Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
16gauge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Trying to find some information on Choanoke outfitters out of North Carolina.........anybody have any personal experience with these folks? Looking for any info.....good, bad, or indifferent.

4 years ago I planned a hunt with a N.C. outfitter that is close by to this one; it was a very, VERY negative experience: 20 hunters/1 bathroom, bad food, no deer, indifferent guides, etc, etc,.......I took a friend who had never been on a trip out of state before; the severely negative experience left him not wanting to take a chance and go out of state anymore.
I booked this hunt based on internet reviews and their website; to say that they lied is an understatement!! Negative reviews (he is still getting them) are quickly buried by friends and relatives posted positive reviews........I would think if you were going to cheat someone with a positive review, you would at least be smart enough to change your name so as it wasn't the same as the outfitters. frown
.....at any rate, I am trying to find out, with out asking directly, if this outfitter (Choanoke) is a friend/relative to the individual I hunted with previously, and if not, what type of experience he offers............thanks in advance.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have never hunted with any outfitters in this area but I hunt land close by and although there are alot of deer it's not a place to expect to see many big bucks.
Don't get me wrong, there are nice deer taken every year here but for what these outfitters charge I would go somewhere like Texas. If you live close enough it's cheaper to just join a club here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington is spot on. We hunt the same general area. Yep, lots of freezer deer but the the big bucks are on the private farms that manage for them. You can pay a yearly membership in a club for the same cost as a 3 or 5 day hunt. I would look elsewhere unless you just want to fill your coolers with meat. Ohio is where I would pay to hunt.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto on everything posted above. Lots of sheer numbers of deer but very, very few big trophy type bucks.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd pay to hunt a Plantation in SC.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 16gauge
Trying to find some information on Choanoke outfitters out of North Carolina.........anybody have any personal experience with these folks? Looking for any info.....good, bad, or indifferent.

4 years ago I planned a hunt with a N.C. outfitter that is close by to this one; it was a very, VERY negative experience: 20 hunters/1 bathroom, bad food, no deer, indifferent guides, etc, etc,.......I took a friend who had never been on a trip out of state before; the severely negative experience left him not wanting to take a chance and go out of state anymore.
I booked this hunt based on internet reviews and their website; to say that they lied is an understatement!! Negative reviews (he is still getting them) are quickly buried by friends and relatives posted positive reviews........I would think if you were going to cheat someone with a positive review, you would at least be smart enough to change your name so as it wasn't the same as the outfitters. frown
.....at any rate, I am trying to find out, with out asking directly, if this outfitter (Choanoke) is a friend/relative to the individual I hunted with previously, and if not, what type of experience he offers............thanks in advance.

You know, you might want to try another state.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
16 Gauge,

You might try Blackwater Outfitters in SC. Their property borders our property so I can tell you for sure that there are lots of deer. If you are looking for a giant trophy, I think you are better served in Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa or Kansas. If you just want to have a fun hunt, Blackwater should be able to provide that for you. Blackwater has a web page so you can look them up. Best time to hunt in SC is last week of October or first two weeks of November. Don't come in December as the deer have been hunted hard for three months by then (season starts in mid August ....next week smile )

Dan

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 16gauge

Sounds like you went to Cutawhiskie Creek.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
16 Gauge,

You might try Blackwater Outfitters in SC. Their property borders our property so I can tell you for sure that there are lots of deer. If you are looking for a giant trophy, I think you are better served in Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa or Kansas. If you just want to have a fun hunt, Blackwater should be able to provide that for you. Blackwater has a web page so you can look them up. Best time to hunt in SC is last week of October or first two weeks of November. Don't come in December as the deer have been hunted hard for three months by then (season starts in mid August ....next week smile )

Dan

They have a nice lodge grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by moosemike

When you find one worth a crap let me know

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
North Carolina is closed for out of state non resident hunters. The numbers just aren't what they used to be. Just kidding. Come on down, bring your Yeti and shoot six dinks.

Last edited by fats; 08/08/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I have a friend who goes to the Deerfield Plantation annually. He recommends it highly.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I have a friend who goes to the Deerfield Plantation annually. He recommends it highly.

Unless it has changed ownership, I hunted that about 15 years ago and I saw exactly 2 does , a good sized flock of turkeys and a panther in 5 days of hunting. My buddy and I stayed in the guest cabin which was just finished at the time.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I know of a lodge in SC called Waccamaw lodge, the guy that runs it is kind of cranky but he does have nice deer on the property and he takes small groups of hunters , usually 2-5 at a time. He has 12k plus acres to hunt on . I have seen some nice bucks on the property .

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hunted with Rick at Waccamah Hunting Services in Hemingway SC, about an hour or so from Myrtle beach. The man lives and breathes to make your hunt a success. If you do a deer package in the fall, you get a deer a day, if I remember correctly, and all the wild boar you want free. Coyotes and Bob Cats are free too. We did two Boar hunts in the spring, I got a 220 pounder the first year, and was looking for a smaller eating pig the second year, and got a 150 pounder. Bunk house has two bedrooms and two baths, great room with lots of mounts and a kitchen. Deer hunts he serves two meals. Pig hunts you get use of the kitchen, but fix your own. He hunts 5 people a week on about 14,000 acres for deer season. He only takes four a week for pigs. There are more Turkey there than I could start to count. My first pig was shot on Arcadia Plantation, that was worth the hunt to me.

Oops, I just looked up and saw oldelkhunter hunted with Rick also.

I found if you blindly followed his instructions he was very pleasant. He told us "Please follow my instructions now. If you don't understand, or think they are stupid, wait till we get back to ask why. I want you to have a successful hunt, and I want the next guy to have a successful hunt also. The next guys hunt is often set by what you do now." That was enough explanation for me. One of our guys had early signs of Alzheimer's and his short term memory was shot. Every thing Rick told us not to do, my friend did. You would see Ricks neck start to turn red, then his ears, then the top of his head. You could see he wanted to explode. Then he would look at my buddy and say, "Now Mr. Jim, what did I say about leaving your stand. Or, "Now Mr. Jim, what did I say about talking out side the truck when spreading bait?".I can take his cranky side fine. I also liked his sense of humor. He had a bunch of stands in trees with Spanish Moss all over them. When we were leaving my other buddy asked if he could pull some Moss down, his wife teaches kindergarten, and thought the kids would like to see some. Rick said, "Sure, just make sure you rinse it out good with dish soap, the stuff is full of Chiggers, and will eat you alive." I asked if it was full of Chiggers, why did he have stands up in it. He said, "Those stands are for the clients that don't listen"

I'm planning a deer hunt for 2018. He has a size limit of 8 points and 15 inch spread, so I think his herd stays pretty healthy. I recommend him, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I have been to most of the lodges in NC and SC over the years. I would put Waccamaw above pretty much all of them

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (44mc, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.