Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12194191 08/08/17
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was late to the .243 party. I wanted one pretty badly (6mm Remington, really), but always ended up with something else for one reason or another. I finally picked up a nice older Sako about four years ago and killed a deer with it, but that went when I invited my sons over one day to pick something out from my small pile, along with my pre-64 .270. I quickly replaced it with a leftover Hawkeye All Weather that had a great trigger, but some issues with the floppy stock. I was going to do something about that, but then Whittakers came up with a run of fast-twist Number 1Vs at a killer price, so one of those was put on layaway and the Hawkeye sold at a bearable loss. I shot the No.1 last week and it looks like a winner, but it's pretty heavy for walking around, so I'm thinking of getting a lighter rifle for woods walking. I'm sitting on a pile of 6mm bullets picked up from SPS and on sale elsewhere, probably more than enough to toast the barrel of the No.1.

Along comes the 6mm Creedmoor, with its nice case design and standard fast-twist barrels, but almost no selection of rifles. It runs neck and neck with the .243 velocity-wise, but has the same advantages the 6.5 has over the .260. I suspect it might also have somewhat better barrel life than a .243, and am almost positive that it won't need trimming nearly as often. My dilemma is, should I pick up an American Predator 6mm CM (and suppress my gag impulse a bit), buy a nice light .243 like the close-out Marlins and not sweat the barrel twist since most good hunting bullets work well in a 1-10 or 1-9, or wait and hope for a more seemly CM to come to market? I don't really want to go through the painful and expensive build process.

Thoughts?

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B6

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just my $.02 but it sounds like you have a rifle to hunt with so this isn't any real emergency. From your post it sounds as if you have a hankering for a pretty nice rifle and a rar or something similar would be settling. I've done that in the past and never really kept any of those rifles as the thrill of something new wore off. I guess we all settle to an extent as demonstrated by the absence of any graded Fox or Parkers small bores in my safe but I think you will be happier waiting for what you really want.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What you need is the genuine article. A 6mm Remington.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bangeye
Just my $.02 but it sounds like you have a rifle to hunt with so this isn't any real emergency. From your post it sounds as if you have a hankering for a pretty nice rifle and a rar or something similar would be settling. I've done that in the past and never really kept any of those rifles as the thrill of something new wore off. I guess we all settle to an extent as demonstrated by the absence of any graded Fox or Parkers small bores in my safe but I think you will be happier waiting for what you really want.

Only hurry is the availability of the cheap Marlins, if that were the way I wanted to go. One of those could easily be fitted with a CM barrel by say, Shaw, and the original kept as a spare. You're right about settling, though. Was thinking the same thing myself.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
What you need is the genuine article. A 6mm Remington.

If I were building, that would get strong consideration. The CM though, is a better choice for long, skinny bullets, the same as the parent case is in the 6.5 world, assuming the use of a short bolt action. Single shots can swallow whatever the throat allows.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wouldn't buy the Predator,because you are really wanting a light weight rifle. I know it's a lot of money but I think you really want the Barrett Fieldcraft 243. Other than that I would buy a Tikka Superlight or a Kimber Montana.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I grabbed one of the 243 All Weather Rugers from CDNN or Galley of Guns awhile back. 9 Twist does well with most of the heavier bullets. Really sings with the hunting bullets like Partitions and Accubonds. I think they were clearing them out for 400 bucks. The 6mm CM would be my choice were I rebarreling it but I believe I'll shoot it as is for the moment.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The one I had was a winner, aside from the floppy stock, but it had to go to finance the very cool 1-7.7 twist Number 1. If it was still in the shop where I sold it, it would be on the list.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought one of the 243 Marlins a few years ago in a pawn shop for a friend as a first deer rifle. After working up a load for it, I decided the next one I found would be mine! They are just really great little rifles, especially for the price. That 243 shot fantastic with 95gr NBTs, and what else do you really need for a hunting rifle?

I've got a 22-250 and 7mm-08 in my safe, and the 243s on closeout are really tempting. You can't go wrong with one for the price.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The current Rifle magazine has an excellent article on 6.5 cartridges by one of my top writers, Dave Scovill. Pappy348, I would read it and buy the 6mm Rem you always wanted. I have a 1965ish 700 BDL in 6mm Rem that is a tack driver and such a joy to shoot. Life is simple without worrying about BC's and shots past 300 yards. Range and twirl a turret when necessary.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
All this talk about the 6mm made me sit down and load 50 cases with my favorite deer poison, the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. I almost feel sorry for the crop damaging venison donors...

