Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Granted it's been a lot of years, but broke my 2nd stock on my orig guide gun

1st time it happened on a float hunt miles from nowhere

So I'm over that chit
Admittedly I'm hard on gear, ''tis why I won't run Williams firefights on them, too fragile, why yes I bent one of those thanks for asking

And while I'd like synthetic wwg is the only place I can find em and they want $600 last I checked, lil too rich for my blood

So ordered from Boyd's

Holy chit can't even close the lever with it in place

Drexel it out also gonna have some extra wood hanging

It may be it's cause I've got a conventional lever on it. My other ones have loop levers

Anyway before I go full wood butcher thought I might ask you fellers if any are sporting Boyd's and how it fit from the factory

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I fit up scads of them when I was working at WWGs. It isn't necessarily that the stocks aren't made well, it's that Marlin tangs vary tremendously in all dimensions. If you tried your stock set on 10 different 1895s you'd have either wood or metal hanging out in at least 10 different locations.

Here's my advice. Take the hammer, spring, and strut out of your rifle. Cover the top and bottom of the tangs, the visible parts when you look at the rifle with it's stock on, with two layers of blue painters tape trimmed off the sides or anywhere else they are supposed to contact the wood. Use your Dremel if you're careful or wood chisels if you're either careful or just like a better chance of an ER visit and getthe inside to fit. Take it back apart, wax, Pam, Oneshot, whatever then glass with your choice of epoxy or whatnot. With it still on your taped up rifle and your "glass" dried up, carefully file down the proud wood to within 1/32 or so of the metal, if you're good you can run it right down until you cut through the first layer of tape. Pop the stock off now and open up the center where the hammer spring sits with a rat tail file or your Dremel, don't forget the horizontal hole the hammer strut pokes into, sometimes Boyds doesn't drill these sometimes they do. Next drill the hole for the tang screw out slightly oversized, you don't want it to contact the screw, at best it bends the screw at worst, and normally, it splits your new stock. Finish sand your filed area and put a couple coats of Helmsman on and blend them with your choice of "wool", I use bronze.

Not counting cure time for the "glass" I have or had about 45 minutes actual labor in one, producing a factory level product, not a masterpiece but not bad either.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the detailed DIY, Kid. I suspect that a lot of us have had these questions/problems, and just weren't askin' em. The "safety warning" doesn't hurt either (no pun intended)....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
TheKid, much obliged, some good advice in your post

The rifle it's sposed to go on I purchased from wwg more than a few years ago now

Now I just gotta figure out how to get you to fbks (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is Boyd's making a laminated stock for the Guide Gun?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep Paul they do. I bought 1 for mine. But it's pistol grip instead of straight. I don't have time today mess with it so far it's at gunsmith for some serious carving & fitting

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't run with guns or gun stocks - Boyd's or any other make for that matter.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I don't run with guns or gun stocks - Boyd's or any other make for that matter.

always glad to hear it, your hunting pards must appreciate that fact. I know of several trophy caribou, a few bears and some fine dang sheep that met their demise after a sprint to get in position for a shot before the animal was gone. (actually took my rifle with too)

I'm at an age now, even if I do "run" it looks more like a lumbering stagger.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.