Print Thread
Hop To
R
R_Blat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hello all. I don't post much on the fire, but get great information daily. I figured I'd give this a try... I'm looking into getting a peep sight for my #1 in 45-70. I've been looking at the skinners and was curious what others thought or had experience with. I'm also open to other brand ideas or suggestions. I am familiar with the Williams WGRS, as I have a few on other guns. Open to every bodies thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Ryan

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
NECG (New England Custom Gun) makes one that mounts in the rear scope ring notch on the rib. I haven't used one but have heard good reports from others who have and would likely be my first choice for that rifle.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have the Skinner on a No. 1 in .458 win. As well, I have several on Marlin 1895's. They are very well made, shoot great, and the customer service is fantastic. With the Ruger, I use it with the NECG sourdough post front sight (skinner doesn't make theirs for a No.1). I have used the XS site and the NECG, I would say the Skinner is my first choice for a peep sight (NECG next).

Good luck.

Eric

R
R_Blat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the replys fellas! I will look into the NECG sight and see what they have to offer.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a NECG on my 450/400 and switched to a Skinner. With my loads (400 gr. @ 2120 fps) I got 1 1/2" low @ 100 yds, raised the sight 1/2 turn (the minimum amount) and the group was 4 1/2" high with the NECG sight. Switched to the Skinner and it was about the same distance (6") with half a turn. However, the Skinner lets you see a whole lot more because it doesn't have the "ears" that the NECG has. I did then go to a shorter (by 0.033") front sight that I had to purchase through Brownell's and I am exactly at point of aim at 100 yds. now. Either sight makes, in my opinion, the No. 1 much nicer to carry than with a scope and, I think, the lines are preserved. Both being aperture sights, the target acquisition is very fast. Good luck with whichever you decide. Terry

IC B2

R
R_Blat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the great first hand advice Terry. I currently have a compact 2.5x leupy on it now, but also agree that it would be a joy to carry and handle with a peep. The gun is currently at the smith's getting the throat lengthened to accept longer bullets, as 405's would not even slide into the chamber. Hopefully I can decide on a peep before it is done!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have both Skinners and XS peeps. My favorite are Skinners. I also have, on my Marlin 1895 a sight that is an aperture blade that replaces the blade with the notch on the factory rear sight of the 1985. I have not wrung it out completely so I do not know if I will stay with it. But, so far, it is doing really well. I had been skeptical of barrel mounted peeps until I tried one on a 22lr and discovered that it was fast and deadly. The blade is called "one ragged hole". I do not have the website, but Warren is the company name.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
R
R_Blat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I looked up the warren sights. I like the pricing! Much cheaper than a skinner. As far as looks go, I think it's going to be hard to beat a skinner though. Since I have never delt with one before, it may be the one to go with since everyone seems to really like them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Skinner on my .45-70 and it works very well. I bought the largest aperture and am very happy with it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the NECG on my No1 in 405Win and like it quite a bit.They also now have a ghost ring model that might work for you.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot a No. 1 in .405 Winchester with a Skinner and it was no problem to ring steel way out there. I would go with the Skinner on a hunting rifle.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had both. Didn't like the older style of NECG where you couldn't remove the aperture to 'ghost' it (maybe the new one is different?). I ended up drilling out the aperture on my 77/44...pretty easy and makes a big diff.

However, once I went Skinner (with NECG partridge front) there was no going back. Much sleeker and taking out the aperture gives you a great ghost site with quick acquisition. I've got another coming for my 9.3 Mouse.

Here's some pics of the one on my RSI...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
R
R_Blat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for all the responses guys! I have a good feeling about going with the skinner. That's a beautiful rifle mojo! I really like my #1 with the compact scope, but I think I will like it a lot better with the skinner. With the thick woods here in central PA, it will be right at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some things to think about before buying.

I have a Skinner, two XS "Ghost Ring" sights and an NECG ghost ring to compare although not all are specifically for a #1.

If you have already mounted a scope on your #1, make sure you can still remove the rearmost rib screw. It sits right between the scope mounting dovetails and if you've really cranked down on the base screw it can squeeze the rib and physically lock that screw in place, plus the screw is not made of hardened metal that I can see and the allen head strips out really easily. If it is locked in you will have to find some way to remove it before you could mount a Skinner or an XS.

The Skinner comes standard with a threaded stem which needs Skinner apertures - it can use a Williams style but only if it is cranked up enough to allow their greater diameter to clear the base. XS makes a threaded stem that you have to buy separately but it can use either Williams or Skinner screw in apertures. NECG does not offer a threaded aperture at all, you have to choose between three set diameters although one is a .210 "ghost ring" style. I like a large aperture but prefer a little more metal around it so I ended up drilling out their medium aperture to about .190 or so. They're thinking about making a threaded stem but apparently it takes a large design team and six months of contemplation to get it done, at least that's only a slightly exaggerated impression I got when I talked to someone there about getting one.

One the plus side, the NECG fits the factory scope dovetails so if that screw won't come out you can still use the NECG sight. I have their ghost ring sight on a Model 77 Hawkeye and it is a very well made sight, those side ribs don't seem to get in the way and they sure do protect that little aperture stem sticking up there. With any replacement rear sight you'll sometimes have to juggle the adjustment range and tpi of the rear with a properly sized front blade to make it all work together. Another neat thing about the NECG is that you can take it off if you want to mount a scope for whatever reason, then remount it and as long as you tighten the mounting screw so it aligns the same it comes right back to zero. I've removed mine from my 77 two or three times and it holds zero every time. A penny in the screw slot provides enough torque to tighten it down against the repeated recoil of a .30-06 so it doesn't have to be farmer tight and can still be removed easily.

The XS is a neat little arrangement and with opposing set screws for windage adjustment. By knowing their tpi count you can use simple geometry to make more precise windage adjustments than just the guess and by golly of the Skinner or NECG. But I have a bone to pick with them about those 8x40 set screws. They work, but it bugs me that they give you little slotted head screws that won't take much torque at all without getting buggered up, and you can get any size replacement allen head set screw in the world except 8x40. Again, not a big deal, just my private rant against a small flaw in an otherwise good peep sight.

They are all well made so all would give you good service, they are obviously far less susceptible to damage than a scope and lots lighter, too. Of the three, the Skinner is probably the most rugged. You'd have to hit their aperture stem with a very large hammer to even begin to damage it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
R_Blat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thank you for such a good reply Jim! I will be checking into the rear base screw before I do anything. I do like the idea of being able to remove the NECG and replace with scope.... definitely something to consider. Thanks again sir! You were a great amount of help and very thought provoking.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Generally speaking I like the Skinners. I have them on several of my Marlin lever guns. I do not like the windage adjustment for their #1 model, the long plate pivots side to side. I do like the removable feature of the NECG sight much better as well as it's adjustment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That Skinner set up is slick but the folks at NECG are such a pleasure to deal with.
And drilling out the aperture is no big deal.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 69 invisible), 2,849 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.