Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sorry, but the only way I'd believe the 80s to be trash is by my own results.

The need for DRT crap is getting really to be a sore subject with me. You either hit CNS or you don't. Thats the ONLY way to be 100 percent of DRT.

That said, I have a box of 80 ttsx but the 100 ttsx have worked so well for us I have not tried the 80s yet. And no, not even with the 257 wtby and the fast 100 ttsx, do we get DRT shots unless we hit CNS. But they generally don't go very far.

I wonder how these folks would have dealt with patched round balls to hunt with.... or archery gear...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I think you fellas can hunt with whatever lets you sleep at night, but in my opinion there is no better bullet than a Barnes TTSX, especially launched from a fast 7mm or .300 magnum. I don't use .257's for elk and never will. I'm a huge fan of the .257 Roberts and .250-3000 Savage, just not for elk sized beasts. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like Barnes bullets.

But I don't hunt with very small monos driven at mega speeds. Just me.

I posted earlier, the 100 TTSX at 3,250 fps out of my .257R over H100V is a killer and I like it. It works.

With most any bullet, there is an optimal range where it seems to function best; I try to find that balance.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rost495

The need for DRT crap is getting really to be a sore subject with me. You either hit CNS or you don't. Thats the ONLY way to be 100 percent of DRT.

That said, I have a box of 80 ttsx but the 100 ttsx have worked so well for us I have not tried the 80s yet. And no, not even with the 257 wtby and the fast 100 ttsx, do we get DRT shots unless we hit CNS. But they generally don't go very far.

I wonder how these folks would have dealt with patched round balls to hunt with.... or archery gear...

100 % sure is a high standard. I have absolutely no problem believing you don't get DRTs with the .257 'bee and the 100 grain TSX without CNS hits or very solid bone contact. No argument there, I'd be surprised if you did. It doesn't get much better with the bigger ones either.

Where we probably differ is that I know for a fact that I can get instant drops by using softer, lead-core frangible bullets at high speeds that don't hit the spine or brain. I've done it literally hundreds of times. Through the shoulder, frontals, and on a good day pure lung shots. It isn't a 100% thing but it is a more often than not thing.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 07/31/17.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

100 % sure is a high standard. I have absolutely no problem believing you don't get DRTs with the .257 'bee and the 100 grain TSX without CNS hits or very solid bone contact. No argument there, I'd be surprised if you did. It doesn't get much better with the bigger ones either.

Where we probably differ is that I know for a fact that I can get instant drops by using softer, lead-core frangible bullets at high speeds that don't hit the spine or brain. I've done it literally hundreds of times. Through the shoulder, frontals, and on a good day pure lung shots. It isn't a 100% thing but it is a more often than not thing.

There is statistical evidence that WT's travel about half the distance hit with softer bullets than those hit with harder, premium bullets. Observed were South Carolina whitetails, over 400 kills spanning a number of years. I've posted this study several times, thought it was a good time for a review.

DG animals, larger animals are not included, just Southern WTs.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

By your own admission you get some pleasure from trailing game. The problem is this is not a great thing in many locals and its never good for meat quality.

It's not too much to ask that a bullet kill game swiftly when the shot is placed right. With TSX and TTSX bullets this a real crap shoot and they many times do not provide for much of a blood trail, which would hurt your "tracking" efforts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
He told us that the bullet went through what he called No Mans land or the Zip Zone. He said that when Elk are standing there is a space between the top of the lungs and the spine and that is where the bullet passed. I had never heard this term before. He went on to say that he has had to put down Deer and Elk that have arrows protruding from this area.
!

There is NOT a "gap" between the spine and lungs. There is a mechanical lock between the lungs and chest wall, all the way around the spine. If there was a gap... that would be called a pneumothorax and the animal would die. The issue, and why people believe that there is a "no mans land" is because the pine runs very deep in the body, and what people see as the "spine" is actually the spinous process. The spinous process extends 6+ inches up from the top of the spine. As well, hits tobthe high lungs are not as damaging as lower hits.

