Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
OK, here it is from an 80 year old retired gunsmith. Number one, if he is good, he is going to be very busy so have a little patience but get an estimate of a completion date with a little slack. Number two, just like people in any profession you have good and bad. Talk to folks who have used his or hers (yes there are some pretty good gals) services to get an idea of their reputation. A good way to do this if you are not a local is go to the local gun range and see if you can get an honest opinion on the type of person you will be dealing with. And last but not least, be aware of an extremely low price for the work you want to have done. A good honest gunsmith knows what his time and efforts are worth so they charge accordingly but a bad one needs anything they can get. Unfortuantly, I can tell you horror stories that I ran into with customer over the years. In this case with this smith, I would be very apprehensive at this point.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have dealt with 5 gunsmiths in my life 3 absolutely sucked on workmanship and communication. 1 was marginal at best and 1 was decent. Dealing with the 1 that was decent was a big breath of fresh air for me.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OP, sorry to hear you are going through this and I hope it works out for you.

To others reading this: I have used Clay Spencer of Scottsville, VA twice in the recent past for re-barrel jobs with great satisfaction and very fast turnaround.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Most of my work has been done by engineers or tradesmen of some ability and technical skill...I have also run into a couple that seemed to believe they were 'artistes', that loved to believe they were 'special'.

I prefer the fellows that can actually do as I ask with no fuss, and I prefer someone else deal with the ones that believe their own bullshit.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think some of you are missing the point here, or else you just love to call posters names, which is probably the case in one instance anyway. The OP has been told that the work has been completed and the guns are boxed up and ready to ship, but the gunsmith doesn't have the money to ship them back. The gunsmith can't come up with $50, or maybe $75.......BS. he isn't worrying anybody, he just wants his guns returned to him. If the gunsmith is legit, then he had to log the guns into his FFL firearms acquisition and disposition record book, that EVERY one that holds an FFL must do. If he acquires a firearm to work on, and it's not disposed of properly, that's an ATF violation.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by deflave

You probably call every five minutes. "Is it ready? Is it ready?"

Dave

While I agree pestering a busy man delays the work getting finished, if he tells you it's finished but "doesn't have the money to ship"...that would scare the chiit out of me. Then he quits responding after you offer to pay the shipping charges on your dime ?, that's a red flag if you're hoping to see the guns again.

Yes I am in complete agreement.

However; in my experience people that pester the fugk out of gunsmiths, knife makers, and taxidermists usually end up with those type of responses. Not saying that is the case with the OP, but it is very common.

I forgot about Class III guys too. I'd say the more phone calls you make the less they give a fugk about you receiving your product.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn Jorge that was a long read

Glad you made out ok

Moral of the story: don't f with fighter pilots

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Originally Posted by Horsefly80
What can you do if he won't return your rifles. I have been told for weeks they are done and boxed but he does not have money to ship. ( shipping cost were in the price) so I offered to cover cost just to be done, now he will not return messages. Is there anything I can do, or do I just have to wait?

You could drop in for a visit.

That would be my 1st. 2nd, and 3rd choice.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Out of state and I am working overtime, don't have time for a road trip.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
He sent me a email today, said they will be too me early next week. I am not going to out him yet, and I do have patience. But what drives me nuts is not following through and excuses for every thing.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Makes me wonder if he's on the fire. Keep us apprised of this. I'd like to see it come to a successful resolution.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Joe.
After you received your guns, post pictures of them

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
He said I would have them early this week, have not heard anything yet

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wouldn't happen to be Diablo Custom Rifles would it? There are MANY folks on here including myself waiting on work.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This thread is like the Chinese army.

LOL
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Wouldn't happen to be Diablo Custom Rifles would it? There are MANY folks on here including myself waiting on work.

Many you say?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He said I would have them early this week, have not heard anything yet

Still no guns showed up ?,,,another 2 weeks of lying.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.