Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Anyone know if Kimber will sell me a set? I had a smith look at a few things on my .260 to see what could be done to help accuracy and got it back missing a few pieces...I haven't been able to find them on the net. Hopefully he will find the missing parts, but just in case I guess I will call Kimber in the morning. This gun is cursed.

Anyone know if any other types will work (700 adl, etc)?

BP-B6

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd call Kimber and explain the circumstances.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
They will hook you up.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Call Kimber,and find a better smith. Is his name Bubba? Do the Kimber checkup thread stuff and learn to do that stuff and bed your own guns. You will save money and a lot of aggravation ahead.

I would try to find a good smith with a good borescope to look at that rifle. Kimber had some bad 260 barrels. Don't give up. The platform is worth a rebarrel and you can send it somewhere like Lilja to be rebarreled if you have a bad one. If your smith finds barrel issues with a borescope,give Kimber a try to replace it before you do it yourself.

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I did the Kimber checkup stuff, but I didn't do the bedding. I have "bedded" a couple of rifles and they improved accuracy wise but they didn't look as good as they should. On this one, the shank of the barrel seems to be hitting the stock while there is still a significant gap under the action at the front action screw. This would induce stress as I torque it down. I may go ahead and try to bed this one myself. It does shoot 120gr sierras around an inch with a max charge of RL19. Every other load I've tried (several bullet and powder combos) is 4-5" at 100.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
I did the Kimber checkup stuff, but I didn't do the bedding. I have "bedded" a couple of rifles and they improved accuracy wise but they didn't look as good as they should. On this one, the shank of the barrel seems to be hitting the stock while there is still a significant gap under the action at the front action screw. This would induce stress as I torque it down. I may go ahead and try to bed this one myself. It does shoot 120gr sierras around an inch with a max charge of RL19. Every other load I've tried (several bullet and powder combos) is 4-5" at 100.

If you can rock the action from front to rear action screw,I would say bedding would definitely help. The tutorial Brad posted helped me a bunch. Mine looked pretty good and made a difference. I would show you except Photobucket screwed it up.Brad's post is in this forum somewhere,but I suppose the great pictures are gone.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yeah call Kimber and send your smith the bill. Last I checked with them it was $80 for the box spring and follower. You will likely have to do some smooth talking or they will want you to send the rifle back so they can "fit" these parts. They will bill you $20 for the fitting too... their customer service is terrible, but I keep buying montanas!

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
They will no doubt want you to send the rifle in. One needs those parts to convert a Hunter to a Montana, and they know it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by qwk
They will no doubt want you to send the rifle in. One needs those parts to convert a Hunter to a Montana, and they know it.

Wouldn't one also need a Montana stock,and wouldn't the cost of both exceed the price of a Montana? One would think that it would be to their advantage to sell separately.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by qwk

Wouldn't one also need a Montana stock,and wouldn't the cost of both exceed the price of a Montana? One would think that it would be to their advantage to sell separately.
They wont sell you a Montana stock without sending in a Montana with a damaged stock. Baffling how a business setup to make money, doesnt want to make money.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They sold me a mag box and offered a follower too, but had to get managerial approval beforehand. A hinged floorplate would be the uber-hard part to source. Yes, a Rem 700 follower and spring works but to my eye, not the box.They all can be readily fubar'd.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Yes, a Rem 700 follower and spring works but to my eye, not the box.They all can be readily fubar'd.

I don't like the follower in my .308 Montana. Are you saying I can install a milled Remington 700 SA follower and spring in the Kimber 84M? That's pretty slick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by qwk

They wont sell you a Montana stock without sending in a Montana with a damaged stock. Baffling how a business setup to make money, doesnt want to make money.

They sold me one with just a simple phone call.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shankbone
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Yes, a Rem 700 follower and spring works but to my eye, not the box.They all can be readily fubar'd.

I don't like the follower in my .308 Montana. Are you saying I can install a milled Remington 700 SA follower and spring in the Kimber 84M? That's pretty slick.

Yes. And they'll sell you a second magazine well and follower too. grin

I found joy the second time around using the Kimber follower. All the springs I could source seem weak as heck, but, got it working slick, and it's a dandy little rifle. Mine had a glob of epoxy in the mag well complicating chit from the start.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.