Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Our Caribou trip is rapidly approaching (less than a month!), and I am wondering how most here from the lower 48 get their meat back home from AK (this is provided, of course, we are fortunate enough to get an animal). Carry it back on the plane? Mail it? Other? As far as the antlers, someone here gave a suggestion for sending them back home through the mail, which I intend to do (again, if we get a caribou). Thanks in advance for replies...

Northerner

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To mail antlers you will need to cut the skull plate... last time I did one I bored a large hole up through the inside of the skull plate and bedded a waxed piece of allthread in epoxy. Then I removed the allthread and cut the antler off rather than splitting the skull. When reassembled a little bit of epoxy replaced the bone removed by the saw and the cast epoxy threads makes everything line up correctly.

Flying home with your meat is usually easiest, though not real cheap these days. Some airlines allow first class to check extra bags for free... if you have to pay extra for bags it might make sense to go first class for a bit extra?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would UPS back my clothes. Then have the meat deboned & frozen. Then put in fish boxes from WallyWorld. Make sure each one weighs less than 50 lbs & check as your luggage. I do this with salmon & halibut just about every year.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Alaska airlines is great about meat, fish and antlers so if you're flying with them I'd pack my coolers with filled or frozen meat at 50 pounds per cooler and check it in. Getting your meat home is the cheapest "big thing" you'll face on an out of state hunt.

Have fun and I look forward to your report.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend who's hunted moose in AK the last couple of years, shooting a 63" 2yrs ago, and a 53" last year. Both times he's 'contracted' with a guy that runs a 53' refrigerated semi up the ALCAN from the the lower 48,and back, with the specific purpose of hauling meat, capes, and antlers back for hunters. IIRC, he makes stops in Tok, Fairbanks and Anchorage, and runs as far east as Ohio on the return leg. Not sure of all the details or cost, but a 'reservation is required." I wish I knew the name of the outfit so I could pass it along.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Like Art said, checking extra bags is easiest. I have enough miles on United that I get three free ones. A cooler makes a good piece of checked luggage, pack your gear in one along with àn empty duffel for the trip up. Put 50 lbs of frozen meat in, and clothes to fill up the space, and put the rest of your gear in the duffel for the trip home.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The question is have you identified a means of hard freezing the meat before you get on the plane? The waxed fish boxes taped to the hilt are the ideal way of shipping back fish or meat in 50# increments.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The question is have you identified a means of hard freezing the meat before you get on the plane? The waxed fish boxes taped to the hilt are the ideal way of shipping back fish or meat in 50# increments.

[Linked Image]

Yup, ice chests weigh too much and with 40+ pounds of mass the meat will stay frozen for a couple full days.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I have a friend who's hunted moose in AK the last couple of years, shooting a 63" 2yrs ago, and a 53" last year. Both times he's 'contracted' with a guy that runs a 53' refrigerated semi up the ALCAN from the the lower 48,and back, with the specific purpose of hauling meat, capes, and antlers back for hunters. IIRC, he makes stops in Tok, Fairbanks and Anchorage, and runs as far east as Ohio on the return leg. Not sure of all the details or cost, but a 'reservation is required." I wish I knew the name of the outfit so I could pass it along.
http://alaskameatexpress.com/ $750 for the entire animal which includes, hide/cape, uncut rack, and meat seems pretty reasonable to me.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

[Linked Image]

Yup, ice chests weigh too much and with 40+ pounds of mass the meat will stay frozen for a couple full days.

We run the coolers since we fly to TX. All I can say is in a 5 day cooler, that weighs a few pounds, the top layer of meat has started to thaw a bit by the time we get home. I'd think a box would be dripping by then.

Last time I flew AK with meat, they said once you are over, its up to 100 then, so pay a slight overage and put 100 pounds in a 70 quart cooler and fly on.

Antlers I cut in half, ratchet strap and use a freezer or stove box to wrap in cardboard...

If I have to ship home, its clothes... but we just leave our clothes there now for years alreday so there is not much to pack back and forth generally.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I brought a large box of salmon home from anchorage last August. It was in a box like pictured above. After
removal from freezer in Alaska to my house was about seven hours. There was a little softness on the top layer of fish, but not enough to be a concern.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are not the right boxes. The ones I use have a 2" thick Styrofoam box inside the cardboard box. Freeze the meat/ fish rock hard. Then into the Styrofoam & tape the Styrofoam lid. Then tape the cardboard lid close. It lasts from ANC to the lower 48 with not problem. Boxes are about $15/20 all over Soldotna.

There is one processor there that will pack, freeze, weigh & store your fish/meat till your ready to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the meat is frozen solid, then I recommend Rubbermaid Roughneck totes. I think we primarily use the 18 gallon size, and easily get 60-75#s in one; something like $10 apiece in various Anchorage stores. I typically drill a few holes around the top and use zip-ties to secure the lid. Pretty normal for us to travel to the L48 (normally Charlotte/Atlanta/Orlando) with 150 pounds of meat/fish and I've never had a problem with thawing. They're lightweight, durable, waterproof and inexpensive. If you must, you can line it with newspaper for insulation, but marked as frozen with Alaska airlines has worked just fine. I've transported frozen meat/fish this way on dozens of trips to the L48 and undoubtedly will do it again the next trip to see friends/family.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

Last time I flew AK with meat, they said once you are over, its up to 100 then, so pay a slight overage and put 100 pounds in a 70 quart cooler and fly on.

This is what I was told too. It was cheaper to check one overweight 100lb bag than it was to check 2 50lb bags.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
AA regular fare allows 2 checked bags/boxes up to 50 lbs for $25 each. That's per person. Third checked item is $75.

I agree with the waxed box or tote method. Or just go to Fred Meyer, they'll sort you out smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Yup, ice chests weigh too much.....

Depends entirely on the cooler. There are plenty of inexpensive lightweight Igloos and Colemans to pick from. Not the best coolers, but plenty good enough for shipping meat.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For my 2015 Alaskan moose hunt, I brought back 75#'s of the best cuts of meat, 25#'s salted cape and I believe it was 40#'s of moose rack. IIRC it cost me another $200 at the Delta ticket desk in ANC. I did this based on the recommendations of my long time guide. He said after many years of logistics with multiple transporters, it was easier and safer to put it on the plane with you. The costs are about the same he said and you have no worries about the whereabouts of the frozen meat, etc. from another shipper.
When I arrived back in MSP, it was all sitting at the oversize check-in office near the luggage carousel.
Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what happened to the rest of the moose meat?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
we dont ship to conus , or comus as some of the boobs on here type it. , lol. The airline you leave on is your best option.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what happened to the rest of the moose meat?

my guess is either the outfitter donated it to a local village or if they were like us, we shipped it back to our hometowns and chewed on it through the winter, with the correct transferal of possession paperwork.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,068
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.