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Assuming I can get them to shoot, I'm using E-Tips this year, if the No. 1 makes it into the rotation.

If they don't shoot, I've got Partitions, Accubonds, and some of those 95s you like too. Sumptin's gotta work.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
At the price of the x7 from cdnn you cant go wrong. Buy it shoot it and if you decide it is not for you move it down the road. As for barrel life in a 243 I have been shooting the same 700 since 1964 and I did a round count, as best I could, and come up in the area of 4500-5000 and it still shoots very well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I love the 6mm cartridges as well, my first centerfire rifle was an old Parker Hale that I bought at 18 years of age with my own money. Still love the .243 and have a few of them in the safe, but I've started to gravitate to the smaller 6mm cartridges. I've been shooting the 6X47 (6mm-222 Rem Mag) for almost 10 years now awesome performance out of a little case, only complaint is I'm limited on bullets by a slow twist. Pretty soon I should have a 6X45 once it gets back from the Ceracoate applicator, it has a 1:7 twist X-Caliber barrel on it and I picked up nearly 1000 Sierra PH 100 grain bullets for $40 awhile back that I'm going to try through this rifle also have 500 Speer 80 grain HC bullets if the Sierra's don't work.

The 6mm CM has my interest as well, but it's hard to beat a plain old .243 Win for general purpose deer, pronghorn, coyote, and occasional varmint rifle. The CM is a lot more specialized to long range shooting than the .243, though the old .243 is plenty capable of it in the right rifle. I don't know what the Marlin XS used for a twist rate, but the M700 and the Savage 10 both have a twist rate fast enough to stabilize the old 105 A-Max and BTHP from Hornady and you can send those a long ways. I was interested in the .243 Competition Match as well that Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc. is hot about, but since the 6mm CM is now commercial I'd probably just opt for it over the .243 CM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmm. If you're wanting to stay inexpensive, hard to beat the closeout Marlins. Could buy one of those in .243 and when the barrel is shot out, rebarrel in 6CM. To buy an inexpensive Marlin and immediately rebarrel doesn't sound efficient to me.

I like the sound of the 6CM, too, but I won't buy a rifle in that chambering because I already have a couple of .243s with a lot of life left in them. When accuracy detriorates, I'll have to decide what to do. If the culprit is throat erosion, could probably have a smith set the barrel back and rechamber it in 6CM (or .243 AI) for less than a new barrel. But I'm a long way from having to make that decision.

If I didn't already own the .243s, I'd be looking seriously at the 6CM.

Last edited by Legionnaire; 08/09/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
All your options have merit but get what you really want. I have several 243s and won't change them but after years of wanting one I am finally doing a 6mmAI. Will it greatly out perform the others, probably not. But since each rifle has it's own dedicated ammo it will be easy to keep the 6AI separate. And I can play with the 115 grainers if I choose to.

For me a Browning low wall .243 fits the light weight niche and is a joy to carry. If buying new I would look long and hard at the Barret and forego the bargain rifles that may loose their appeal fairly quick. If miraculously I shot out the 243s all at once then the 6CM might get the nod.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Daughter confiscated my PF Win. Model 70 Featherweight in 6mm Rem. several years ago. So, I used that as an excuse to buy a No. 1B in 6mm Rem. It shot 105g Speer SP's into about 0.5" at 3145 fps avg. Luckily I have several hundred of those now discontinued little gems. No fleas on any of the 6mm's imo.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could always have the 1-V deep fluted to cut weight...what's the barrel length? If 26 whack 4 inches.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
All your options have merit but get what you really want. I have several 243s and won't change them but after years of wanting one I am finally doing a 6mmAI. Will it greatly out perform the others, probably not. But since each rifle has it's own dedicated ammo it will be easy to keep the 6AI separate. And I can play with the 115 grainers if I choose to.

For me a Browning low wall .243 fits the light weight niche and is a joy to carry. If buying new I would look long and hard at the Barret and forego the bargain rifles that may loose their appeal fairly quick. If miraculously I shot out the 243s all at once then the 6CM might get the nod.

Ditto on the Low Wall. My Hornet is probably my favorite rifle. A matching .243 would be sweet. I see them from time to time on GB, but not when I had the bucks, yet anyway. I did have the money when a NIB Traditional Hunter .44 appeared, and now it ain't NIB anymore!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
You could always have the 1-V deep fluted to cut weight...what's the barrel length? If 26 whack 4 inches.

I'd just as soon shorten my winky (well, almost).

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
508 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 48 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.