Originally Posted by specneeds
The bullet placement was "in between" spine and lungs and the rounds were probably close to 3,000 fps or greater for the last shot.

Miles is correct. As above, there is no dead space.

Originally Posted by southtexas
Miles: FWIW, he was discussing elk, not deer .

No mammal has a "gap".

Mostly correct, but there is no mechanical lock between lungs and bone of any kind. Collapsed lungs are sometimes treated by creating one surgically.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

As to the Gap Theory, while there is one in creationism, it's missing in animals. And, no, a one-lung pneumothorax will not necessarily kill and certainly not quickly on a wild, vital big game animal suddenly thrown into flight mode. Humans can walk around with partial pneumo's though they generally don't feel too well. While a hemothorax is a more sure thing depending on how large and the volume of blood lost. A pneumo- without a hemo- on a shot big game animal would be quite unlikely.

The cupola of the lungs run somewhat parallel with the lower edge of the spinal column as far as they go generally and the aorta runs parallel in there too with some anatomical variation in some hoofed animals. Gemsbok have the very long spinous processes that give them the very deep chest look. While arrows and bullets can and do slip through various solid body areas from time to time and may be lost, I'm convinced most, most, of these animals expire.

George, you probably know ungulates are different from humans in the pleura... we have one for each lung (essentially) but ungulates have both lungs in a single. An ungulate with a single pneumothorax will likely find it doubling soon (er) than a human.

I am sure you have heard of bullets passing through the chest without tearing lung tissue, the source of the gap theory. Arrows are very unlikely to do so.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
All I know is that an adequate sized entry hole and a good sized exit wound coupled with internal damage through the vitals forward of the diaphragm usually lets the air out of them pretty quickly. I am constantly amazed at tales of double lung and/or heart shot ungulates running hundreds and hundreds of yards. I have to believe most were due to sorry shooting, but that's just me.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by WAM
All I know is that an adequate sized entry hole and a good sized exit wound coupled with internal damage through the vitals forward of the diaphragm usually lets the air out of them pretty quickly. I am constantly amazed at tales of double lung and/or heart shot ungulates running hundreds and hundreds of yards. I have to believe most were due to sorry shooting, but that's just me.

A quarter horse can cover 440 yards in the low 20s, carrying a rider and live through it. A bored person can hold their breath longer than that. Bleeding to death takes time.

A fatally hit animal can cover a lot of ground in the time it takes to say "I think you hit him pretty good, I think it'll be OK".

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Sore subject or not, I've shot plenty of deer square in both shoulders, not hitting spine, and 100% have dropped on the spot. That's not to say they were dead when they hit the ground. Some kicking or lifting head for a second or something. But over 1/2 of the deer I've shot through both shoulders, dropped on the spot, never got back up. Those were probably got hit in the spine by bullet or bone.

I will also say, all of the deer I've shot, not through both shoulders that ran, were also dead when I found them. None required another shot.

Several shot in one shoulder, ran 20-100 yards. One particularly large bodied buck was shot below the shoulder, but in the leg bone, hitting heart, then out other leg/elbow, ran about 30 yards.

I have had one doe that still baffles me on how long she lived. Shot behind the shoulder, in a perfect lung shot from a .257 R with 117gr Core-lokts. She was standing perfectly broadside, totally standing still, at 40 yards. At the shot she turned 180* and stood still again. I thought I missed. So, I shot again. At the shot, she turned 90* and trotted at me, but I knew I hit her with that shot. She saw me, veered around me, and stood. Stiffened up, and tipped over. She was still trying to get up, so I shot her in the neck.

When I got up to her, there were 4 holes behind her shoulders. 2 in, 2 out. Perfect lung shots, both of them. Sometimes, they just do weird stuff!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Exactly!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

A quarter horse can cover 440 yards in the low 20s, carrying a rider and live through it. A bored person can hold their breath longer than that. Bleeding to death takes time.

A fatally hit animal can cover a lot of ground in the time it takes to say "I think you hit him pretty good, I think it'll be OK".

Great analogy M70Guy!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.