Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12196207 08/09/17
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've found a pretty decent deal on a Remington Model 7 in 7mm SAUM... I've always liked the model 7 and wanted on in 7mm-08... however this deal came along.

I'm sure it would be an awesome deer and pronghorn rifle. Although ammo is tough to find.

I do handload. Should I just skip this idea or is it worth messing with?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I love mine.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I love mine.

Do you reload or can you still find ammo to buy? As long as loading components (BrasS) is available It shouldn't be an issue.
-Jake

In God We Trust.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I reload for mine, but have found some ammo on sale from time to time. Ammo is crazy high, when you can find it, even on sale. Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've always liked the model 7 and wanted on in 7mm-08...
-Jake

While I'm quite partial to the 7SAUM and have one myself (M700), I'd get what I wanted in the first place.

If you still want to give it a whirl, Norma brass is available online right now through Midway. (I'm sure there are others)
Just make sure you purchase an ample supply.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My only concern is eventually they'll stop selling components. And I'll be stuck not able to feed it.
-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only concern is eventually they'll stop selling components. And I'll be stuck not able to feed it.
-Jake

You can mitigate that by purchasing enough brass. (Nosler makes it too)
The run of guys building 6.5 SAUM's are to blame for the scrarcity of RP brass. whistle
(well, along with Remington)

If you're a buy-a-bag-of-brass-when-desperately-needed kind of guy, the 7SAUM is not and will not be for you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
If you're worried about brass availability, Bullets.com has 1,000 pieces of Norma brass. Never have to worry about running out. Lol

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Were there any feeding issues with the SAUMs? It's in a Remington Model 7

-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So what do y'all consider the minimum number of cases to inventory in a new cartridge? I'm fairly new to the 7mm SAUM myself (also in a Model 7) and have assembled 300 cases to get started with. Just curious what others think of as minimum.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Honestly, for me, this would not be a high volume shooter. A few of my hunting rifles I go through 300 rds a year. A few I've had for years and shot less than 10 times. It would depend on the volume that you're shooting. For an "average" ball park guess of an average person who hunts an average amount (say two deer per year) and only shoots it a few times before season to verify their zero.... Lets say less than 20 rounds a year.... 300 loaded rounds would last you fifteen years.

If you shoot more you'd need more obviously. My primary concern is a resale value. Allot of my rifles are revolving doors. I'll play with them for a few years then move onto something different. Resale on a "dead" cartridge is kinda keeping me from jumping on this deal.

Really wish it was a 7mm-08

-Jake

In God We Trust.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I get 200 to 500 depending on the rarity. But with tough cases like RWS and others you can wear out a barrel with 300 if using less than dynamite loads.

Really simple to put a false shoulder on a 300WSM neck it down, neck turn, trim then fire it and your good to go. The rim differences usually are not a problem. Try a sample case before buying a supply though. Rims vary among manufacturer and even among different lots on the short mags.

The 270 WSM is pretty mild if loaded around 60,000 psi it is only the max loads that get loud and have any noticeable increase in recoil. The saum is basically a compact 280 AI and a good round. Some target shooters were trying it as a short case can be more consistent. I think most gave up due to shorter barrel life but only a factor for target rifles. I have not tried to load down the 270 but some combo with the 7saum should work to duplicate the 7mm08 if you wanted mid range loads. Basically covers the range from 7-08 & 57 to the 7RM.

I don't think you will regret the purchase at all and the brass sticker shock is a one time thing.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roger that. I wanted a Model 7 with a magnum bolt. I plan to shoot this one. I'm actually more interested in the 6.5 SAUM, but this was a deal on a custom that I couldn't pass up.

I learned one lesson the hard way. I had a very nice Remington 700 VSSF in .308 that I had accurized by a competent smith. It was a .5 MOA shooter with Federal GMM ammo. I wasn't into reloading yet, and didn't know then what I know now. I decided to sell that rifle in favor of another custom rig in .260 Remington. I don't regret the change from .308 to .260; what I regret is that I sold the .308 to buy another rifle when I should have just sent it to Hart to be rebarreled. If/when I lose interest in the 7mm SAUM, I'll have this rifle rebarreled in 6.5.

In your situation, unless there is something really special about the rifle itself, I'd hold out for a 7mm-08. They're not that rare in the Model 7, and it's easy to form 7mm-08 from .308 brass.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Honestly, for me, this would not be a high volume shooter. A few of my hunting rifles I go through 300 rds a year. A few I've had for years and shot less than 10 times. It would depend on the volume that you're shooting. For an "average" ball park guess of an average person who hunts an average amount (say two deer per year) and only shoots it a few times before season to verify their zero.... Lets say less than 20 rounds a year.... 300 loaded rounds would last you fifteen years.

If you shoot more you'd need more obviously. My primary concern is a resale value. Allot of my rifles are revolving doors. I'll play with them for a few years then move onto something different. Resale on a "dead" cartridge is kinda keeping me from jumping on this deal.

Really wish it was a 7mm-08

-Jake

If resale value is a concern for you, I would pass. This is one of those chamberings where if someone wants it...they want it. Most do not. You would be reselling to a limited market.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

If resale value is a concern for you, I would pass. This is one of those chamberings where if someone wants it...they want it. Most do not. You would be reselling to a limited market.

That's what I'm thinking too. It would be a fun toy for a while, but not one I would keep for very long probably and it may be difficult to move. Whereas a 7mm-08 would probably stay in the safe until it went to my kids/grandkids or whatever happens to them when I'm gone.

Would definitely be a fun rifle to play with though
-Jake

In God We Trust.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=GeorgiaBoy]

Would definitely be a fun rifle to play with though
-Jake

Good read on the 7saum: http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html#7SAUM

I think you answered your own question. The 7-08 is no slouch and would be my choice for younger hunters. The 7saum only for fun or if you want/need the extra range ability. But some of this is lost in a light weigh rifle. The model 7 could be converted but only worthwhile if you already knew you wanted a custom bolt & new barrel.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
So what do y'all consider the minimum number of cases to inventory in a new cartridge? I'm fairly new to the 7mm SAUM myself (also in a Model 7) and have assembled 300 cases to get started with. Just curious what others think of as minimum.

I try to get 300 cases together for a new-to-me chambering I plan on keeping.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd just get a 7-08 or a .280 Ackley....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They'll be making brass for it long after you're gone. If there's a market, they'll sell to it. You can burn the barrel out with 300-400 cases.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I love my 7-08, 7-08 ai, 280ai, 7mm saum and 7mmRM. With. 7wsm on the make. I think the saum is tough to beat the model 7 will not love the longer vld projectiles I'm running 150 Lapua scenars in mine with deadly results. But get what you want and like and have fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 48 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.