women, sometimes you've just gotta drop the coin and wear them out too find out if they are right for you!

God Bless America!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I bought a pair of Mountain Extremes in 2009, and they fit me well enough that they were totally comfortable with very little break-in. Wore them in early fall on a black/grizzly bear hunt in interior Alaska, and they were just right for the temperatures encountered, and in two weeks of hunting I was the only guy I hunted with (one friend and two guides) who had dry feet the entire time. Still wearing them for colder weather hunting in Montana, but wear a pair of non-insulated Meindl's for warmer hunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think this will be my 6th (or is it 7th) season for my Kenetrek ME's. I've used them for elk hunting in CO for several years, as well as deer hunting in SD and OK. They are still going strong and remain the most comfortable insulated boot that I own. When temps are much below 20 degrees for extended periods and stalking can kept to a minimum, I use, and really like my Kenetrek Grizzly pac's. Both pairs will be taken this year on my first 3rd season rifle hunt in CO.

I will say that my Mountain Extremes did take a while to break in but, the end results made the process well worth the effort. As I recall, I broke them while training for one of my first mountain hunts. If I remember, it took around 50 miles or so of hiking for break in with only minor hot spots but, no blisters that I recall. Boot fit is always personal but, Kenetreks have proven to be comfortable and really fit me well.

My foot size is pretty normal. I wear a size 11 medium width boot but, I do have a fairly narrow heel width. Kenetreks really fit me well. I have also had great results with Asolo non-insulated boots. I use them for turkey hunting, hog hunting and early season (bow and black powder) deer hunting in Ok and elsewhere . Kenetrek's and Asolo's boots fit me well and have been favorite hunting boots for the past several years. I really wish that Asolo still made their Sasslong boot model as they are comfortable, well built boots.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for the input guys, these will be my cold weather boot I have a non insulated boot for mt CA hunting.

Ted
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I love them....

Only boot I've had last me more than a season and I've tried some good ones....

Really good on inclines and declines.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have both the mountain extreme and hard scrabble hikers. Never had a blister in either. great boots in my opinion.

I bought them from their ebay store. mildly used and returned, almost brand new and a heck of a lot cheaper

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kennetrek boots seperate themselves from the pack once you hit the mountains. They are designed for mountain travel. The extra stiff sole makes sidehilling on steeps much easier. The overall beefy construction of the boot is extremely helpful and noticeable when lugging up or down steeps with a heavy pack full of meat. They are not a fairweather boot, and hunters who are strolling through a pine forest or river bottom may consider them too stiff or too much boot. Hunters who are hauling 70 lb packs up steep rocky inclines like the boot. Lots of hunters here love them, and many sheep and goat hunters will buy nothing else. These had about 1000 miles in serious wet rugged terrain on them when I retired them for a new identical pair. [Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I get way to much heel slippage with mine. Seems that is a problem lots of guys have had. I went to Crispi boots and they ARE SO MUCH BETTER.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Midwayusa emailed me that my 13 EE's were on the way, from the various boots I tried the Extreme's seemed to be a true wide boot which is a major reason I went with them.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love mine.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anybody have trouble with the rand peeling loose on their Hardscrabble K-treks?

Mine was coming loose in quite a few spots on both boots after fairly low use. K-Trek sent me some glue that seems to be holding so far... My brother had the same problem with his a month after buying.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a pair for about five years now, haven't seen a ton of miles but they fit well and very supportive.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Brad]One of the stiffest, hardest-on-my-feet boots I've ever had. Not a fan, but everyone's feet are different. And for all the 2nd tier, knock-off components they use (soles, wp-breathable laminate), they're entirely too expensive.[/quote

This^. Everyone's feet are shaped different. I've wore out two pairs of them. One pair was fine, the other pair was junk.

Overrated, and way over priced. I switched to Meindl. Better boot, better value.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

373 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 1,607 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,682
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.