Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I never thought they were worth buying when they were made in Japan.

Ding, ding . . . . Winner, winner, chicken dinner !

As an aside, I don't know how many people I've heard suggest that they (Vortex) were made in Wisconsin. To this point, the the warranty service comes out of Wisconsin, but as of yet there hasn't been a Vortex made, even assembled in Wisconsin. That, supposedly is going to change . . . .

I worked on the jobsite pouring the tip up panels for the main building. The company I work for has a crew there now working on phase 2. According to the Vortex people I had a chance to talk to last summer, they want to move in and start assembly of some products in 2018 with the goal of eventually losing the "made in China" entirely.

Crazy how truth rarely echoes gunshop rumour...

But gunshop rumor is best left on the gunshop floor...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I never thought they were worth buying when they were made in Japan.

Had nothing to do with thought...it's fact.
Vortex is a big or a dice roll as Kimber.
Seems to be an inarguable point on a forum full of gamblers though.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
I still don't own a Vortex product, but IF they start US production, I'll try one.

Go get one. The AMG is made here.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I know a guy who contracts with Chinese optics people to have made optics made for laboratory work. He told me that with the Chinese you get what you ask for- if you want quick and cheap then that's the quality you get. If you ask for the highest quality, then that's what you get. He had better luck having the Chinese make precision lenses and prisms for quantum physics labs than he did with "name" German outfits.

I remember people squawking way back when Japanese optics/cameras got the upper hand on American made stuff. Now the fall guy is the Chinese. I wonder who it'll be in another 40 years? The Brazilians, or perhaps the Moroccans? Maybe the Romanians. Personally, I don't care whose "made by" sticker is on a piece of equipment, as long as it works and hits a price point I can afford.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I know a guy who contracts with Chinese optics people to have made optics made for laboratory work. He told me that with the Chinese you get what you ask for- if you want quick and cheap then that's the quality you get. If you ask for the highest quality, then that's what you get. He had better luck having the Chinese make precision lenses and prisms for quantum physics labs than he did with "name" German outfits.

I remember people squawking way back when Japanese optics/cameras got the upper hand on American made stuff. Now the fall guy is the Chinese. I wonder who it'll be in another 40 years? The Brazilians, or perhaps the Moroccans? Maybe the Romanians. Personally, I don't care whose "made by" sticker is on a piece of equipment, as long as it works and hits a price point I can afford.

I can agree with that statement. Especially the price point issue. Not every man can afford "alpha" products.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And some "alpha" products are made in Japan, including some that have been made there for many years.

Saying this or that country makes junk optics hasn't been true for a long time, due to the realities of global manufacturing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If the Norks keep it up, they'll have plenty of glass for the Chinese to use.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
I am not sure this has been posted on here before, but the news is Vortex is now having all
of their optics made in China.

The Razor and Viper binoculars at least have been made in Japan, for many years.

This is not good news.

How is the Razor going to compete with all of the nice midrange binoculars, such as the
Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid, GPO, Maven, Tract, Monarch HD, Meopta Meostar.
They are all made in Japan or Europe.

These are all in the $999.00 range.

Who is going to pay that for a China made Razor ?

From Vortex's website:

"Nearly every component in the AMG, from the index-matched lenses to smallest screw, is engineered, machined, and assembled in the USA. The only component from outside the USA is the German manufactured reticle. If you're looking for a top-tier long-range precision riflescope, look no further than the Razor HD AMG."

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/razor_hd_amg_riflescope

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I am not sure this has been posted on here before, but the news is Vortex is now having all

The Razor and Viper binoculars at least have been made in Japan, for many years.

This is not good news.

How is the Razor going to compete with all of the nice midrange binoculars, such as the
Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid, GPO, Maven, Tract, Monarch HD, Meopta Meostar.

From Vortex's website:

"Nearly every component in the AMG, from the index-matched lenses to smallest screw, is engineered, machined, and assembled in the USA. The only component from outside the USA is the German manufactured reticle. If you're looking for a top-tier long-range precision riflescope, look no further than the Razor HD AMG."

John

John: Did you notice we are talking Vortex binoculars.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I should have been more clear, when/if(pretty sure it's when) Vortex makes a good 3-9x40(ish) or fixed 4 or 6 power optic in the US I'll buy it. Really the only optics(other than binos) that I use.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

This is not good news.

From Vortex's website:

John

I see those AMG models are very spendy. Not sure of their quality. Vortex has never been in my sights.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

I missed that given that the very first line in the OP says "all of their optics."

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by harv3589
I just got a new Vortex Razor HD 27-60x80 spotting scope...says assembled in USA on bottom

It seems really sharp to me but I will test it out tomorrow spotting antelope.

They're assembled by meopta in the US. They still use the same glass as the earlier Razors..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I missed that given that the very first line in the OP says "all of their optics."

John

smile

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This, from another website seems to contradict the rumor. Of course it could be another rumor.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/is-vortex-moving-everything-to-china-update.824955/

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" Vortex has never been in my sights."

Yet you post completely wrong info about them......brilliant!

I don't even own a Vortex product, so I'm not defending them. I just think it was an idiotic thread to start, all things considered. If you don't know what you're talking about, it's OK to just not say anything.

Jeff

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff

I don't even own a Vortex product, so I'm not defending them. I just think it was an idiotic thread to start, all things considered. If you don't know what you're talking about, it's OK to just not say anything.

Jeff

Pretty obvious Vortex was in his sights...

If a schit slinger has sights...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Jeff

Don't complain about farmers with your mouth full. Feeding the world is our bread and butter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Jeff

Don't complain about farmers with your mouth full. Feeding the world is our bread and butter.

Farmers get a pass for saying stupid schit completely unrelated to farming in your World?

They do not in my World.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just got a pair of Viper HD 10x42's from Cabela's. They say made in China

And they also seem like a great set of glass.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.