Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
ctpa61 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Looking for some real world experiences with this bullet of game as big as elk. I got a new rifle that shoots these into tiny groups, and getting a velocity of 3150. I have used the Barnes ttxs 120s with good results on elk but this rifle will only do about 1.5 inches with them. Let me know what you have killed with this bullet and how it worked for you,

Thanks,
CT

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try contacting Steve Timm aka-dogzapper on here. He knows that bullet and it's capabilities very well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Clear threw an elk with a 7 Mag.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My wife shot a big doe at 19 yards once. Impact velocity was about 2950fps. Went through a full stomach, exploded the liver. and came to rest against the offside skin.Recovered bullet was about 0.6" and weighed 95gr. It also punches clean through antelope at 400 yards.

I'd still prefer the TTSX on elk. You are talking a 6" group at 400 yards with a 1.5" group at 100. Been years since my health allowed me to hunt them, but I still remember elk being pretty large animals.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
ctpa61 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
True ive never recovered a ttsx yet on anything Ive shot with them

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I saw one perform flawlessly out of a 7mm-08 on an enormous cow elk last november at around 280yds. I wasn't convinced until I witnessed the results. I had it in my head that it was a varmint bullet up until the shot.

In one side, blasted through both lungs with significant damage and a 1.5'' exit wound.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd pick the one that gave me the most confidence then forget about groups size and start climbing every hill in sight with a pack on and practice shooting from realistic elk shooting field positions.

Last edited by Ralphie; 08/08/17.
C
ctpa61 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Ralphie I been doing just that. I don't think you can ever get into good enough shape for elk hunting, especially in Idaho.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If a little second hand real world experience can be inserted..........................................................

I've posted the results of my .257 fallow/red cull already; but what might be useful is that my partner on the hunt used a 7mm WSM with 120 NBTs; loaded at 3500 plus with a bunch of RL19.

For whatever reason he hadn't realized that reds were on the table and that caused a bit of initial concern. He needn't have worried though, the little bullet proved to be a decisive killer of everything he pointed it at. I know he ordered another 500 as soon as we got home.

Much of bullet selection is a complex process, with a bit of experience, a bit of advice, a lot of hearsay, a bit of research (which often boils down to more hearsay), whatever the magazine article and its ad on the opposing page said, what shoots the best, and tempered by what would work the best if you had to shoot a rhinoceros.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

Much of bullet selection is a complex process, with a bit of experience, a bit of advice, a lot of hearsay, a bit of research (which often boils down to more hearsay), whatever the magazine article and its ad on the opposing page said, what shoots the best, and tempered by what would work the best if you had to shoot a rhinoceros.

LOL, very true!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run it at 3325 out of my .280AI and we have used it on 20 or so deer from 15 steps to 300 yards and they have all been DRT and we have yet to have a bullet not completely penetrate a deer.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

DELETED

Last edited by dogzapper; 08/09/17.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

C
ctpa61 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank You Dogzapper, just what I was looking for. Lord willing I will be able to share a pic or two of my success after the season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by ctpa61
Thank You Dogzapper, just what I was looking for. Lord willing I will be able to share a pic or two of my success after the season.

My total pleasure, ctpa.

I wish you GREAT hunting and a fabulous adventure.

My post, which I thought was a rather informative one, has been deleted. Now the Internet Police won't be able to shout me down or insult me. Frankly, I never dreamed that sort of crazy could come from the great state of Iowa ,,, and I was wrong.

At least you, and about a hundred other folks, got the information you wanted from my many years afield.

Please never hesitate to contact me. As I said, I am seldom here because of the insults and shout-downs, but occasionally I check to see if there are PMs in my box. It may take a few weeks, but I will always get back to you (and the Internet Police will be deleted with frickin' absolute prejudice)

God Bless You,

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,
I caught your post before it was deleted. I just want to say thanks for sharing your experience.
Seems many good posters have called it quits for the reasons you have cited.
Sad deal. frown

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by irfubar
Steve,
I caught your post before it was deleted. I just want to say thanks for sharing your experience.
Seems many good posters have called it quits for the reasons you have cited.
Sad deal. frown

Yep, and it sucks.

This was a fabulous site for many years and I loved it, as did you.

Frankly, the ones who insult and shout down should be ejected from the 24HCF, but that isn't happening ... to the sadness of many of us old-timers.

Please send me a PM and I'll send back my personal e-mail. You are free to contact me at any time and I'd be delighted to help you, or just plain "rap," at any time.

Your friend Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dogzapper

I have not been a member as long as you, but have enjoyed the information and wisdom of your posts. I have always counted on your no BS, sound, practical advise coming from years years of in the field experience (both here and from VM mag.) I fear the 'fire has been taken over by many a fire breathing keyboard hunter bad mouthing all who haven't drank their particular flavor of Koolaid.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve: Just got on the site and saw your deleted post. Who deleted it and why?????

Can't imagine you posting anything so bad that it would be censored, especially considering the crap that is allowed on this forum.

I've always looked forward to your posts and learned a lot from them.

Not the least of which was your experience with 120gr BTips, which I now use in my 280, thanks to you!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by southtexas
Not the least of which was your experience with 120gr BTips, which I now use in my 280, thanks to you!

Excellent! Long live the 280 !!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend pointed me in the direction of this thread last night. It was ProudDad who recommended the 7mm-08 and talking to DogZapper about the virtues of 120 grain NBT, lead me down the path of reloading that cartridge with that particular bullet. My wife at the time drew a NM cow tag. In the late firearm season; she t-boned a big cow elk through both shoulders @ 235 yrds with that 120 gr. NBT. The impact spun that elk 180 and dropped it right there. When we quartered the elk, I found that bullet just under the skin on the far side in almost a perfect mushroom. Accuracy wise at the range it was a phenomenal bullet as well as being an incredible hunting bullet.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.