Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Bear with me guys, probably a dumb question but here goes....I have been hunting and shooting for 25 years but basically only shoot in October-December. Last year I purchased a new rifle and decided that I'm going to shoot more regularly to better my skills and because it's so much fun. The question is, what kind of care does a rifle need in the hot summer weather? I understand I can't shoot a bunch of 5-10 shot strings unless I want a new barrel, but I plan on shooting 5-10 shots maybe a couple times a month. Normally I don't clean my gun till done hunting but it does get wiped down regularly with clp. Anything I need to do different? It's a walnut stocked Hawkeye.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My rule of thumb is to shoot as long as I can touch the barrel and keep my hand on it while checking it. If not, let the barrel cool. It also cools quicker if standing on its stock. As far as cleaning, I clean it after every range session which is usually 50 rounds. Other than that, treat the exterior like you would in the Fall. Other than that, enjoy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just control the humidity it's exposed to, clean it when you think you need to, watch your heat like dev says.
In fact, your getting the gun out rather than letting it "rot" is a good thing for any gun, you can catch "bad" things with every handling.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use corrosion X then wax. My biggest problem is sweat so I keep a wipe down rag in each case and use it anytime I handle the gun. When dove hunting in the heat the rag comes with me as my shotgun has a worn coin finish that seems to rust if you look at it wrong.

Just watch out for putting hot weapons into an air conditioned car as you can get condensation. If you let them cool some the case is usually enough insulation to prevent this.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Craig2506
Bear with me guys, probably a dumb question but here goes....I have been hunting and shooting for 25 years but basically only shoot in October-December. Last year I purchased a new rifle and decided that I'm going to shoot more regularly to better my skills and because it's so much fun. The question is, what kind of care does a rifle need in the hot summer weather? I understand I can't shoot a bunch of 5-10 shot strings unless I want a new barrel, but I plan on shooting 5-10 shots maybe a couple times a month. Normally I don't clean my gun till done hunting but it does get wiped down regularly with clp. Anything I need to do different? It's a walnut stocked Hawkeye.

I don't know your location, but if there's any humidity above 50% I'd suggest that, after you wipe it down thoroughly, you store it in a climate-controlled room. As to shooting in heat, one other tip - always keep the ready ammo in the shade or, at least, out of the direct sun. Hot ammo can raise pressures quite a bit and the shooter can have a bit of risk of injury..

I usually refuse to work up loads in any temp above 75F. If shooting in hot weather, 3-5 shots and I let the barrel cool to air temp before another batch.

Happy shooting!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
After shooting, especially in hot weather, I first wipe the gun down with a damp (not wet) rag or paper towel in order to remove any sweat, which contains salt. Salt, of course, is very conducive to rust. Then I wipe with a light oil to prevent rust.

A damp wipe won't leave much moisture, and it will evaporate right away.

Ditto to what Redneck said about hot ammo. Cooking .22 ammo seems to do something to the lube, and it can mess up accuracy. I live in the desert, and am very careful about that. In hot weather I carry my ammo to the range in a large baggie, in my cooler.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.