Trump Won!
GB1

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I will be heading out with these folks in a month or so. I count on Wade Derby for my booked hunts and he has never let me down. A pile less money than John Sharp and I believe it will be a great 12 day buff/sable/?? hunt.

http://lowveldhunter.com/index.html

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recommend both.

Sell body fluids....
and/or your body.
Deliver papers.
Borrow against your 401k.
Sell a horse.
Or just smash it on your VISA.
You're single.
Drink cheap beer.

After being to Africa in May,
I would say do it sooner rather than later.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The first time I went to an SCI show I went out of my way to shake the hands of two PH's. One was Luke Samaras, and the other was John. A true gentleman.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am going to be booking with John in 2019...just trying to nail down the dates.

So don't you all be tying him up the entire season!! wink

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the record, I have not hunted with John yet....but based on ftf and numerous other communications, not to mention all the endorsements, I am quite comfortable making my first DG hunt with him.

Tim

Last edited by Tarbe; 08/26/17.

USMC 0351

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Will you be seeing him at one of the conventions?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Will you be seeing him at one of the conventions?

Yes sir.

Trying to snag him for dinner Friday night at DSC and will also bug him at his booth.

He just happens to be next to John Rigby this year...so I may have to apologize when I appear distracted at times!!

My wife and I visited with John at length during DSC 2015. I was hoping to be hunting with him this year, but life conspired to foil that plan.

We are now going to shoot for '19. I'll be ready to snag dates at DSC...checkbook in hand!

Tim

USMC 0351

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI, John is penning his first book and last I asked he was trying to have it ready for the DSC. BETTER GET YOUR ORDER(s) in early for the first printing.

I had the pleasure of spending 14 days in the Bubye with John in 2009 and I am way past due for our next chapter.

The consummate PH and gentleman as well. You simply will be happy with your choice. I will answer any questiin you may have about John and the BVC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well sir....so long as you are offering....

Which area(s) in the BVC did you hunt in 2009 and for which game?

Did you find certain camps/areas excelled for certain animals, and was there any flexibility in moving from area to area as target species changed?

Does John have any pet peeves one should know about? Besides not being safe with the rifle, or being able to shoot well, that is!!

Of course, Jorge or anyone else who has had the pleasure of hunting with John should feel free to chime in as well.

Thanks gents!

Tim

Last edited by Tarbe; 09/05/17.

USMC 0351

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted Fimbiri and Malangana (sp). Animals taken were sable, buffalo, zebra, bush pig, wildebeest, bush buck, waterbuck and impala. Not taken were nyala, kudu, eland and giraffe. Saw leopard and elephant but were not hunted.

Camp at Fimbiri was very nice although John had cooks that he was not comfortable with which was a small problem but did not take away from the enjoyment of the camp.

As noted John has an exceptional tracker he has used for years.HIs hunting equipment is first class.

You will find his company to be enjoyable and highly educational.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As MG related, 100% top notch operation. John is a hard ass when it comes to the staff though and it works. I hunted Malangani twice, where I shot what is probably my best trophy, a 59" kudu and most of my PG including a nice blue eland bull. Also hunted Dande North with John when it was owned by Swainson's safari. Today I think the Bubye (which includes the former malangani) is a superb place to hunt. You will not be disappointed. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks gents.

How is the night critter hunting in the BVC? Small cats and Hyena in particular?

USMC 0351

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of civet cats. Hyenas not as plentiful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Lots of civet cats. Hyenas not as plentiful.

I guess the 500 Lions are pretty hard on the Hyena....along with pretty much everything else!

USMC 0351

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI - I found out today why John is going to be near the Rigby booth this year at DSC, vs in the BVC booth.

He is now Rigby's "Gentleman of Adventure-Africa". They wanted him nearby the Rigby booth.

Not sure what that title entails, but any time Rigby says they want you and your name affiliated with their brand...well, that's a big deal in my mind!

Congratulations to John!

Also, he is pushing the printer hard to get "Facing Down Fear" ready for the 2018 shows, but too early to know if it will happen. Stay tuned!

Also picked up the rifle I plan to carry while chasing Buffalo with John in 2019...Boddington Buffalo Ruger No 1 in 450-400 Nitro Express. I have it packed along with 4 different handloads in case it is slow in the office tomorrow (and not raining) and I can sneak off to Pearland to bust a few caps.

These next 21 months are going to take forever!

USMC 0351

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You will have a great trip no doubt. I just returned from Matetse with Lowveld Hunters (Jannee Meyer's, recently deceased, and son Steven outfit) and had a great 12 days.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the update, Tarbe. Yeah, John's been working with Rigby for a couple of years now. As you probably know, he has a very nice 1920's vintage 470. You will have a great time

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Was my Dream hunt but health troubles ended that! hope some you can go and post on here so guys like me can sort of live it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Tarbe
FYI - I found out today why John is going to be near the Rigby booth this year at DSC, vs in the BVC booth.

He is now Rigby's "Gentleman of Adventure-Africa". They wanted him nearby the Rigby booth.

Not sure what that title entails, but any time Rigby says they want you and your name affiliated with their brand...well, that's a big deal in my mind!

Congratulations to John!

Also, he is pushing the printer hard to get "Facing Down Fear" ready for the 2018 shows, but too early to know if it will happen. Stay tuned!

I'm sure his well-used and somewhat famous double rifle has something to do with it! It's a beautiful old gun, and John has been a more than worthy owner.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.